Springfield XD Forum banner

My AK and mods

6K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  einheit 13 
#1 ·
I liked it straight out of the box and it's a pleasure to shoot, so in liking it as much as I did, I decided that I would dress it up a little more to suit its' personality.

So, the first thing I did was pull the high comb buttstock and added a Canis Yugo adapter and a DPH skeleton stock and wrapped the top of it with some OD paracord. This pic shows an Ace folder, but I wasn't a big fan of the folder portion so I just mounted it straight to the receiver.

After careful consideration of how I wanted the gun setup, I decided that I wanted to mod an Midwest Industries style scope mount rail because the clamping rail on them was actually better than the MI rail.

Meaning the ebay mount has more gripping surface.

Once the little stop was milled off and would slide onto the rail, the rest of it went together like clockwork.

Test fitting the mount to the rail.

I was wanting to use the thread adapter to use the suppressor on it, but I haven't had the time to check it to make sure that everything is concentric to the bore yet.

So, while I liked the wood handguard and wanted to keep it instead of swapping to an MI railed handguard, I wanted something a little more reminiscent of the old guards patrolling the Kremlin, so I took the handguards off, sanded the wood down with 200 grit and then followed by 400 grit back down to bare wood and gave it a liberal soak in Scarlett red RIT dye for about an hour while turning the pieces over about every 10 minutes.

Then allowed the pieces to dry over one of my vents overnight and then used a few coats of Satin Minwax polyurethane to seal them and reinstalled.

And now that the sling is on, the optic is mounted as low as it can get, and I put on a strike industries grip, I call it done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great!

#4 ·
Thank you both for the compliments. I just enjoy personalizing them to suit me.

Rayedis, I am more than satisfied with the gun. If they all are like this one, then you won't regret it.

#7 ·
Thanks again for the compliments.

Mike, everyone needs an AK. They're really good guns.

Taylor, I liked the reddish look better too. I didn't want it a fire engine red or cherry red. Just "some" red. ;)

It just reminds me when I was young during the height of the cold war, seemed like every time you turned around you were seeing either an M16, a Fal or an AK on the TV.

#8 ·
love the red! well executed...

I also look forward to the report about whether the side-mount rail will hold zero...seems promising...

#9 ·
The side rail mount is solid.

There is no movement in it in any direction.

I would like to go zero it in the next few days if the weather holds out, but the temps are supposed to get down in the single digits sometime this week.

#10 ·
Hope it holds up...far too many of the side-mounts are just garbage...yours seems very promising for sure...

#11 ·
Nice looking weapon! Thanks for sharing.

#14 ·
I will pay what you did, with no extras
I think they're worth that. Even with no extra's.

Yeah, I know AK's used to cost less years ago and blah blah blah.

But it's not 30 years ago anymore.

Soooo...

But I only got what extras I did because the guys' wife was scared of it and they were running out of college grant $$$$.

And I think wifey-pooh had something big in mind for HER Christmas present, but that's all between them. I just liked the gun.

Reactions: einheit 13
#15 ·
I like everything, except for the non com bloc sight!

#16 · (Edited)
It's a Bushnell.

Made in China.

How is China not communist bloc?

#17 ·
Nice mods, looks sweet! The only mod I've made to my new WASR so far has been to replace the stock grip with a Magpul MOE one. I also have a Krebbs ambi safety on order (I'm a lefty) that should arrive Saturday and I'll install that myself. Then should be all set to go as far as AK mods for me, except figuring out how to mount a lefty sling to it without overly-bastardizing or replacing the wood furniture too much (I really like how it looks and feels).

#18 ·
Then should be all set to go as far as AK mods for me, except figuring out how to mount a lefty sling to it without overly-bastardizing or replacing the wood furniture too much (I really like how it looks and feels).
Please keep us up to date on this. :) My Zastava NPAP doesn't have a sling mount on the wood stock either and I'm in the same boat. I'd like to see what solution you come up with because I also like the wood stock on mine. I also really like the ACE skeleton stock too though, so I'm kind of torn. I'm also a lefty when it comes to shooting, but I just deal with the right-handed controls.

#19 ·
If I had kept the wood stock on mine, I was going to buy an AK or sks sling mount.

SKS Sling Swivel

#23 ·
#28 ·
Great ideas man! I will look into those, especially the last one. I did see those others you posted too but my concern is they won't interface with the aftermarket MOE grip I put on. The MOE doesn't use the standard bolt, it's a much shorter one and I worry that the extra "length" from putting that sling plate on would make the bolt too short.

Btw I got the Krebs ambi safety tonight and let me say this thing is AWESOME! It makes it so much easier to engage and disengage the safety than the stock format, no matter what hand you shoot from. Also like the notch so it can be locked open at the range for safety. Was also super easy to install. With the help of a YouTube video it took me only 2 minutes! Only downside is that the directions for "safe" and "fire" are backwards from what I'm used to on m AR. What I mean is that to fire the weapon I flick the safety up with my left thumb, not down like I'm used to. Vice versa for safe mode. Not the end of the world (will definitely come easier with practice) and definitely a small price to pay to make it as easy and effortless as it now is! To the OP and any lefty AK shooters I HIGHLY recommend this product!

#29 ·
I notched my own on my Saiga...maybe I will fab up and tack weld a tab on to mimic that one! looks pretty B A sir

Reactions: AirForceAce357
#30 ·
I say go for it if you want but I don't have the shop setup for that (live in an apt) nor the time so it was well worth the $65 I paid to get it from MidwayUSA.

#31 ·
I like to build my own stuff...make subtle changes...and now I know where to get a replacement if I totally FUBAR it :lol:

#34 ·
Which m70 model?? A, A1, B, B1, AB2, B1N, AB2N??

Fitment...the type of stock, if you have a rail, and the type of grip nut/nut block (free or riveted) determines which model you buy.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/fa17da_e0cccc4c86264fc89f959863dc3ce596.pdf

Or notch the grip and add a piece of cord.....

If you have a lower tang, remove a screw and add a swivel to the tang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.