Springfield XD Forum banner

My AK and mods

6K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  einheit 13 
#1 ·
I liked it straight out of the box and it's a pleasure to shoot, so in liking it as much as I did, I decided that I would dress it up a little more to suit its' personality.

So, the first thing I did was pull the high comb buttstock and added a Canis Yugo adapter and a DPH skeleton stock and wrapped the top of it with some OD paracord. This pic shows an Ace folder, but I wasn't a big fan of the folder portion so I just mounted it straight to the receiver.

After careful consideration of how I wanted the gun setup, I decided that I wanted to mod an Midwest Industries style scope mount rail because the clamping rail on them was actually better than the MI rail.

Meaning the ebay mount has more gripping surface.

Once the little stop was milled off and would slide onto the rail, the rest of it went together like clockwork.

Test fitting the mount to the rail.

I was wanting to use the thread adapter to use the suppressor on it, but I haven't had the time to check it to make sure that everything is concentric to the bore yet.

So, while I liked the wood handguard and wanted to keep it instead of swapping to an MI railed handguard, I wanted something a little more reminiscent of the old guards patrolling the Kremlin, so I took the handguards off, sanded the wood down with 200 grit and then followed by 400 grit back down to bare wood and gave it a liberal soak in Scarlett red RIT dye for about an hour while turning the pieces over about every 10 minutes.

Then allowed the pieces to dry over one of my vents overnight and then used a few coats of Satin Minwax polyurethane to seal them and reinstalled.

And now that the sling is on, the optic is mounted as low as it can get, and I put on a strike industries grip, I call it done.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.