Mossberg 500A - Specs?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by New2Arms, Apr 25, 2008.

1. New2Arms

New2Arms XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone have info regarding Mossberg 500A shotguns? I looked on mossberg's website and I could not find any details.

A local dealer has two used ("mostly rack wear") Mossberg 500A with a 20" barrel for $125. I am planning on heading over to take a look, but does anyone know more about the model??

What year they were made?
    Shot Capacity?
    Wood or Synthetic furniture?
    Was it discontinued for negative reasons / not as reliable as a modern Mossberg?

The only search on the forum here was for a repair job on one, but contained no additional info. I'm still pursuing a HD shotgun (as my other threads have shown) and I would think $125 is a good price if it's in fairly decent shape...

2. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'd buy both at that price! I have a Mossy 500 cruiser and a 835. Both are awesome shotguns.

3. New2Arms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone with specifics on the Mossberg 500A model??

If it was a persuader/cruiser for $125 I'd buy in a flash since I'm very familiar with that model. But I've never even heard of 500A until he said he had a few of them.

4. rogerxd45

rogerxd45 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    this explains about all the different models and variations

it seems in the case of the 500a the "A" is just to designate its a 12 gauge

500A-12 guage
    500B-16 gauge
    500C-20 gauge
    500- 410 bore

5. New2Arms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info Roger!

Well I have a chance to look at the 500A model tonight. It will be interesting to see what it look likes. Does anyone know if Mossberg uses a dating system built in to the serial numbers, so I would have an easy reference as to when it was produced?

6. New2Arms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I went to look at the used mossbergs...

They are the 8 shot persuader models that were LEO trade ins. They are beat to sheet though. Not just a ding here or there, but scratches and dings all over the place.

He's asking $125 for the LEO trade ins. Is that really a good deal? I can't seem to get over how pretty I like my firearms to be, and for $200 I can get a Maverick 88 8 shot new...

Is is hard to "re-blue" the steel parts? Am I being foolish judging the looks of a HD shotgun? Please weigh in with your thoughts....

Thanks!!

7. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Cosmetics and shotguns rarely go hand in hand. ;) I'd buy any Mossberg at that price. If needed, parts are cheap at Brownells...

8. plastikxd9

plastikxd9 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I took my mossberg 500a out today. All hardwood furniture, 5 shot mag (though I thought it was supposed to be 6??). This thing kicks like a damn mule. No more high-velocity big game loads for plinkin at the range for me!

$125 is a great deal. This one only cost a dollar though (seriously, all it needed was a new stock).

9. boricua9mm

boricua9mm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If the overall look of the gun is important to you then I would pass. You might wind up wanting to refinish it, and that'll cost at least another $125. At that point, you'll have a Mossberg that was abused and then refinished, when you could have had a new one for the same money. Look around, you should be able to find a NIB Moss 500 around $250, hell, even if it means checking for them at Wal-Mart. . I would gladly pay the $50 more for the Mossberg, b/c I like the dual action bars on the pump and I like the rear tang safety better. The Maverick has only one action bar, and has a cross bolt safety on the trigger guard.

On the other hand, if you won't mind the battle scars on the trade-in 500, I have to say a well used Mossberg is still worth $125.

10. New2Arms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So true... It's the vain side of me that can't look past the terrible scratches.

The trick is I would assume that it got that beat up by being in the truck of a cruiser for a few years. So I would think the round count is moderately low. Or if my thinking flawed and it was a range/practice gun, and that's how it got all scratched up, it would have a very high round count.

Which leads me to my next question... for $125 should I care about range count on a beat up 20" 8-shot 12 gauge Mossberg 500? I know where Packerfan lies on the subject ;) , anyone else want to weigh in?

11. lbreevesii

lbreevesii XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its a good shotty. Mine has a 28" bbl and wood furniture. Its fine for field use and what not but from what i've heard you aren't supposed to use slugs in them. I think that the barrel is a bit loose and they "could" cause issues when it hits the constricted end. Also its not something you would want to go out and shoot a ton of trap or something with. After 75-100 shells my shoulder hurts:D

12. Thod24

Thod24 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After 20 years my Mossy and I are still hanging out together. Hasn't done me wrong yet. Still shoots like the day I got it. I wouldn't hesitate to get a used one for $125, scrathes and all. Give that gun a new home ;).

13. New2Arms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0