My First Trip to the Range: XD-9SC! Two Problems.

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by RonH2K, Dec 6, 2008.

1. RonH2K

RonH2K XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a glorious day. After owning my XD-9 Sub-Compact for a couple of painstaking weeks, I finally got to take her to the range. :D I don't have much experience with pistols, so for all intents and purposes I'm really a noob.

GOOD: The Sub-Compact with the standard (non-extended) magazine didn't rock in my hand as much as I thought. And I'm thrilled to say that all of my shots were on the target. Not necessarily in the black, but at least I was on the paper! LOL!

BAD: I did have two problems though. The first was that the slide wouldn't lock back on an empty magazine. The second was that I had 5 casings, out of 50 fired, hang on ejection. They would always hang just a milimeter from apparently clearing the port. Strange.

Or maybe not so strange. Based on some stuff I'm seeing in the forums, I'm guessing both problems are related to my grip interfering with the slide? Am I correct?

I greatly appreciate your input and am so glad there's a place to come with my questions! Thanks!

2. lowdaksport

lowdaksport XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The slide not locking is generally from having your thumb on the slide lock. Ive never had the problem but it seems common. As for the round not ejecting fully. I have only had a couple of those myself in over 1000 rounds. Some say limp wrist could be the problem but I recall a video posted a while back of someone shooting a variety of guns with just a finger and a thumb holding it very loose and the xd did not have any issues. Only the glock 19 or maybe it was a glock 17 did that. So all I can say is maybe limp wrist maybe ammo? What ammo were you shooting?

3. XDConvert9mm

XDConvert9mm XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    I'd have to go with thumb on the slide lock lever and limp wristing the pistol. Keep your thumb in the factory groove and keep a firmer grip and you should be fine.

4. RonH2K

RonH2K XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback! I was shooting Blazer Brass, 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ.

I'm guessing that my grip was bad (alignment) and too soft. I was consciously holding it lightly so as not to "choke" the thing. I may have gone two light a few times.

Thanks, again!

5. D_Fence

D_Fence XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The other XDTalkers are on the money. Your grip would be the cause of both problems. Try this:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/30361-gripping-subcompact-step-step.html

6. Jastley

Jastley XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just finished my 300th Blazer Brass round in my XD9sc and It ran flawlessly. You can't always recreate a stovepipe. The casings fly out with a little randomness so they won't always be in the right position to get clamped.

The slidelock thing is most likely the thumb issue. It only takes ever so much to keep it from locking. However, I've never had it happen so once you get your grip down it shouldn't be a problem.

7. RonH2K

RonH2K XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome feedback. Thank you!

8. raider187

raider187 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RonH2k, Grip the weapon is high up as you can and center it in the webbing between your thumb and index finger. When the weapon is in you hand the slide/barrel should be inline with your forearm, not off to the side. That will get rid of your "limp wrist" issues and will cut down on felt recoil. You will not have to put a death grip on it if holding it properly.

This video will help. YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.