Mossberg 930 JM Pro?

Discussion in 'Shotgun Talk' started by CopNa454Sierra, Sep 19, 2012.

1. CopNa454Sierra

CopNa454Sierra XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Anybody have any experience with this gun? Looking into the 22" 8+1 cap for a duty long gun.

Before anybody says it; I want to be using a shotgun, not an AR or other rifle platform. It's just my preference. Grew up hunting deer, ducks, and geese with my shotgun. I'm comfortable with them and already have some of the speedloading skill down from duck hunting. My department's got some 870 Police models I can use for a while, but I want something to call my own.

If anyone has any experience with the Mossberg JM Pro, I'd appreciate the input. My research turned up some (but not near enough to make me think it's a common problem) people who had some feeding issues; especially with short brass. Anyone have any issues?

Thanks folks! :)

Mossberg & Sons | JM Pro 930

2. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I personally own both the Mossberg 930SPX and the JM Pro series. Out of the box the 930SPX ate everything from cheap bulk ammo at walmart to 3" slugs. The JM Pro Series was a different story, she wouldn't cycle cheap bird shot at all. I went online and found a review that highly recommended that you did a through cleaning when you first get it and a break in period. So I took her apart and cleaned out all the heavy grease from the factory. Next I ran roughly 50 rounds of 3" slug down the pipe and another 50 rounds of 2 3/4" buckshot. After doing that it will now eat anything you feed her.

3. CopNa454Sierra

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Alright I can deal with that. I've never heard of a shotgun that required a break in period though. Wierd.
    I appreciate the input. :D Gonna go see what one's gonna run me in the area.

I see a bunch of people have looked at this, so if anyone else has any input I'd appreciate it.

4. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We're all just waiting for an answer :)

I have had an 835 for about 16 years and love it, so of course I'm going to consider the 930 if I buy an auto.

5. Wildcat04

Wildcat04 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cleaned and lubed (clp) mine before I took it out. I ran about 300 rounds through it including slugs and buck shot. It ran estate, federal, Winchester, and Remington with no problems including rapid fire with each. I really like gun and will be shooting my first 3 gun with it Saturday.

6. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    which event in OK will you be shooting at and in what class?

BOOMERSHOOTER.com

7. ian86

ian86 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree once you break them in they will chew thru just about any ammo

8. EvilElmo

EvilElmo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you want to save a few bucks you can get similar capability out of a standard 930. With the 18.5" security barrel and a Nordic Components +2 extension mine's now a 7+1. The tube is flush with the end of the barrel. If money's an issue it'll get you 90% of the way there for $200-300 less than the JM Pro.

9. CopNa454Sierra

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Lol rise thread rise!!!! Muahhahahaha!!!

😉

10. SonOfLiberty

SonOfLiberty XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just bought one thursday. I ran 150 mixed target/field loads first and about 20 high brass loads intermittently, ZERO malfunctions. I enjoy it more than my AR! I was lucky to run into one in my local shop and snagged it, they are hard to find right now.

11. rickman3

rickman3 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought one on GB. Finally one at a decent price. Hopefully I'll have it in my hands by next week. I had a 930SPX that was very reliable but sold it. I wanted the JM Pro with the 22" barrel and the enhancements.

12. CCH

CCH XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Late to the party on this one, but I got a 22" JM Pro back in August. Maybe they changed their grease, but mine hasn't so much as hiccupped. It eats anything. The earlier poster that said it was more fun than his AR wasn't far off the mark.

There are so many things to like about this gun when you take the price point into account. Hell, even when you don't. My strongest surprises and impressions with the gun are primarily two things. First, the amount of recoil or the relative lack thereof is impressive. It's very manageable and feels far more like a semi-auto 16 gauge than a 12. Second, this mother cycles as fast as an AR15. As fast as I can pull the trigger, this sucker is sending spent shells in an arcing plastic rainbow out the ejection port. Sometimes I feel like I could empty the whole tube before the first shell hits the ground - but I'm not quite on the Miculek level of warp-speed ammo expenditure. :)

Buy several cases of 12 gauge shells, because you CAN and WILL want to unload it repeatedly. It's fun. Sure, I bought it with 3 gun in mind, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't have just as much fun rapid firing it at anything downrange that appears to need some lead-assisted deformation and perforation.

Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one, but if they're all like mine I wholeheartedly recommend it.