need CB help

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Stoller, May 5, 2009.

1. Stoller

Stoller XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    im lookin at some cobras they had at frys. wondering if any of you guys had any better suggestions. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Stoller

haha. i must be blind. i thought that thumbs down thing was a question mark. my bad.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Uniden used to make the older Cobras, both are a great radio for the money but I went with Uniden and have 2 of them. Take it to a radio shop and get the thing tweaked a bit and add on a Astatic mike too.

Also, remember that a good radio with a junk antena will be a junk radio. Dont slack on the antena and make sure you get it matched.

3. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +227 / 8
    I wouldn't bother with a brand new radio. You can pick up old CB radios from fleabay, and other sources cheap. Cobra makes some really nice radios at the upper end of their product range, but they're expensive for the new ones. Look for an old Cobra 148, or any old chrome faced radio with sideband. Uniden actually makes cobra radios, so they're OK too. Galaxy makes decent radios, but you have to get them modified to go on CB band. Maybe if you can find a used one that's allready modded. Another plus is having an actual meter instead of a bargraph. Pretty much new CB radios that you get at the big box stores suck. I haven't seen one with sideband in a long time, all I see are crappy cobra 19s, and other bottom end units. If you get a basic unit, just get a cheapo cobra 19 or something.

4. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +88 / 0
    plenty of quaity used ones out there. some new ones have blutooth so you can use the CB as a hands free. Plenty of shops will up the power way beyond the 3 watt legal limit. I say go to a CB shop, and skip fry's.

some cheap antenas work well, its just a matter of having one that is tuned to the radio. I was getting better performance with my throught the glass stick on Kmart special than some were getting with thier expensive ones.

the plain cheap fiberglass sticks are crap though.

as you are new to this, too many extra bells and whistles will just confuse you.

The handheld ones or the all in the handset types aren't as high quality, but if you are very space limited, they will do.

don't buy the BS that you need the 15' cable (or whatever lenth it is) for proper tuning. the argument they give for that are BS. all it does is sell you more cable than you might need.

5. Stoller

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thanks for all the suggestions. you guys have any links or anything that would help me find a CB shop down in the san diego area. and i got plenty of room its goin in my F150.

6. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Radios are 4 watts legal power
    Through the glass antenas are junk (get a lil wil)
    Get a meter and match your antena, the cable should be in 3' increments, you fine tune it by adjusting the length of the mast, instructions in the antena box.

I have talked across the country on my Uniden PC68LTW and lil WIl, along with a100 watt modulator. If you take the radio to a shop, they can get you almost 30 watts (IIRC) and open up the modulation to 100%.

7. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
  8. Stoller

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  9. kjbob1852

kjbob1852 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a Galaxy DX99 with a helper that I've talked around the world on for sale if anyone is interested.

10. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    This would be a great radio, just to be curious, how much?

11. Gravel

Gravel XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Oh man, when I was a teen I had a Pace Sidetalk 1000B (base station) with a D104 Power mic on a lolly pop stand and a StarDuster on a 60' telescopic pole.

I still have the base station but need to find another D104/Lollypop.

We didn't have cell phones or internet back then, had to keep myself entertained somehow... :lol:

12. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +227 / 8
    I have a D-104 on my Emperor TS-5010, and enough parts laying around to assemble another one. I'll take a look at what I have if you're serious.

13. Bultx1215

Bultx1215 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My CB dude says the Cobra 25's are actually better radio's than the bigger ones. I always have them peaked and tuned. My last 25 put out 27 watts after it was peaked.:cool::cool: I have been running a Cherokee until last month when it croaked. I lasted for 7 years in a bouncy big truck, so I guess that isn't bad. I am running a smaller Galaxy now and am not really liking it so much....but it does work well.

14. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ah yes.. the D-104.. Ie, the "spray with contact cleaner every few days" microphone! :p

There is still an antron-99 on my chimney. We are waiting for it and the 2m/440 antenna to get hit by lightning :cry:

15. Gravel

Gravel XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I don't believe I ever had to spray mine with contact cleaner, though this was 25 yrs ago.... :lol:

Yeah Deer Slayer, I will have to hook up with you on that!