Springfield XD Forum banner

Need a Little Help....What would Give the Sig 226 Tacops a run for it's money?

5K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  StreetFightingMan 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a Sig 226 Tacops for some time now, and I will probably get one by the end of the year.
Reasons I want to own one: 9mm(I only one one 9mm handgun, and it's actually my wife's XD 9mm) High round capacity @ 20 rounds, full size frame(I will not be using it for EDC and I want a full size gun) The thing is a tank from the research I have done on it.

USE: I want a tank of a 9mm that I can put 1,000s of rounds through without having to baby it. It's going to be a nightstand gun, probably mounted with a light. I would also like it to be my go to gun along with my AR. I will carry in with an outside the waistband holster or leg rig.

This is a major purchase for me, and I will not be selling it, as I do not re-sell my guns once I have made a choice...I just add it to my collection. The price is not an issue, as it will be a reward to myself for reaching my yearly work goals.

Is the 226 Tacops the perfect full size 9mm for what I will be using it for? Are there any other similar guns that I will be frustrated as all hell for not considering? I do not want to give up round capacity, size, durability or caliber.

What are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
M9A3

Wilson Combat Beretta.

I carry a P229 daily. My fav rig out of them all. I wouldn't personally trade it for anything else. The TACOPS is awesome but I'm biased.

#3 · (Edited)
For that money I would definitely get the P226 Legion over it without a second thought and use flush fit 18 round Mecgars. You could use 20 round magazines in the Legion P226 but they would stick out at the bottom but without a gap. You can get Tacops like grips for any P226 as shown in link below, but I would not want to give up the awesome Legion G10 grips.

SIG Sauer P226 DA/SA Magrip Piranha Grip G10 - G-Mascus Green | Hogue Inc.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm going to suggest something else...

CZ SP01 (either conventional or tactical decocker)
CZ P09

One is all metal, the other is polymer framed. Both now come in suppressor ready models. Both have 18+ capacity. Both cost a bit less than the Sig, allowing you then to send it (or just buy one from) Cajun Gun Works, which will leave you with a much more refined pistol than the Sig is for the same amount of money.

#7 ·
Ok lets start simple. Do yu want a da/sa gun? I'll say da/sa first then striker second.
The ONLY 2 national level instructors pushing da/sa guns at the moment tthat I know of for defensive use are Pannone and fisher (many competition guys are too) they both are rocking the CZs cause the da pull sucks less than the sigs/berettas. (though the stuff coming out next year for beretta has some attention) So I'm going to vote no on the sig as you don't have one, its an entire new learning curve that there is no point in your learning. CZ makes way more sense.

If your not married to the hammer, Why not a decked out g17/34? go look at ateiguns.com he's the first guy that did the cocking serrations on a machine and its all amazing I only have 6 of them. 3 glocks and 3 MPs If you like the ergonomics of the MP better a MP done up is amazing too, my lady carries and shoots one of them.

#11 ·
I'm going to give a clue. I can't find any big name combat instructors carrying SIG's outside of agency classes that all use SIG's.

I can find many using CZs

#13 ·
Uh yeah.

I don't know about big name instructors but I've owned half a dozen of each platform and fired thousands of rounds through them and I'll take the Sig any day. My nightstand gun is an MK25, and if it's good enough for the SEALS I think it will work for me or the OP.

Reactions: CDKJudoka
#14 ·
Others have mentioned the CZ SP-01 and the P-09. I will add the Sphinx SDP Standard, They should be available in the next week or so, and will run around the same price, or cheaper than a TacOps. They come with 17 rd Mags, but since they CZ clones, they take the larger CZ mags. I have the SDP Compact and it has the best, by far, out of the box, trigger. The DA blows the Sig DA away, and the reset is short and crisp. Better than an SRT trigger. Only real problem with them? No night sight options, AT ALL!!

#21 ·
...and this is why I'm a member of this forum. Thank you very much for listing great options that I didn't even know about, like the CZ. Reading a review on the web is one thing, but hearing from people who actually shoot the guns, and use them daily is a better source in my opinion.

#22 ·
You can't go wrong with the P226, I'd rather have my SP01 Shadow, even prefer it to my Sphinx SDP. But honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

#24 ·
Corsa80.

Be sure to check out prices of magazines, availability of holsters, and warranty before you buy. SIG has lifetime warranty. I was a bit disappointed to find out my CZ has only a 5 year warranty. I keep my firearms forever also so I appreciate a lifetime warranty.

I have P226s and a CZ SP01 Shadow. I dearly love my CZ Shadow but if I could only keep one it would be a P226. For me the P226 is a better all around pistol and much easier to carry due to the smaller size and lighter weight if one wants to carry a full size pistol.

It's always fun trying to decide what new pistol to get. Good luck!

#29 ·
What I'm confused about is babying a gun through 1000 rounds? Any of the big name handguns today can shoot 1000 rounds without a hitch, should be able to at least. A Sig, Beretta, CZ, Glock, HK, etc, etc. If you said 100,000 rounds, then you might have a particular point. I have a Sig 226 TacOps, Navy, Legion SAO (when I return), CZ's, Glocks, M&P's, etc, etc, all will do what you describe needing done. It's nice to have 20 round mags of course but many manufacturer's make mags that hold more than the stock stuff.

Reactions: Cyanide
#32 ·
I've been thinking about getting a Sig 226 Tacops for some time now, and I will probably get one by the end of the year.
Reasons I want to own one: 9mm(I only one one 9mm handgun, and it's actually my wife's XD 9mm) High round capacity @ 20 rounds, full size frame(I will not be using it for EDC and I want a full size gun) The thing is a tank from the research I have done on it.

USE: I want a tank of a 9mm that I can put 1,000s of rounds through without having to baby it. It's going to be a nightstand gun, probably mounted with a light. I would also like it to be my go to gun along with my AR. I will carry in with an outside the waistband holster or leg rig.

This is a major purchase for me, and I will not be selling it, as I do not re-sell my guns once I have made a choice...I just add it to my collection. The price is not an issue, as it will be a reward to myself for reaching my yearly work goals.

Is the 226 Tacops the perfect full size 9mm for what I will be using it for? Are there any other similar guns that I will be frustrated as all hell for not considering? I do not want to give up round capacity, size, durability or caliber.

What are your thoughts?
You've been given some great options...

If I went back to a bottom feeder for nightstand use, it'd be either my Sig Mk25 with 20rd mags or a USP 9mm...

But I'd also seriously consider a Sig P320 9mm if I didn't want a hammer-fired pistol. As much as I like my VP9, I think the 320 is just a bit better.

#33 ·
I never shot either since I can't rent them but my feelings towards the VP9 have always been "meh". IMO the P320 trigger feels a lot better. The reset on the VP9s I've handled were short but felt kind of weak. The P320 seems just as short but more positive and sharp.

#38 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I looked at a lot of the guns you guys mentioned and I made my choice. I picked up the Sig P226 Tacops yesterday. I will be taking it to the range this Sunday. The CZ was close, but at the end of the day, the Sig was just a better fit for me. It's been a long time since I spent $1,100 on a handgun (last one was H&K Mark23 over 10 years ago), so I'll just be living vicariously through you guys as you buy new guns for a while:)

#39 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I looked at a lot of the guns you guys mentioned and I made my choice. I picked up the Sig P226 Tacops yesterday. I will be taking it to the range this Sunday. The CZ was close, but at the end of the day, the Sig was just a better fit for me. It's been a long time since I spent $1,100 on a handgun (last one was H&K Mark23 over 10 years ago), so I'll just be living vicariously through you guys as you buy new guns for a while:)
Congrats on the new Sig. Do you still have the Mark 23? They go for just a tad over $1,100 now ;-)

#40 ·
I do not have the H&K anymore. about 7 years ago, one of my friends got in a bad financial jam and I sold off 4 of my guns to help him out...the H&K was one of the ones I sold. The good news is that I shot the thing 1000s of times and still sold it for more than I bought it for. The bad news is that my "friend" ended up being "that guy" that always needed help, so I finally had to end that friendship. Lesson learned I guess.

#42 ·
@StreetFightingMan the Mark 23 was my nightstand gun, and the gun I shot the most during that phase of my life. It's a funny gun, because it just begs to be shot. I remember taking it out to the woods one weekend with 6 boxes of 45 ammo thinking that would be enough. A few hours later, I drove 40 miles round trip to buy more ammo so I could shoot it some more. I bet you have more experience with firearms than I do, but if you get a chance to shoot the 23 please do so. It's a little bigger than the USP Tactical I think, but if you like full size guns, the Mark 23 will become one of your favorite guns of all time. I'm sure I will get another one at some point:)

#43 ·
Sounds like you loved it and I'm sure it was hard to give it up. I can't wait to see how the USP Tac. 45 is suppressed. I hear the Mark 23 and USP Tac. 45 are completely different animals with a can on the end and unlike any other pistol while suppressed. I would love to have a Mk 23 but it'll be something trying to convince the wife I need to spend almost $2k on one.

#44 ·
An older client of mine in his 70s taught me a great trick. He said "go work harder, earn a little extra money, and offer get you and the little lady something with the extra money you earned...that way it's easier for them to accept it." My wife and I have been saving for a trip to Europe, so I told her that whatever the Sig costs, I would add that much extra towards our trip above my monthly contribution...worked like a charm. I love old guys, they know all sorts of cool stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.