My 702 Mossberg Plinkster to G36 conversion.

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Adician, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Adician

Adician XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alrighty guys.

First conversion project, and I wanted a few opinions on what to do and the best method to accomplish it.

I plan on taking a Mossberg 702 Plinkster, and turning it into a G36 sniper conversion using an Airsoft hollowed out shell. Not an SL-8, to elaborate.

I want to put a fake can on it too, but I'm using a local gunsmith to thread the barrel. I'm thinking about using epoxy putty to set the reciever on the inside of the G36 shell.

Any ideas or suggestions? Will post pictures when done, and will be done by next Friday.

Want it to look like this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 2
    when your done post pics I"m curious

3. twitch1706

twitch1706 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've seen similar projects over at RimfireCentral; it's something I've thought about a bunch. One thing that I did take away from those threads was that you've got to be careful about putting on a "can."

**my understanding is as follows** Even if it's simply a plastic shell mock-up of a supressor, if it affects the decibel rating by as little as 1dB, it could be construed by an overzealous LEO as an illegal can (probably as much as an overzealous prosecutor could take someone's lightened trigger-job and turn it into a man-killer case... unlikely, but a possibility)

On the whole, it's a nifty project to be undertaken, and I'm greatly interested in the end result. Good luck!

4. Adician

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm probably going to end up using a Spikes Tactical, but I'd much prefer something longer.

Anybody have any suggestions?

5. Adician

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alrighty. Got a Mossberg 702 at Dicks Sporting Goods for 110 out the door, stripped it down and cleaned it, and sent it off to get threaded all within an hour.

Now to pick a shell!

6. Torquejunky

Torquejunky XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a thought, but if you have a drill press, you could drill/tap the receiver and bolt it to the "chassis" that way. Machine shop would prob do it pretty cheap if you don't have one....

7. Adician

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one. ;)

I'm epoxy puttying(Not a word.:roll:) a threaded 3/4 coupling into the stock, and the receiver bolts into it.

I'm also using sex screws throughout the body to keep it tight.

However, I still need recommendations for a suppressor! Needs to be 1.25 by 7-9 inches long. All the ones the correct width are way to short, and all the ones the correct length are way too wide!

8. MoFooKiN

MoFooKiN XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Man I would really really like to know how this all turned out for you, which air soft frame you used and how you went about it in general. Also if you know of any official 702 kits. I do not have a drill press but might be able to use one if I know where to drill ect. I have recently purchased a 702 plinckster and havent been able to find a decent tutorial for doing the airsoft, and no luck with kits either.. I honestly thought u could buy a kit to turn the 702 into a 715t but alas I con not find one.. thanx for the help

9. exigentxyz

exigentxyz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

While I was searching on the internet, for something totally unrelated, I happen to run across the link: “My 702 Mossberg Plinkster to G36 conversion” a couple of days ago.

I really like your project!

This is all new to me.

Has this idea been around for a long time and/or what gave you the idea to start making these conversions?

Since then I’ve been Googling this subject but have not yet found any useful information on this as a hobby.

Possible I’ve yet to hit-on and use the right combination of search terms.

The only other link I found was “My collection of .22LR dress up kits for 10/22's and Marlin795's”, however, I have been unable to contact that person yet.

Anyway, after reading& looking at your post I decided that this might make a very interesting and affordable hobby for me.

Primarily it is affordable because I already have a modest mid-level collection of rifles and shotguns in a broad range of calibers, e.g. 12ga. 22LR, 22-250, 25-06, .303, .308, 7.62x54Retc. etc. ….

Most of them are common and mid price ranged of hunting and early military weapons like the Enfield .303 jungle carbine with wood stocks.

So they could easily be returned back into their respective original configurations whenever I wanted.

For example, my old Nagant 91/30 might be an authentic & appropriate match to place in an airsoft SVD sniper rifle body.

I do not have experience with the sport of airsoft or its equipment so I’m assuming your approach is cheaper, easier to find, has more choices and more adaptability than simply using traditional stock modifications that are sold by venders suchas Cheaper Than Dirt, Natchez Shooters Supplies or AIM Surplus etc. ….

Do you have any suggestions on how I can find sources/ internet links to educate myself in order get off on the right foot with this hobby?

I’ve looked at a few broken, partial or non-function airsoft guns in “Boneyards” at some airsoft websites but they still were not cheap.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically figuring out which airsoft bodies/ shells to buy and knowing beforehand if the gun shells are going to fit my weapon project prior to purchasing the shell body.

Thanks
    eXigentxyz

10. exigentxyz

exigentxyz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry about the wrong info in the above post; I meant to say either the JS-7.62or SV-98 sniper rifle body instead of the SVD.