Need .40 Rainer 165 grn. HP bullet data???

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Master Chief, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Master Chief

Master Chief XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just acquired a box of .40 Rainer 165 grn. HP bullets, but it is very hard to find load data for this bullet. I have Winchester brass, primers, and both Winchester 231, and WSF powders on hand. Is there anywhere to find starting min. and max. load data for these powders, or do I need to change powders?

Thanks,
    Master Chief

One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything.

2. pinhole

pinhole XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MC,
    I am no expert, but I have loaded that bullet with whose primers and 231. Now that masterblaster is out of business I was thinking of going back to them. Let me look through my stuff and see what I have for reload data. I'll get back later.
    pete

3. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MC-
    you're right-very little info. you could change powders; i use power pistol. i'm looking for info for your situation.
    for a sierra jhp 165 gr: 4.8-5.3. this is from hornady's '07 reloading annual manual(for the lawyers). i rarely max charges. w/that in mind i used to load plated bullets using info such as above; i didn't load them using lead specs. sometimes i still don't. but i usually go to three sources to cross reference.
    what i've just given you would probably get me roasted on arfcom and might here but i'm just trying to pass on solid info & my experience.
    you don't say where you're located. you can email me if you don't want to broadcast that info.
    i'm basically in houston and have access to many reloading sources: Carter, 10ring, gander. you could google them from wherever you are and call them direct as well!
    good luck

4. philbo

philbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From Rainier:We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

Hodgdons shows 5.3 grains of 231 as a max charge for a 165 JHP, so 4.7/4.8 would be a good place to start. (It's also their recommended start load for that bullet by the way)

Hodgdons also shows load data for a 170 grn lead bullet using WSF, start load 5.2 grains and max at 6.2. Probably a good place to start.

5. pinhole

pinhole XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I looked around and I found was my Speer 13 manual lists only 2 loads for 165 gr with 231. These are for 40/tmj and GD-hp. They list one @6.3 max load and one @5.8 for approximate to LEO version. So if Rainier wants you to use lead data,or drop 10%, that would put the 5.8 load above the max.
    (5.67)

Winchester page I have shows:
    155 jhp max @6.0 231
    170 jhp max @5.3 231
    170 lead max @5.2 231
    nothing for 165 gr.

Lyman lists max load of 231 with a 165gr tmj @ 5.8gr

pete

6. Master Chief

Master Chief XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all of the info guys, it's a great help. I think that I'll be able to run with this for a while but if you happen to come across any other info, or advice that would be great.

Master Chief:cool:

One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything.:mrgreen:

7. Jcobb

Jcobb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. SteveW1958

SteveW1958 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've had good results with 5.0 to 5.2 gn of WIN 231 with those bullets.