Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Shotgun Talk' started by shane_huskey, Feb 17, 2011.

1. shane_huskey

shane_huskey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought my first shotgun. It has been about 15 years since I've even shot a shotgun, so I decided that it is about time to go ahead and pick one up. I originally decided on a Remington 870 Express Tactical. Ordered it from Bud's for a pretty good price, but before it shipped, I changed my mind. I called Bud's, and asked them to change my order to a Mossberg 500. I've got a little list of things that I want to do to it, but I haven't gotten started yet.

I know I want to change the sights. Leaning towards Ghost Ring sights. I want to change the stock to a regular synthetic stock. A buddy of mine has a Mossberg 835 that is interested in trading stocks with me if they fit. And of course I am going to find a way to mount one of my Surefire lights on it and a standard sling that I should be able to find in supply. There isn't a whole lot of other stuff that I plan on doing with it. I'm not really into all the goofy stuff that people do to weapons just to make them look cool. I prefer a simple and effective weapon, and don't need all the extra stuff that just adds weight.

Attached Files:

2. KeyboardDevil

KeyboardDevil XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking at the exact same shotgun, do you like it?

3. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. I'm off Monday, planning on going to Watershed and seeing how it does. I'll let you know then.

4. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +718 / 32
    I suggest you take a look at the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I have one on my Mossy and love it.

5. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've looked at it, and also the Mesa Tactical, but to me, they cost too much for what they are. I think I am leaning towards a standard synthetic fixed stock. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. psi chick

psi chick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i'll never understand why people start talking about changing things on a gun before they ever even shoot it.

7. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The same reason you start thinking about the things you need to do to a vehicle to make it fit your needs before you buy it. Or things you are going to do to a house before you close on it. If you have done your proper research, you are going to know what you need long before you make a purchase. When I bought my Jeep, I knew it wasn't going to be able to do what I wanted with the stock tires and lift. Having done research, I had decided on the size of lift and size of tires that I needed to accomplish what I wanted to do, and after I bought the Jeep, I proceeded to buy the things I needed along with a lot of other stuff. When I bought my R6 and Harley, I knew they weren't even close to having everything I needed on them. I needed to make the R6 faster, and the Harley louder just to start off with. I knew all of this before I had even made the initial purchases.

I know this is going to be a Home Defense shotgun. Being in the military and having handled weapons for a number of years, I know the basics that I am going to need to help with use this weapon for it's intended purpose. A shotgun won't do you much good in the dark of the night if you can't see what you are shooting at. Every weapon needs some sortof retention system, and having tried multiple different single point and triple point slings, the old standard 2 point works for me the best. I've used ghost ring type sights on a multitude of different weapons, and they tend to work the best for my eyes. And as I never intend on shooting this shotgun from the waist, a shoulder stock is definitely needed.

Does that help you understand on how proper research and planning could lead to a possible to-do list whether you have actually shot your weapon or not? Now, if I were talking about changing the bolt, the trigger, the extractors and other internals that actually effect the way it shoots, I would say that I agree with you. Shoot it and if you find a problem, fix it. But for standard items that are needed to help one use a tool for it's intended purpose, I think I have enough knowledge to have a basic idea of some stuff I am going to need.

8. Andy_PHA

Andy_PHA XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    any reason why you didn't go with one with a syn stock already on it? Or did you go wth the pistol grip because you thought you would be swapping with your friend? These are nice guns and I'm sure you'll have great service from it. I was going to get one for my first gun, but changed my mind and decided that I'm going with an XDm first. I'm sure a shotgun will be a close second. LOL

9. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went with the pistol grip model because of the deal that I got from Bud's.

10. Andy_PHA

Andy_PHA XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    ah price does trump all in most cases. Was this one of their kits that comes with a tube? I think they brand them BAD or something like that. I've seen some good deals on those, but I know I don't want a pistol grip. Now that you mention it I guess if the price is right it's easy enough to buy an aftermarket stock.

happy shooting.

11. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They brand them JIC (Just In Case) but no, this wasn't one of them. This is the 500 Cruiser. I found the sights I want (XS rail GRS), but they are $200, so unless it is nearly impossible to shoot without sights, I am going to leave it the way it is, especially since an EOTech could be had for a little bit more. Or I had another idea as I was looking through some different sights on the internet. I found a picatinny rail for next to nothing that is designed to bolt up to the drilled and tapped holes on the 500 receiver. It has a channel cut out of the middle, and I think that it may serve as a rear sight (look through the channel and line up the front sight, and it should be good enough for the distance that a shotgun is typically used). I might have to buy a different front sight, but they can be had for pretty cheap. Also, I put the stock from my buddy's 835 on tonight, and it bolted up just fine, so I guess the receiver is the same, at least the rear portion. If my pistol grip fits his 835, then I will leave my 500 like this.

Attached Files:

12. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +214 / 4
    Just put a luminous front bead on it and call it good.

Trijicon, XS all make 'em all for less than $100.

13. Spooled

Spooled XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    imo use the bead unless u are going to be shooting slugs at distances greater than 25 yards. I prefer the bead since i use my shotty for HD and practice at 15 yards max with buckshot.

14. Frontier Owner

Frontier Owner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    its a PGO gun. thats the first thing thats gotta change.
    either go with a pistol grip stock or a field but stock.
    As far as making changes, some times it comes down to availability and plans.
    When I bought my Maverick, I wanted to change stocks, add GR sights, add side saddles, add this, add that, but so far, its gotten a paint job.

15. shane_huskey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Know anything about the fiber optic sights? The HiViz sights are dirt cheap.

I went and shot yesterday, and did fine with just the bead. That being said, I would still like to have a rear sight. I think it would be a more comfortable sight picture. Even if it is just a channeled out Picatinny rail, which I found one for like 8 bucks on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered it.