Springfield XD Forum banner

N-PAP or WASR-10 for 1st AK?

44K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  axel2078 
#1 ·
I'm considering both the Zastava N-PAP and the WASR-10 as my first AK after I get my M1 Garand and Gen4 G19. This gun will be a range/fun gun, with possible SHTF uses if needed (like my AR). I shot a friend's WASR several years ago and it did well, and I from my research the quality and fit of the WASRs have improved recently. I have also read quite a bit of good things about the N-PAP too, but am less familiar with it. I see them for about the same price on GB, with the difference I can gather being that the WASR has a chrome lined barrel.

So for those who have experience with both:

1) How does the quality of the N-PAP stack up vs. the WASR? I ask this because I have no real first hand experience with the Zastava.

2) is the chrome lined barrel on the WASR a big advantage, and is the lack of it a big problem on the N-PAP? I mostly plan to shoot Wolf and Tula through it.

3) Do both of these have Warsaw Pact length stocks? I'm about 5'7 and 160 lbs and wonder how guys of my size like the standard stock lengths on these guns. I can swap it to something else, but it'd be nice to leave it stock if possible.

4) Given that both are the same price, which would you go with?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The Zastava is a milled AK and it is quite a bit heavier, and the giant wood stock they use adds to that. Being milled also means it can't accept standard AK stocks and handguards. With the popularity of the Paps I'm sure more furniture options will be coming. My buddy just got a Zastava and personally I don't like it, haven't shot it yet but it feels too bulky in my hands. The raised cheekpiece on it also wreaks havoc on a cheek weld for the irons. I have to say I would probably lean toward a wasr and I know I'll get flamed for it, luckily I have a Saiga and don't have to worry about it. A chrome lined barrel is nice if you aren't OCD about cleaning.

Not 100% sure on this but furniture for regular milled AK's may not work on PAPs either.

#10 · (Edited)
First of all, The PAPs are stamped receivers, not milled. There are no rivets on the side of milled receivers since they don't have trunnions to hold the barrel or butt stock. Some PAPs use the M70 design with the RPK front trunnion. Those are the ones with the bulges on each side. They were modified for use with rifle grenades. Rifle grenades put a lot of stress on the receiver/trunnion connection. The bulge gives more space between the rivets which reduce the chance of cracking/stretching the at the rivet holes. It also uses the receiver as a step to help resist the reward movement trunnion. this is also why they use a thicker sheet metal receiver. Chinese AKs and RPKs use the same flat trunnion with thick receivers as well. Just differences in designs.

Yugo AKs use proprietary furniture, not standard AK furniture. You have almost as many options as a standard AKM pattern. The PAP is a better weapon vs the WaSR as far as QC and design. Nothing wrong with a WaSR as far as a weapon, but it does have it's own quirks. Buy either with confidence.

The mag dimple means nothing. WaSRs have support internally.

#3 ·
Id go with the n pap, considering it can take standard double stack ak mags. The wasr 10 takes bastardized single stack 10 round mags. Unless it is the newer wasr 10 that can take the 30round mags. Either way id go n pap.

#6 ·
N pap has mag dimple (big deal to some), Id prefer the milled receiver. Also looks to have a bolt hold open. Not a deal breaker but an nice option imho.
Only down fall I see is the possibility for canted sights, but you run that risk with both makes.
You can probably find a sar-1 for around the same price. I have one, never had a single problem with it.

#7 ·
My first Saiga didn't have dimples, and obviously none are milled. My Saigas also have a BHO that's not just a cut in the selector. But back to the WASR, it's lighter and does the same thing. I'm not saying one will run any better than the other but the PAP is just too much of a tank. I have a Century M74 and the only problem was a canted sight, which happens with all builders, and that was fixed with a few smacks from a rubber hammer. I honestly used to tell anyone that wanted an AK to go for a PAP, and if that's what they want then go for it. Personally I'm glad I didn't.

#9 ·
#13 ·
I looked at 3 ak's today. Eventually I'll get one, but don't want to rush in. First was a Wasr 10, then a M&M M10, and a M70 underfolder. Im kinda set on that M70 underfolder, it was nice. The other two im going to pass on, ive looked at those before.

#14 ·
I wanted the underfolder also but many reviews pointed out the non existent cheek weld. I then re-tried one out and agreed. Just not easy/comfortable to shoot (my opinion). No recoil but bad to absorb shock.. In the end I wanted something shootable so I went fixed stock.

Also the underfolder had a great deal more sharp edges to deal with (another reason to wear gloves while shooting an ak)

I did not need the compact size so the only benefit was that 2nd kind of cool look. Loss of shoot-ability but gain a cool look... Meegh not enough for me.

#20 ·
I compared the two and IMO, the NPAP takes it for quality. I picked up a brand new NPAP for $475 plus shipping on Gunbroker.com. I have an American made C39, a Romanian RPK and an Arsenal AK as well and I would say the NPAP is as good as it gets for the price.

#24 ·
Can't go wrong with either one right now.

However, the WASR is a more standard AKM compared to the NPAP. The Yugo models have proprietary furniture and some parts won't interchange.

I own several Yugo firearms and haven't had an issue yet. Rugged, reliable, and accurate.

As for your chrome lined question. It doesn't matter.

#27 ·
So I just found out I'll be getting a very BIG xmas bonus at work this year, and I'll be spending some at a gun show on New Year's weekend. Think based on all I've read here I'm going to get the WASR due to the ease of part swapping (which I will do some of) and the chrome lined barrel. I like how easy those clean.

Thanks to those who provided good info and thougths in this thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.