Need help, lost faith in my XDm

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by CavScout88, Nov 30, 2012.

1. CavScout88

CavScout88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, the other day I was just putting a mag of 165gr FMJ through my XDm40since needed a monthly cleaning anyway and hadn't shot it. After firing, thepin directly above the magazine release was protruding a couple millimeters. Ipushed it back in, easily. Now I'm worried, 'come zombies, will my go-to-warpistol lose a pin in the field?!' This pistol isn't new and worked just finethrough a number of Action Pistol matches and lots of range time.

My question, what should I do to make sure thispin (or any pin in the plastic frame) doesn't come out again, short of me punchingit out?

Thanks!

2. usmc2311

usmc2311 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    trade it for a glock... just kidding take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out are you going to risk your life over a little bit of money

3. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glock? NEVER!

Gunsmith... I was going to ask if I should send it in to Springfield, but it seemed too petty. I'm lucky though, my LGS is an AR15, Springfield XD, and Mossberg armorer. Pretty much has me covered. Wonder what he knows about AK's.

What would a LGS or anyone do for this issue though? Is there anything that can be done?

4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Never say never.

Glock 23 is on my short list to buy.
    Besides, I hear they have cookies on the dark side....

5. CavScout88

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot and RELOAD 40SW and I'm not sure if they finally resized the chamber yet, even in the Gen4's.

Either way, doesn't offer anything over what I have now. In fact, I consider an XDm a little higher up than a Glock, but just INHO. No matter what you pay though, still can get a fluke problem like I'm having. Although... the pin only did it once.

6. XDM9guy

XDM9guy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The pin directly above the mag release holds the trigger in place and is held in by the same spring that holds the slide stop/release down. If the slide release feels loose, or doesn't have any resistance when pushing it up, then it is possible that the spring is broken.

You can also try pushing the pin in a little, from left to right with the gun facing away from you. It should take a bit of pressure for it to disengage from the spring, only push it about 1/8". If it snaps free, then push it back in and it should snap back in place. If it doesn't snap in and out of position then it is possible that the spring is broken. if it feels like it snaps in place then you should be good to go.

Craig