Need a recipe

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by thejoe, Feb 19, 2012.

1. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For some .45 ACP reloads. I just started reloading and am very excited to say that I am ready to put powder and bullets into my first batch of cases. However, I bought Hodgdon Titegroup powder and haven't been able to find a recipe for my 230 gr JHP bullets with it.

From other Hodgdon pistol powders I am thinking that I will do 1/2 batch at 4.6 gr of powder and 1/2 at 5.0 gr of powder and see how it goes.

Anyone have a good recipe with these elements?

Thanks for the help!

joe

2. rtparso

rtparso XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
  3. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there going to be any difference between my JHPs and the FMJs? I would think not since the bullet weight is the same, but the OAL will be different. I haven't seen a recipe for JHPs at all, not even on the Hodgdon website.

Thanks!

4. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to whomever for moving this! I knew there was a better place than the CatterBox.

So, what OAL do I need to load to with my 230 gr JHPs? I'm thinking 1.222 as that is what most of my TAP rds are loaded to from the factory.

Input?

joe

5. Staticxd00d

Staticxd00d XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your JHP should be very close to the data for the FMJ FP on the Hodgdon site. Lists a starting load of 4.4gr Titegroup, and a max load of 4.8gr. OAL is 1.2", which is right at your guess of 1.222 from your TAP rounds.

I would start at 4.4gr and work up. Load a few rounds at 4.4, then 4.6, then 4.8.

6. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Sounds like you need to get a couple of good manuals and follow the bullet/powder recommendations in them.

7. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I'd just like to add that you really need to be careful about double charges, when using powders that fast. I use almost twice that much powder with my 230gr. reloads, but I'm using AA#5. You can double-charge with #5, but it almost fills the case with a double charge.

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    ^^THIS^^Seriously, another noob reloader dupped into buying TG. IMO, STOP! Put the TG on the shelf, go buy some W231 or Unique & start there. Working loads of TG in the bottom of a 45acp case are barely visible, a dbl charge is diff to spot for a noob & ver possible. Add to that the add'l. bbl heat, steep pressure curve, just not a good beginners powder.
    That fact you are asking for data instead of doing a proper load work up is telling me you need to do some more reading. Get 2 good manual, not the Lee. Cross ref w/ the Hodgdon site & then use average starting data & work up IN SMALL batches in 0.1gr increments. Your thought of 0.4gr increment is frightening w/ a powder like TG, Clays, Bee, etc. Pressures are NOT linear. As a faster powder gets to the peak, it can go vertical or spike. That is KB territory my friend. More guns have been blown up by relaoders using uberfast pwoders & making a small mistake. There is no such thing as beign "a little over" when it comse to powders faster than Unique.
    BTW, you cannot measure a facotry round & then just plug that OAL in UNLESS it is the same bullet. Bullets are NOT plug & play & neither is OAL. A RNFMJ is not a FPFMJ is not a JHP is not a plated is not a lead bulet. OAL really matters the faster the powder burn rate. SO load the longest OAL that works in YOUR gun. What works in my 1911 doesn't in my XD so you must adjust both OAL & powder charge, if loading shorter, w/ the data you do find in the manuals. USe your removed bbl as a guide, make a dummy round @ the book OAL & see if it fits. If it drops in flush w/ the bbl hood, good to go, if not seat deeper & reduce your charge a bit to compensate if you are running the top end of the data. How much depends ont he powder used, there is no rule of thumb, but know that pressures start up dramatically when seating 0.060" deeper than the OAL indicated.

9. JCT

JCT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy cow, Fred, that's one of the best discussions about OAL I've seen. I hope you collect comments like these as they are *really* helpful.

I have found the concept of OAL very opaque, even with reading through several manuals.

Something that I picked up along the way that I think is useful for newbies (like myself) is to look for a powder with a high load *density* with lower pressures for a given velocity.

Plenty of time to go jacking things up....

10. mongoose33

mongoose33 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I can tell how much I have learned about reloading when I can predict, accurately, what Fred and Mercmar are going to say. :)

I remember when I started that a primary concern was buying a good cheap powder so I would have the lowest per-round cost.

What a mistake. Not only is the cost difference trivial, you can really set yourself up for a problem with a fast powder if you don't do it right.

Fred said something a few years back that really stuck with me: use a powder that fills most of the case, and you can easily identify a double-charge--and it's easier to see a no-charge.

And I do. WST in the .45, WST or AA#7 in the 9mm.

11. JCT

JCT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I frequent several pistol forums and always read about reloading -- have easily gotten the best advice from those two guys right here.

Actually, I was going to try WST after my first try with W231. Any good sources for starting loads (9mm and .45)?

12. Bruce75

Bruce75 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look at <brianenos.com> & <handloads.com>
    Lots of good info.

13. Samsimaxflyfish

Samsimaxflyfish XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI make sure you seat the Primers! Check everyone you put in, I had a BAD experience, and had to send my XDm 40 5.25 back to Springfield!

14. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    That's why I prime off press, with a Lee hand primer.

15. Samsimaxflyfish

Samsimaxflyfish XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree you get a much better feel.