Need advise...XD SC 9mm vs XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by XDPLTSGT, Apr 15, 2012.

1. XDPLTSGT

XDPLTSGT XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any one experienced with both the XD Sub-Compact 9mm and the XDm 3.8 compact 9mm? I want both, but can only get one. My intent is to wear it everyday in a(n) IWB holster. I have a XD .45 service model and love it... so I know I am going with XD for my carry weapon. I have my own pro's and con's for both, but wanted your input for my final decision.

Big ticket is, is the XDm worth the extra $100+?

Any advice appreciated.

2. AmickAndAmick

AmickAndAmick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Clearify please. You plan to carry your current XD or which ever of the 9's you mentioned?

I have a XDm 3.8 compact and REALLY love it but I'm a tall skinny guy (6'4" 170#) and my XDm is on the edge or too fat to carry. I can do and plan to but it you have little extra fat than I it would prob be more comfortable.

For me... the look of the XDm was worth the extra bucks. I'm not expirenced or knowledgable enough to know is the machanic make it worth more money.

3. XDPLTSGT

XDPLTSGT XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I plan to carry either the XDsc or the XDm 3.8 (both 9mm).

I only mentioned the XD45ACP I have to profess my affenity for it... I wish I could conceal that thing, but it's a hand cannon.

I am also a tall thin athletic build... 6'1" @ 184lbs.

I already know I want an XD I can conceal and wear daily which is why I summed it up to these two models. Once I choose the weapon, I will be wearing it with a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Brbn1295

Brbn1295 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a xd sc 9 and absolutely love it so I'm mildly biased. However, my good friend has the compact so I've shot both. The compact has the same feel has a full size...thicker. If you're looking for an all purpose pistol then the xdm would be better. For cc I'd go with the subcompact.

I'd recommend going to your local gun store and seeing which one feels better in your hand. And if you can rent and shoot both.

Let us know which route you go.

5. firechicken25

firechicken25 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have shot both. Well the full size xdm 3.8 9mm and xdsc 9mm. I felt like the xdsc had more snap(recoil) then xdm cause of the 3" barrel. I went and picked up the xdm 3.8c 9mm and love it. The xdsc also had the finger extension and now mine does too. I love the looks alot better and it holds more in the same package so that alone says alot
    [​IMG]

6. pitandxd

pitandxd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've shot both of them a lot (probably 500 rounds each:D) and will be owning both of them too (the one is paid for and the other will be too ;)). The XD sub-compact will be black and the XDm 3.8 will be duo-tone. I think it's worth the extra $100 and I will carry both of them as an EDC. I love the extra mag capacity of the XDm and it feels nice in my hand, actually probably the best of the 2. But the XD sub-compact is the best petite EDC. If the extra capacity isn't a big issue and the size of the sub-compact fits your hand good, the extra $$ can go to a nice holster and an extra mag or you can squeeze out a holster and belt too. Because you always need the accessories...LOL

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either...Worse comes to worse, get both down the road...

7. Smokehouse

Smokehouse XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I faced the same decision. I personally own a 4.5 XDm and shot my friends 3.8 XDm compact at length...I went looking for a 3.8 compact for myself but I landed up "one-for-one" comparing the XD sub compact to the XDm compact.

I landed up going home with the XDsc.

Funny enough, that was a decision I really didnt think I'd make but I really found the smaller size and the smaller -$100 price tag to be worth it (for carry BTW).

I took it out that weekend and pumped 250 flawless rounds through it and I love the thing! It is extremely accurate and very easy to control given the short barrel...I can't complain one bit.

On a side note, I landed up putting Talon grips on them both (rubber) and although they're ugly as sin...they really work:

[​IMG]

8. txpaladin

txpaladin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I prefer the XDsc because I can get a better grip on it compared to the XDM without any pinky extensions. Also, I just don't like the feel of the XDM grip texture.

9. ssracer

ssracer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no experience with the XD, but I carry the 3.8 XDM 9mm compact daily. I came from a G27 which had less barrel and a little less grip in .40 and was MUCH snappier. I don't like to use pinky extensions because it adds just that much more to the grip which is the tricky part to conceal when carrying IWB.

I carry in a crossbreed supertuck. I'm 6'1", 225, so I've got a little more on me than some of you scrawny people :) but I have no problem concealing it under anything short of a tight tshirt....which I try to avoid anyway....lol

10. pitandxd

pitandxd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ROFL...Tight shirts are for sure a printing violation and just not pretty unless you are a female and even then **** I better stop while I'm ahead...Needless to say, Good point!! LOL

11. Mist

Mist XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I carry my XDm 3.8 in .40 cal in a crossbreed everyday ! I also love it and it is much snappier than the 9 but it is a common caliber in my collection! I thought the compact was too small !

12. XDPLTSGT

XDPLTSGT XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to make my decision quickly, and it seems as though most of you agree. Looks like I am going with the XDsc 9mm in OD Green. Not only is it cheaper (by A LOT) but it being similar to my Service Model makes transitioning seamless. For the price of the XDm, I can get the XDsc and the Crossbreed Holster, with cash left over!

I really like the new XDs, wouldn't mind owning that monster too.

13. Ramman

Ramman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased the 9mm xdm compact about 2months ago and have shot about a hundred rounds through it. I am relatively new to hand guns (about 3 years now) but have had several guns during this period. I love the xdm 9 compact and have been carrying it. I had bought a junk gun (Bersa) and could not hit anything with it--so sent it back to the warranty gun smith shop and they could not hit anything either, even with two different new slides. So a miralce happened--I talked "Academy" into refunding my money (well-store credit) so this week I purchased the 9mm xdsc for my carry gun since it is just a little smaller than the xdm compact. I shot about 90 rounds yesterday and it shot fine--a little more snap than the xdm 9 compact, but not bad. I do need to find a magazine with the "pinky" extension for the 13 round magazine. (is there an extension that will just fit on my current 13 magazine?) I had no misfires, ftf or any other problem until I came home. I loaded both magazines for carry and then noticed I couldn't release the 13 round magazine without clearing the magazine and then found out I only had to clear two or three rounds to get it to release. I then went looking on the Internet and see that I don't have a problem--apparently the xdsc does since so many others have mentioned the same problem I checked my xdm 9 compact and it has the same problem when fully loaded to capacity, but not nearly as severe as I can release it with some difficulty, but not nearly as much difficulty as releasing the xd9sc when filled to capacity.
    I am going to start carrying the xd9sc as when I tested it yesterday, I had the magazines filled to capacity and it didn't keep it from clearing where it counts--out the barrel! I love both guns and am sold on the XDs. I also have a 40 xd service revolver that I purchased used and it is also a fine gun

14. katokahn99

katokahn99 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Why go through all of that? Just lock the slide back and hit the magazine release. It should fall free. The issue is that a fully loaded (or nearly full) magazine presses hard against the magazine lock when the slide is forward. Relieve that presure by releasing the magazine while the slide is locked back. ;)
    You mentioned that your guns have very few rounds through them. The more you shoot, the more the magazines will break in. After a while, it will get easier to drop a full magazine with the slide forward.
    Anyway, for unloading: Best practice is to lock the slide back, retain the ejected round, and then drop the magazine and verify the empty chamber.
    Good luck and stay safe!

Welcome to the forum!

15. ZONES

ZONES XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was going for the xdsc 9 till I got the deal on the XDM 9c, either is fine, but I lean towards the extras you do get with the m series, it is the newer animal.