Most reliable .380 out there ?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Tercel89, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Tercel89

Tercel89 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    What is the most reliable .380 out there ?
    I vote the CZ-83 . I have a 22 yr old CZ-83 and a new CZ-83 . Both have not had any malfunctions at all . The CZ-83 can be shot and shot and still run strong . I have read and heard from friends that a Keltec and similiar have a short round life , but can be replaced by warranty .
    So whats your most reliable .380 ? I am talking about like over 2-3,000 rds out of it or more .

2. gregj

gregj XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Sig P230 that should easily fall into this category. I bought it from a coworker last year, no telling how many rounds were through it when he got it. It still shoots like a champ, and I've not had one single failure of any kind with it.

3. Tercel89

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Is the frame steel or alloy?

4. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've heard good things about Sig's new P238, but I havent' been able to fire one yet. And I've also heard Sig's quality is slipping.:(

5. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's a tough one to answer. To be on the safe side and totally honest.
    I'd have to say if you own a .380 and have never had any problems with it, then that's one one that is most reliable to you. With all the .380's out there, and the ones that have been out there in the past I really wouldn't have a clue as which one is absolutely the most reliable. I am sure though it could be a discussion that could go on forever, and I'm sure some die hard .380 lovers could get pretty fired up about it.

My .380 Kel Tec is what it is,and what it isn't is a gun you would want to put thousands of rounds through. It's nothing more than a self defence pocket pistol or a BUG. I've been hearing allot of Leo's have been buying them up faster than doughnuts.
    (just kidding guys). Is it reliable for what I need it for? I belive it is now that it's broken it and has had a Fluff and Buff.
    It is going to be fun to see where this topic of the most reliable .380 ends up though.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Tercel89

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I heard that too about Sig . Sad to hear .
    I wanted to get a Sig 238 but I wanted the bugs to be weeded out . They have a recall going on now .

7. gregj

gregj XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steel, it's a P230 SL.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  8. bsleagle10

bsleagle10 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I spent an hour in my local shop yesterday with the Kel-Tec .380, the LCP, and the P238. Hands down the p238 both looks and feels better however it's much heavier. If your purpose is the range and some carry the p238 (assuming post recall, etc) would be the way I would go. If your purpose is a BUG either the Kel-Tec or LCP seem like better choices, especially if pocket carry is planned.

I would have a hard time justifying the nearly 2X's price of the p238 but might if I planned to do a considerable amount of range time with the gun.

Prices as of yesterday (Charleston, SC) were:

Kel-Tec - 315+
    LCP - 399
    p238 - 647

I've been extremely pleased with my Bersa Thunder .380 which eats every type of ammo I put through it. I see a Kel-Tec or LCP in my future though as even the Bersa isn't what I would consider a pocket friendly gun.

9. Tercel89

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I wanted the Bersa and tried to talk myself into it but I havent seen any reports of people having more than 2,000 rds out f them .
    Anyone have a long term Bersa report ?

10. bullit

bullit XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

the sig recall was only for 2700 guns. so if your new 238 was outside these serial numbers you should be good to go.

11. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a Bersa 380 with only a couple of hundred rounds through it.
    It has taken various manufacturer rounds. I have only tried Gold Dot for self defense rounds. No feed problems or misfires with anything I've fed it so far.

As to longevity I looked through the Bersa Talk forum and here are some links:

In this thread claims of 2600 and 3000 rounds:

:: Bersa Talk :: - 1000 Rounds and counting

:: Bersa Talk :: - Rounds thru BT380

A fellow in this thread claims 5000+ rounds:
    :: Bersa Talk :: - How long will a thunder 380 last

Some heresay on round counts here:

Bersa Thunder 380 Chapterhouse

The Bersa's are inexpensive guns, I don't expect them to be long lasting.
    I look at the decocker and feel it's roughness and compare that to my Beretta 92. No comparison. But the Beretta was twice the price of the Bersa. From what I gather spring problems will be first thing to crop up. I recall some reports of breaking the lever on the decocker.

If you get the black and gold model (the pimp), don't let gunscrubber hit the gold parts.

Couple of things to note:
    The recoil spring is unidirectional, one end has a smaller diameter than the other. The small end goes towards the breach, large to the muzzle.

Don't pull the trigger with the grips off. Springs will fly. I read about that and I can learn by the experience of others.

Good luck on finding 2000+ rounds of 380acp.

12. Tiburon65

Tiburon65 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Colt Gov't .380, had it for 24 yrs never a failure other that wide mouth HP's. They dont feed well. When it has good ammo, fmj or other HP's its flawless. I wouldnt say I have 2k rounds through it, maybe 1k+. Looking forward to trying Hornady's new critical defense ammo.

13. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I've not owned a .380 but i do have the CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov. Different caliber but the same gun. It is a robust design with a reputation for toughness and reliability. It is not the lightest gun in it's class, however.

14. konigfritz

konigfritz XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I have a stainless Sig P230 great gun of course not a compact as the kel tec and the P238, but it is a joy to shoot.

15. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Same here. The extractor pin worked it's way loose, but I fixed that easy enough with a punch.