Need a .22 to compliment my XDM9C and/or Ruger SR9C

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by ncsu08ms3, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ncsu08ms3

ncsu08ms3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I've been going to the range with my dad every Thursday for the last 2 1/2 months, which is quite enjoyable but being married, the wife has me on a strict budget of for these weekly outings which is usually a box of 50rd 9mm per trip. I love shooting my XDM9C and love the fact that I can get out to the range every week, even if it's only 50 rds per trip but lately it feels like that 50 rds just isn't enough (kind of like having a drug addiction, at first just a little fills the need, as you keep using though you need more and more to fill the need. Our Range owner calls it Brass Cocaine) needless to say my budget won't allow for too many more pulls of the trigger shooting 9mm but .22 is MUCH cheaper and might help fill that need for more range time.

Since they don't make a .22 conversion for either my XDM9C or my dad's SR9C I'm looking for a good .22 (one that will shoot the cheap stuff preferably even though the expensive .22 would still reduce cost some I guess) that would compliment these guns (1 or both) looking for something with a Similar grip and / or trigger. The Ruger 22/45 looks like it may have a similar grip to the SR9C but can anyone verify that? I've got no clue as to what may be similar to the XDM9C (if anything) I think Springfield needs to put out a conversion kit or at least make a .22 of their own then it might be somewhat similar.

Phillip

2. rtparso

rtparso XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well I guess I get to go first. Most will agree there are 2 makers that are at the top of the list Ruger Mark III or 22/45 and Browning Buckmark. I personally like the Ruger best. If you are looking for the best accuracy it is hard to beat the Ruger Competition Target. If you want a pistol that has a similar grip (angle) to the XD get the 22/45. The downside of the Ruger is it is harder to learn how to field strip for cleaning. Once you get used to the proper combination of move it field strips PDQ. I have only shot the Buckmark a few times and all I can say it was a comfortable shooter and had acceptable accuracy (I only shot offhand).

3. pcorliss

pcorliss XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in the same boat - except I'm shooting an XD-40 - so the ammo is even a bit more expensive. I had spent some time digging around on this site, and other rimfire forums - it does seem to boil down to Ruger or Browning for most. I ordered a Ruger 22/45 Hunter model yesterday - 4.5 barrel and grip angle feel similar enough to my XD service to be valuable practice. My intent is to shoot more regularly - probably 250-500 rounds of .22 and 25-50 rounds of .40 each time. I can't tell you how it works out yet, but I am very excited to be able to plan on shooting 10 times as much each trip to the range. If you're still weighing your options in two weeks after I clear CA's waiting period - I'll let you know how the story ends.

4. ncsu08ms3

ncsu08ms3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies guys! I went and held the Ruger 22/45 today as well as a Walther P22, the P22 felt pretty terrible. the Ruger 22/45 felt very similar to my dad's SR9C, still on the look out for a browning & SW 22A to fondle.

Phillip

5. XDRoX

XDRoX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I find the P22 to be the most enjoyable. Its one of the funnest guns I have. Makes me feel like a secret agent.

Ya the Rugers and Brownings are better built and more accurate, but hey, a 22 is about fun. And a P22 is a ton of fun. Mine eats anything and is 100% reliable. In fact I just loaded it into my truck because I'm going shooting tomorrow morning.

6. proxpilot

proxpilot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    GSG 1911 .22lr

7. f150baja

f150baja XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on the gsg. but mags are rediculously expensive!

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say GSG or Ruger Mark what ever. I personally don't care for teh 22/45. Feels odd in my hand. My mark 2 is awesome!!! I love the little bugger.

9. Lopper

Lopper XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have owned Ruger, Colt. S&W even a High Standard Victor.and others. I can not say enough about the Sig Mosquito Sport I have
    It is a tight well made weapon I use Fed 525 bulk High speed ammo in it and its just keeps going. It was very tight and I had a couple FTFs at first then ran 500 CCI in it to get started

10. doppelganger

doppelganger XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ruger Mark - pure fun, get lots of mags. Pulls up like my XD for me. Filed strip is a breeze once you learn the secret handshake ;)

11. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm trying to help a friend of the family sell a Colt Cadet like the one pictured below. I'd put it up against the Ruger, Browning or any of the others any day.

[​IMG]

The gun is in like-new condition. The owner is an elderly lady who bought the gun several years ago on the recommendation of a relative. She may have run two magazines of ammo through it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it and I'll help coordinate the deal.

12. Hammer of Dawn

Hammer of Dawn XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to give my vote to the Walther P22 as well....it really is a fun little gun to shoot and I have yet to experience a FTF or any related incident and I have put a lot of the cheapo Wal-mart bulk ammo in it. I am in the same boat with trying to keep prices down for my range trips with my XD .45...it sure can get expensive.