Most accurate gun under $700?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by mjb71, Oct 2, 2010.

1. mjb71

mjb71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research on different guns and have been wondering which is the considered the most accurate within my budget, $700? 9mm is the platform I decided on.

A follow up question to this is, what would be the most accurate considering upgrades that I could do in the future? I know that almost any gun right now is more accurate than I could ever be but I would like to be able to grow with what ever gun I buy.

This thread is further to my other thread, First Gun, and for those that didn't see it I have shot a Glock 17, S&W M&P 9, XDm 9 which I liked and Glock 19 & 21 that I didn't like. I have also been considering the CZ 75 SP01 Phantom which I have handled and the FN 9's which I haven't had a chance to look at in person.

Thanks for any insight and advice you can provide.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HiPoint C9. Fixed barrel= very accurate. I shoot my C9 better than my other pistols that cost 5-10X as much. The fit and finish sucks, but it works every time. I am planning on taking it to a steel plate match at my range and whoop some Nighthawk arse.

If you want to spend more, I would recommend the CZ-75. I normally run a 75b in .40 for competition. SA trigger and hammer from CZcustom, with some other goodies.

3. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Others to consider would be a Sig P226 or P228. Both are great firearms, extremely accurate, and if you can find them used, can be had for under $700.

4. mjb71

mjb71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I probably won't buy used unless I come across something real clean with low round count. Always an option though.

Thanks.

5. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    If you liked the Glock 17, look at a Glock 34; longer barrel, adjustable sights, competition trigger; they usually go for less than $600 new.

If you are considering the CZ platform, look at an EAA Witness Elite Match; my 10mm makes one ragged hole at 50 feet if I keep up my end. Usually can be found around $550.

S&W makes a M&P Pro, a longer-barreled competition M&P; I was looking at one today for $630, new, at a gun show.

Of the three, I haven't shot an M&P Pro, but have a standard M&P; however, I do have a G34 and a Witness Elite Match, and will state the Witness is the most accurate of the three.

As far as upgrades, the Glock will have the most options out there, as far as improving the trigger, sights, etc. It is also the easiest to work on.

6. drocay

drocay XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my EEA Witness Elite Match.

7. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Nothing wrong with a used Sig or HK, in decent condition..
    My used HK USPc in 9mm is very accurate, as well as all my Sig pistols..
    I think a lot of it depends on what kind of trigger you're looking for/at.
    Are you wanting to go for a Glock type trigger, or looking to go DA/SA with a Sig or similar pistol, or a single action with a 1911?
    If the answer is Glock or XD, perhaps a Sig with a DAK trigger will work for you, or an HK with LEM.
    No external saftey or decocker on either of them..

8. ARin

ARin XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    if you have to ask this question, chances are you arent a good enough shooter to know or tell the difference.

Most pistols are generally more accurate than the shooter can manage.

9. mjb71

mjb71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Arin, no doubt about that. I previously stated that I would like a gun I can grow into. I am the kind of person who likes to be good at what ever I attempt. I am hoping that with some time and practice I can get close to matching the ability of whatever gun I decide to buy.

I am curious as to the advantages of the different trigger types. This is one area I haven't researched yet.

Thanks for input so far, I have a few more choices to consider now.

10. ARin

ARin XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Generally trigger has the most to do with a pistol's accuracy. Heavier, gritty or inconsistent triggers have a tendency to degrade performance.

single action pistols with crisp, light, short triggers will tend to be the easiest for the shooter.

1911 meets that criteria, but is not 9mm...however there are the oddball 9mm variants.

the xd has a pretty decent trigger if you compare them to the spectrum of striker fired poly framed pistols on the market.

the MP trigger is lighter, albeit longer, mushier and with a terrible reset.

glocks with trigger work done can be quite good, as their reset is great right out of the box.

11. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I can definitely appreciate what you are trying to do but I don't think there is any good answer to your question. As both you and ARin stated there are dozens of guns out there in your price range that can outshoot most of us. Even if you go the most accurate of the bunch, there is no guarantee that it will fit you, that you will be able to shoot it, or that you will like to shoot it. My wife's EMP, for instance, is a gun that I just can't seem to shoot well at 10 yards or farther however I can empty a mag on most of my 1911s, XD, Glock, etc into a 3" circle in that same distance most of the time. My wife shoots exceptionally well with it so it's just a situation where it just doesn't fit me.

It might also help to understand what you are going to do with it and what preferences you have. Big, Small, 3", 4", 5", fixed sights, night sight, range work, carry, HD, steel, polymer, alloy, etc. There are a zillion options depending on what you want and without some idea of what YOU are looking for you are just going to get everyone's favorites that again, might not fit you at all. All good guns but they just might not be what works for you.

The best thing you can do is to read and go fondle and preferrably shoot a bunch to see which feels the best to you. You asked about trigger types but that will lead you right back to the type of gun you want. The design of a 1911 means that it has a trigger unlike any other. Glocks and XDs have a different design so their triggers are specific to striker fired guns. DA guns have long heaver first pulls because of the design of the gun. So on and so on. Hard to say which you will prefer until you go dry fire a few and feel the differences. In the end, there is a very good chance that you will start off with one gun and, as your skills improve, end up with something else.

Not trying to be difficult. I just think it's better to look and feel and narrow it down to a couple models that seem to be the best fit rather than looking for the "best", or in this case, most accurate. You listed several good models so I would start with those, keep looking at the rest, and then pick the one that feels and shoots the best. That will probably be the one that you are "most accurate" with.

12. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Well stated Dirty Rod...:mrgreen:

mjb71, do some research and buy something.
    Doesn't mean you'll be stuck with it forever if it doesn't work out.
    Against the advice of some (well many), if a firearm doesn't meet my needs, I sell it and try another one.
    By all means rent before buying if possible, but if you buy a particular pistol, and don't like it, sell it.
    Don't trade it in to a gun store, if at all possible..
    If your local laws allow, sell it and buy something else, or work a trade with an individual that has what you want.
    Again, provided your local and state laws allow such an exchange.

I've owned over 20 handguns in my lifetime, I currently own around seven..
    These seven I never plan to sell, most will be handed down to my kids when the time comes.
    It was trial and error and 16 years to see exactly what fits my wants and needs.
    I owned 4 XD pistols in the last 4 years, owning none of them now.
    I've sold 5 pistols using this forum and many at local gun shows in Dallas.

I favor Sigs (with a DAK trigger), HKs (with LEM trigger), one 1911 (in 9mm at that ;)), and my beloved Ruger LCP.
    I've owned Berettas (still have one to hunt with, 1st pistol was a 92FS), Glocks (sold them when I got into XDs), S&W 642 (the 642 was sold when I bought the LCP), S&W 4013 tactical (sold it after buying my first DA/SA Sig), Sigs with DA/SA (just didn't work for me, I either sold them or converted them to DAK), XDs (sold them off after taking to the DAK Sigs, never really cared for the XD trigger), and others I can't even remember..

You can buy Sigma and shoot it enough to be accurate with it.
    If you wanna go that route, if you can shoot a Sigma accurately, anything else should be a piece of cake..:mrgreen:
    No offense to Sigma owners, you know what I mean..

Different guns work for different people.
    I'd never buy a Kel-Tec.
    Bluto swears by his, and that is fine.
    Whatever works for him is cool with me.
    He doesn't care for my LCP, but he also doesn't care that I like it better than the Kel-Tec.

Many, many , many Sig shooters dislike the Sig DAK trigger.
    But I love it and can shoot it well.
    But it took me several years of trying to adapt to the DA/SA Sigs for me to realize it just wasn't the answer for me.
    I love Sigs, but the DAK works best for me.
    I don't like decockers or external safeties on a carry gun (all my pistols are carry guns).
    I also like a consistent trigger pull on my carry guns as well (hence no DA/SA or decocker).
    So the Sig DAK and HK LEM work for me.
    The only external saftey I can deal with is a 1911 type thumb saftey.
    There is nothing like the crisp break of a good 1911 trigger.
    But it took me 11 years to realize that.
    For 11 years I said I'd never buy a 1911 type pistol..
    But last year I bought my Kimber CDP Ultra (ya, in 9mm), it is comparable to Dirty Rod's wife's EMP, and I love it.

I hope this rant makes sense to you..

It is much like the old holster ordeal you might read about in the forums.
    Many people want to buy the one perfect holster for their first gun.
    It is almost impossible to do.
    The running joke is we will all end up with a drawer or box filled with holsters we've tried and failed with, before find the one that works.
    I've got a box in my closet that has about 15 holsters in it.:shock::oops:
    Probably need to get some of them sold.....:mrgreen:

Good luck Bro.....1LL

13. mongovb

mongovb XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll add another one for the Witness Elite Match. It has a fully adjustable trigger and is very accurate. It is based off of the CZ design minus the price. I use mine in USPSA limited and 3 gun. I picked up mine for 520.

14. kenneth

kenneth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would say CZ 75 or SP01 or a shadow. Mine is extremely accurate sometimes I have to make sure I actually hit the target because my front sight covers the hole up.

15. mjb71

mjb71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate the direct and constructive answers you guys have given me, I definitely have more to think about now. The EAA Witness Elite Match looks very interesting.

As for my needs, it's a range gun first, HD second. I have no plans to carry immediately although I will likely get my CCW at some point in the future. For that I would buy something more suited to the task. Right now 4-5" barrel sounds like the right fit. I haven't really thought about night sights. Everything I have shot till now has been Polymer but I am not against heavier steel gun. I'm aware that a heavier gun can help with recoil and muzzle flip. Physically I am 6ft, 160lb and have somewhat small hands. To go with that, I would like for my wife to comfortable operating any gun that I buy for HD scenarios when I am not home.

Keep the advice coming guys, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Matt