Need Help With Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Other Long Gun Talk' started by buckaroobanzaiX, Jul 27, 2010.

1. buckaroobanzaiX

buckaroobanzaiX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a Chinese T53 that every once in awhile won't extract a spent round. This seems to happen most when the rifle really heats up and I don't pull the bolt back with enough "authority". It does have some serious sticky bolt that I'm fixing too, would that have any effect? Any advice?

2. VinnAY

VinnAY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found with my 1929 Tula M-N that it needs a deliberate pull of the bolt in both directions, if I try to be lazy about it or easy then I have some sort of malfunction. Regardless of whatever it's past life is/was, I've only put about 20rds on it.

3. MichaelHC

MichaelHC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have two Mosins, one of them has always worked beautifully (1944 M38 ), the other has always been a pain in the a$$ (1945 M44). I just pulled the two bolts out of them to compare and noticed that the extractor on my M44 is noticeably more worn (rounded edges) than that of my M38. The M38 has nice sharp edges to it. The tension on my M44 extractor also seems to be less than my M38, nothing scientific, just a finger test. I suppose an extractor that is worn enough could cause your problems, especially as it heats up. Maybe get ahold of another gun to compare it to... or just buy another one, they're cheap!:p

4. Schoentown

Schoentown XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you tried cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge brass brush dipped in Hoppes or another solvent attached to a drill? Try it on low speed and really clean it up. It worked for me. Lots of good info on 7.62x54r.net.

5. buckaroobanzaiX

buckaroobanzaiX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did the drill thing last night and hopefully that will get her done. I'm also hearing that because of difference in dimensions some MN's just don't like to eat certain types of ammo. Hopefully it just doesn't like steel cased Polish surplus.

6. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 5
    My Type 53 does the same thing...but its a ratty condition rifle and I don't expect perfect operation.

That said, you just don't get that problem with a 98 Mauser - that big claw extractor means the bolt cycles with authority...all the time. The 98 Mauser is a MUCH smoother feeder than any Mosin.

- brickboy240

7. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    This. Mosin sticky-bolt is most often a combination of residual cosmoline and melted case lacquer forming a close, personal relationship when subjected to a hot chamber and a little bit of expansion after firing. A good cleaning with a power-tool assist will usually clear up the problem.

I had a 91/30 that choked on Czech silver-tip (lacquered), but would cycle Bulgarian brass-cased with no hang-ups at all. Also as suggested, it never hurts to try different ammo. Copper-washed Russian has a pretty good reputation for good cycling.