Springfield XD Forum banner

N-PAP or WASR-10 for 1st AK?

44K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  axel2078 
#1 ·
I'm considering both the Zastava N-PAP and the WASR-10 as my first AK after I get my M1 Garand and Gen4 G19. This gun will be a range/fun gun, with possible SHTF uses if needed (like my AR). I shot a friend's WASR several years ago and it did well, and I from my research the quality and fit of the WASRs have improved recently. I have also read quite a bit of good things about the N-PAP too, but am less familiar with it. I see them for about the same price on GB, with the difference I can gather being that the WASR has a chrome lined barrel.

So for those who have experience with both:

1) How does the quality of the N-PAP stack up vs. the WASR? I ask this because I have no real first hand experience with the Zastava.

2) is the chrome lined barrel on the WASR a big advantage, and is the lack of it a big problem on the N-PAP? I mostly plan to shoot Wolf and Tula through it.

3) Do both of these have Warsaw Pact length stocks? I'm about 5'7 and 160 lbs and wonder how guys of my size like the standard stock lengths on these guns. I can swap it to something else, but it'd be nice to leave it stock if possible.

4) Given that both are the same price, which would you go with?

Thanks!

See less See more
#30 ·
opaps are not milled, they are based on RPK receivers and trunnions. Which are stamped receivers. See the rivets that hold the trunnions in place?? Milled receivers don't use trunnions nor rivets. Rivets on milled guns hold the trigger guard/mag latch in place and a bullet guide. WaSRs have a thin profile barrel that heats up faster then any other AK. They will string shots like a mini 14 will. dollar for dollar, Zastava weapons are higher quality then Cugir weapons. Zastava doesn't make a standardized AK, Cugir does. Accuracy is a bogus word. Any Cugir with a competent shooter can hit a man sized target to 300m without much fuss. And they can use any standard AK part out there for repair or modification.......WaSRs are overpriced, but the market keeps supporting it. Better options for the same money, like the PAP series, Radom, and Pioneer Arms. Pioneer Arms is a touch on the sketchy side because they have partnered up with IO/Royal Tiger. IO makes JUNK, don't care what anyone's experience is nor videos about the company. Their track record with defective and down right dangerous builds is second to only to Ewbanks/JoeKen, Hesse/Blackthorne, some B West, and maybe Wiselite/Elite of MGS fame. i remember when their first run of STG rifles came out that were remodeled WaSRs with their furniture. Nice looking weapon, about a 35% failure rate. Then you get the hell pup, FAIL. The Hell Hound, FAIL. This new one they have, FAIL. Fit finnish and function leave a lot to be desired. They are boutique weapons. Having an issue with them and one of their PP series 9mm SMG pistols that went KABOOM right now. Quick to send an RMA, not to give a reason nor resolution. I ended up getting a hold of Pioneer Arms in Poland myself for info.

#31 ·
opaps are not milled, they are based on RPK receivers and trunnions. Which are stamped receivers. See the rivets that hold the trunnions in place?? Milled receivers don't use trunnions nor rivets. Rivets on milled guns hold the trigger guard/mag latch in place and a bullet guide. WaSRs have a thin profile barrel that heats up faster then any other AK. They will string shots like a mini 14 will. dollar for dollar, Zastava weapons are higher quality then Cugir weapons. Zastava doesn't make a standardized AK, Cugir does. Accuracy is a bogus word. Any Cugir with a competent shooter can hit a man sized target to 300m without much fuss. And they can use any standard AK part out there for repair or modification.......WaSRs are overpriced, but the market keeps supporting it. Better options for the same money, like the PAP series, Radom, and Pioneer Arms. Pioneer Arms is a touch on the sketchy side because they have partnered up with IO/Royal Tiger. IO makes JUNK, don't care what anyone's experience is nor videos about the company. Their track record with defective and down right dangerous builds is second to only to Ewbanks/JoeKen, Hesse/Blackthorne, some B West, and maybe Wiselite/Elite of MGS fame. i remember when their first run of STG rifles came out that were remodeled WaSRs with their furniture. Nice looking weapon, about a 35% failure rate. Then you get the hell pup, FAIL. The Hell Hound, FAIL. This new one they have, FAIL. Fit finnish and function leave a lot to be desired. They are boutique weapons. Having an issue with them and one of their PP series 9mm SMG pistols that went KABOOM right now. Quick to send an RMA, not to give a reason nor resolution. I ended up getting a hold of Pioneer Arms in Poland myself for info.
Correct... not milled, stamped with a heavier 1.5mm receiver. My bad on the typo. I agree on the ability of the WASR to hit man sized targets at typical max distances but I am speaking hunting accuracy. I shot the WASR at 200 yards and got 6 inch groups. My O-PAP has gotten 2 inch groups. Now, I am not a great shooter but if I cannot get better than 6 inch groups with one weapon and get 2 inch groups with another similar weapon, I would say, as I think you are, that the Zastava is better.

#32 ·
I'd like to see 2" groups from a stock Zastava on open sights. That is a 1 moa shooting. That is 5,45 territory and I have yet to see very many standard AKMs shoot that tight without an optic and matched ammo. No AK shoots the same with exact same ammo. I have gotten as tight as 3" with a WUM, same as a WaSR. You have to figure out what it likes.

#33 ·
Update: I ended up getting the WASR at the gun show on Friday! I inspected it carefully and found that the quality is much better than they used to be. No canted sights, perfect magwell fit and overall good fit and finish. Also got it for a good price of $556 with tax. It came with one steel mag and one TAPCO polymer one. I then separately bought 2 extra com bloc steel mags and two PMAGs and all seem to fit just fine.

Took it to the range and was happy with the performance. Shot 100% reliably and grouped Tula FMJ very well. Just need to finish correcting windage to get it to POI (ran out of range time). I was also very impressed with the TAPCO G2 trigger that came in the gun, it was very light and crisp! It actually startled me when I fired the first round! Very nice trigger, much better than I was expecting!

And of course here's the obligatory pic:

Overall I'm super happy with the gun and with the price! Thanks again for all those that provides info in this thread!

#34 ·
excellent...locally procured and inspected is the way to go!

I have used Tapco G2s in all the conversions I have done...little Dremel-fu and they really are nice and smooth...

#36 ·
I would likto see it without an optic myself! This was with Konus (yea I know, but the quality is better than you might think) scopes on both rifles and dogleg rails. I agree ammo could be a concern, although I did not have matched ammo, but to have that much of a difference means either the Zastava is darn good or the WASR is not up to par.
Both reasons come into play. I have a 74 kit I built that will only group with silver bear. It hates 7n6 and Tul Ammo.

#37 ·
I have a thread that was going that was asking for thoughts on a first AK on a budget. I was leaning toward the NPAP but I think I might go with the WASR 10. The new production WASRs seem to have all the quality of a PAP but with better options for furniture and a scope rail that is less picky about the mount you use.

#38 ·
I want a wasr now.

#40 ·
I have a thread that was going that was asking for thoughts on a first AK on a budget. I was leaning toward the NPAP but I think I might go with the WASR 10. The new production WASRs seem to have all the quality of a PAP but with better options for furniture and a scope rail that is less picky about the mount you use.

I found a few furniture options for one of my opaps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.