Springfield XD Forum banner

My first M&P, a full sized 45 ACP...

2K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  DevJames 
#1 ·
...never thought much of them, I qualified on them for my contractor job, older 9mm versions with GOD AWFUL triggers. They have no break or reset, never had an idea when the gun go off or reset but again, those are pretty old models and unfortunately, what we carry down range when flying. However, I liked the ergo's but the trigger, even on the new ones, kept me away. Well, the Shield seems to have a nice trigger and the newer models are getting better from what I've read. I've been going on ride along's with my buddy who is a Police Officer for Corpus Christi and of course they carry the M&P 40. So I started liking the idea of having one and decided to get a full sized in 45 ACP. Read good things and my LGS had one but the trigger would not do, so I put in an Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement kit. Now has a nice, smooth pull and clean break. Still no real tactile reset but good enough for what I'll use it for, range and home defense. Range time coming.

See less See more
#2 ·
You are on fire lately! Congrats.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Apex upgrade to my Shield at first, but I've really warmed to it. I've never shot the full sized version, but my experience was similar with the smoother pull and cleaner break post upgrade.

#6 ·
I have the Shield 9mm and love that little gun but If I had fired my Brothers M&P 40 before I bought the shield I would have never gone for it. His trigger is feels like I am pulling a rasp over a file. It seriously needs a trigger job, that being said a friend of mine is just getting into firearms and bought his first gun: a S&W SD9ve and that things has got to be one of the worst triggers I have ever pulled.

#7 ·
My dad has a Shield 9mm, my brother had an M&P .40, and my SIL had a SD9ve. I totally agree with your assessment of these three guns. My brother has upgraded to a CZ P07 9mm and my SIL has upgraded to a LC9s.

Congrats Bunk on a nice gun, hopefully the trigger upgrade helps as the ergonomics of the M&P are really good.

#8 ·
Had a shield I installed an apex enhancement kit on. It was meh..
Just traded my H&K vp9 for the Pro Series CORE 9mm. It's got the Apek enhancement competition kit and Dawson fiber optic sights on it. Trigger still doesn't have much felt reset. I'm going to install their new flat trigger and an optic on it. Should be nice.

From what I've heard this is a game changer for the M&P line and a must have.

Red Flat Faced Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit M&P : RED FLAT FACE FORWARD SET TRIGGER | Brownells

#9 ·
I'm a big M&P fan, but have gotten around to getting one in .45

#25 ·
Only Taurus is up to that particular task ;)

#16 ·
I've got a Reeder Custom Super Blackhawk .44 Mag with that same crown ed barrel, unfluted of course.

#20 ·
Right? Reeder doesn't turn put disappointments either.

Granted, this is also python territory in price...
I'd take that over an Anaconda and those are in that range when they're a deal.

#22 ·
Crappy pics, but you get the jist. ;)

#24 ·
Reactions: JoeOU1
#23 ·
Damn fine addition! I need to get a Smithy to add to the collection...but a VP9 is first :)

Reactions: Helpdesk9
#31 ·
Shot great and I have an Apex trigger spring kit in it so the trigger felt great. Some creep but it's smooth as silk, clean, crisp break but the reset still leaves a lot to be desired. A very smooth shooting 45 ACP, the XDM used to be my favorite polymer 45, this is now my fav.

Reactions: DevJames
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.