My Armscor 1911 review

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by RojasTKD, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RojasTKD

RojasTKD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Picked up last week. Took to the range today (4/11/05).

INITIAL IMPRESSION:

It come with many of the common extras:
    1)Ambi thumb safety
    2) Bevertail grip safety with bump
    3)commander style hammer
    4) skelatonized trigger (though I think this one is ugly... 3 rectriangular holes).
    5) FLGR (to hard to take apart... now has standard rod)
    6)Lowered ejection port.
    7) Novak sights (no nite site or white dots though).
    8) flat MSH (I think I like it better than the arched one on my other 1911's)
    9)Front and rear serrations (you can see the machining marks in between)

Seems to be well made. Fit and finish is not that of a higher priced 1911, but good enough for what I paid. The blue finish is not too bad, I like it better than my Springfield GI's Park finish. It does have 3 spots where the finish shows imperfections. The trigger and grip safety have a little more wiggle than my Springfield or colt (with Brown Grip safety installed). The thumb safety is easier the disengage than my Springer (but that one is down right hard sometimes) but much "snappier" than the smith installed brown safety on my colt. I would like it to be a little stiffer on the disengage side, but not bad as is.

Trigger pull as not bad at all. Better than I or my FFL expected. about a 5 lbs trigger pull or so.

Not exactly an Ed Brown or even a springfiled loaded, but for the money I can't complain. If fact it nicer than I expected.

Also it comes with an external extractor and a ramped barrel.

AT THE RANGE:

Well I used a colt 7 rd mad, Springer 7 rd mad, 2 Wilson 8 rd mags and a McCormick 8 and 2 Mitchell 10 rounders (by McCormick I believe). The Colt mag fit so tight it was difficult to remove. The other mags worked just fine. I did have about 6 FTE's all with ball (S&B). It fed all the Hallow points though (Hornady and Golden sabers). Well see after a few hundred more rounds if it goes away. I found it shoots VERY well, and is very controllable. I was amazed by it accuracy. MUCH MUCH better than I expected. about the same as my colt maybe better! I have to take all three out and see witch is the accuracy King. My Springer GI only has one range trip with me. At any rate this Armscor Shot very well for me. I got more than I expected for the $409 I paid for it (including shipping and transfer). It extracted just fine. Better than my colt witch sometime has trouble in that department. It also didn't eject brass in my face or on my head like my colt like to do and the Springfield sometimes does.

UPGRADES I WILL MAKE:

Well, I had a bunch planed, but now sure I need many if any...

(1) I do want an extended slide stop.

(2) I may add a chip McCormick trigger because it just think the one it comes with is UGLY and I just don't like the thought of it being more wiggly than the others (though not by much).

(3) While I'm at it may also put a McCormick sear also, just because.

(4)Thought about a McCormick Trigger as well, but the one it has look very similar, but a bit larger (I kinda like it larger).

(5)Tan Gunner Grips (if I can find them)

(6) Debating a brown Bobtail MSH for carry.

(7) A SS recoil spring plug, just for looks. To match the SS barrel.

I try and post pics of my first groups with the Armscor.

BUTTOM LINE:

Makes a great little inexpensive shooter. For the price it a winner.

Fit and finish aren't gonna win any awards and some recommend replacing springs and some small parts (ejector). Some purest would not tolerate the external extractor.

But if you on the market for a 1911 that shoot and well that is easy on the pocket book... the Armscor is a contender. It makes a great range gun. A car gun that can be thrown around or even a carry gun.

If your looking at getting one I hope yours proves to be the surprise mine is, at least to this point.

Now, when I can afford a high end 1911 (Less Bear) I will have the one of those too. I'm sure that will be a totally different animal (it better be!).

2. Ed Ely

Ed Ely Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Good for you. Glad you like your new machine and are
    pleased with it. Thanx for the report.

Ed

3. slowpoke13

slowpoke13 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't see it... Can I ask how much you paid? Ballpark if you don't want to give specifics.

4. SLCDave

SLCDave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

5. SLCDave

SLCDave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard Amscor is the same company that makes the Rock Island Armory 1911, but that the Amscor seems a little more finished than the RIA's. Congratulations!

6. robz71lm7

robz71lm7 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Armscor does indeed make the RIA and Charles Daly. The RIA is just a GI (few exceptions like the ejection port) gun without the upgrades. The armscor branded one has a bunch of the common upgrades. The RIA's are a great value at $300 though.

7. RojasTKD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I paid 379.99 on auction arms plus 14.50 shipping plus 30 for transfer... about $425 in all.

Yes, Armscor makes RIA and supplies the parts for Charles Daly, Daly assembles the pistols in-house. I will try to post some pics the weekend.

8. So Flo

So Flo XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 1
    Rojas, Great report.
    Didn't you just buy a mil-spec as well?
    We need to set up a PB County shoot...Tactical Zone in Riviera Beach is not part of the ammo cartel.

9. HighVelocity

HighVelocity XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's interesting to hear that yours fed hollow points as mine did not. Mine is currently at the smith getting a polish and throat. I'll hopefully be able to test it out tomorrow.

Mine also had some trouble with several magazines and there was a casting flaw in the magwell that was dragging on some mags. 2 passes with a file fixed that.

I also experienced good accuracy and the trigger on mine is pretty nice.

Mine is like yours in that it has a ramped barrel and external extractor but I have seen some that have internal extractors and standard barrels with the same serial prefix. There is no consistancy in the serial numbers which leads me to believe that the frames come from one place but the uppers come from several different places.

10. RojasTKD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

yeah, I recently picked up a Spingfield GI also. What can I say I have the 1911 bug.

My last few range visits have been at the Tactical Zone. I refuse to be forced to may extra to use range ammo! Lets set up a shoot, my new Armscor needs more range time. The bad thing about The Tactical Zone is that they close at 6pm (and are a little small). I plan to pick up some ammo this week. Let me know when you are available to shoot.

here is a link to the same review on the 1911 fourm on GT, with pics:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370478

11. RojasTKD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, mine did fail to lock back the slide using my Chip McCormick 8rd mag. My COlt 7 rd factory mag fit so tight I almost could't take it out. I tried putting in my Wilson extended slide stop off my colt. When I did I wouldn't put the slide back on, as it did not have enough clearance. I guess I will have to to some home smithing when my extended slide stop arrive for the Armscor. Oh, well good thing it the only thing I want to do to this pistol... well, that and some gunner G10 Grips. Does anyone know where I can get some Gunner grips in that tan color and/or black. I want both... Tan for the Armscor and black for my next 1911 project (more about that later).

12. So Flo

So Flo XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 1
    Rojas, Nice pics...my Para will be jealous when we go shoot!

13. RojasTKD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I look foward to it.

14. trap kid

trap kid XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my dad and I traded last week for an armscor 1911. it came with 2 novaks 8rd mags. put about 200 rounds thru and fed and ejected every one of em fine. even feeds wad cutters believe it or not. infact I even accidently slipped in a little wolf ammo and it ate that just fine as well. ill need to put more ammo thru it but I luv that gun.

15. hytekblue

hytekblue XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great timing and great report. I have been wanting another 1911... Actually I want a 1911 that i don't have a lot of money in.

Maybe after you get a few thousand rounds through the armscor and the SA GI you can give us an another report on how you feel about the two.

I guess I need to go window shopping now for a new 1911 and a larger safe.