My S&W M&P .45c review.

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Deer Slayer, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 1
    Fired one today, I'm not impressed.

The bad:

First off, the mag only holds 8rds, BOOO! The last round is a real PITA to shove in there, and my XDs mag loader doesn't work with the M&P mags. I thought I was overloading the mag at first. I usually don't have a hard time loading mags by hand, but that mag spring is something else!

The grip is fat, even with my larger than average hands, it's not comfortable.

Recoil feels sharper than the XD. Not a really big deal, but it's noticeable.

Plastic trigger feels cheap, but I really didn't notice that while shooting. That was just an observation while I was fondling it.

The good:

Only fired a couple mags through it, but no hiccups.

All the controls are easy to hit, and are in the right places.

Shoots Ok, I can hit the orange on a man silhouette from 10 yds easily.

Has a thumb safety, which can be viewed either as a positive, or a negative. It's in a good location, and without a grip safety, I want it there.

I like the slide serrations, they look cool, and provide a positive grip.

I like the overall looks of the M&P, but don't tell my XD, she might get an attitude.

So, that's what I think about the M&P 45c. It's not a bad gun, but I still prefer my XD. Don't tell anybody, but I think my buddy wishes he bought the XD instead. He'd never admit to that though. :p

2. mdbullet

mdbullet XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a M&P in .40 cal when they first came out years ago. It was the full size so I can not comment on the compact. The one I had was a great shooter. I am sure you will learn to love yours as well. As far as the 8th round goes it should get easier. Dave

3. Bigpoppie

Bigpoppie XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I EDC my M&P40 with a Crimson Trace Laser Grip and it is very accurate and easy to make rapid follow up shots on target. I purchased a XDM45 4.5 Black on black and I like it alot and it is also easy to make fast follow up shots. The more I shoot my XDM45 the more I like it.:)

4. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    I shot the full sized M&P45 and the worst part was the awful trigger. For a 10 shot full size polymer 45, it felt great and it shot well...but I just could not get past the trigger. Worse than any Glock trigger I have ever had.

Have you ever considered a Glock 30 or 36? I have borrowed a buddy's G36 many times and still don't know why I don't own one. I was shocked at how controllable it was and easy to shoot for a smaller 45.

7-8 rounds is plenty in a defensive gun. Most gun fights are over in 2-3 rounds and its a 45. Many people feel totally protected with a 7-8 shot 1911...a 7-8 shot G30 or G36 should be a decent carry 45.

I still want a G36 and someday I will buy one.

- brickboy240

5. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think the M&P45c will be my next handgun purchase. The factory trigger is pretty crappy but the Apex DCAEK or FSS is amazing. It's unusual that you think the recoil seems sharper than the XD, pretty much everyone I know thinks the complete opposite, including me. Both are still great guns regardless.

6. Deer Slayer

Ratings:
    +41 / 1
    It was me, my buddy, his son + girlfriend. His son is a little younger than I am, but we were all comparing our .45s. The M&P he gave to his son, they both have their permits, so they trade guns all the time. Anyways, we had the M&P, my XD, and a Para warthog, which is my buddy's carry piece. The Para, I had shot a long time ago, and is why I got a .45.

Never fired a glock .45, but I remember the grip feeling very square when I checked them out in the store. Maybe the G36 with a single stack mag would feel better. Shot a 9mm glock before though, and shot OK with it, but I'd rather have an XD. Not really shopping for another .45, but if I got another, it would be a full size 1911, not sure if it would be a single, or double stack though.

When I was actually shooting, I didn't notice the trigger that much on the M&P. It was when I dry fired it a couple times, kinda felt like it was flexing!

I hear ya with the mag capacity, but I don't understand how the mag could be basically the same physical size as the XD's, only hold 8 rounds, AND take such a ridiculous amount of force to load the last round!

7. Deer Slayer

Ratings:
    +41 / 1
    I think it may be mostly my grip. I think because I find the grip fat, and I'm not comfortable with it, I feel the recoil more. I dunno, we tried all the backstraps, and this was the one we all liked most.

8. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    I was shocked at how well the G36 shot.

It was TEN TIMES more controllable than Dad's Colt Officers Model.

Fairly accurate, too.

Thinner than the double stacks...the G36 has a lot going for it.

9. Captain Jack

Captain Jack XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    First off, the triggers on the M&P's get a lot smoother over time. I shot two well-used M&P's at my local range (9mm and the other 40S&W), and the triggers were very smooth compared to brand new ones. And the triggers are not cheap. Never have I heard anyone break one. That hinge is surprisingly strong.

The M&P 45c is not a model I am fond of. I jsut don't care for it. It isn't for the 8 round magazine either. I had a Ruger P345 that held 8+1 in .45acp. If you need more than than two mags of that, you're going to need somthing more than a handgun. The grip was not something I liked on it.

The M&P 45 MId-Size, however, is my favorite M&P in .45acp. The barrel is 4" versus the 5" full-size M&P 45 and the grip is standard length. 10+1 rounds is not bad, and you can buy 13 round mags made by S&W for it. But if I need more than 21 rounds, again, I think I would need something more than a handgun at that point.

The M&P 45 mid-size is a very smooth and soft shooter, and puts the "c" version to shame. The grip is a whole lot more comfortable, too. I have a hard time loading the last round for any gun magazine (XDM, M&P, FNP, Ruger) that I owned. I find the Uplula a great asset to remedy that issue very easily.

10. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I've got the full size 45 with safety, I like it, it's roughly equal to my XD-45s.

That trigger flex is actually the trigger bar, pull the slide off and watch the trigger bar bow out as you pull the trigger back.

11. stanghater

stanghater XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i started with a XD .45 service, then my wife got a XD .40 SC. I thought they were the best ever. then shot a m&p 9mmC and fell in love. I have not shot the m&p 45c but i have to disagree with you. I think the M&P is a superior firearm.

my wife got rid of her XD and carries a LCR now

12. Deer Slayer

Ratings:
    +41 / 1
    If I believed every review I read, or saw on youtube, I'd probably own a glock. Take it for what it is, my opinion, nothing more. I was at least willing to try it instead of totally dismissing it, but I prefer my XD.