Mosin Nagant M44 - rear sight twisted

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by doctor_ew, Dec 8, 2008.

1. doctor_ew

doctor_ew XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I bought an M44 back in April and have shot the thing on two occasions, but it wasn't until I had it on my bench doing some trigger work that I noticed this: the rear sight mount is rotated about 5 degrees to the right. I checked a 91/30 and its rear sight mount is dead on at 0 degrees. To me that kind of ruins it for ever being a half-way decent shooter. It shoots okay at 50 yards, but this kind of makes any work I do to try to accurize it a waste of time. Has anyone seen this before? Is there an easy way to correct this or should I just get another M44? I'll post pics later to show exactly what I'm talking about.

2. danp

danp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    If it bugs you then get another one but if you've shot it twice and didn't notice it before, its probably not that big of a deal. On a side note, you would get much better results accurizing a 91/30. 7.62X54R was designed for a long barrell, that's why we get so much flash from M-44s, 38s and 39s.

If you really want to tinker with something, get a 91/30, they're cheaper right now anyway.

3. doctor_ew

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh yeah, the M44 fireball definitely gets some looks at the range. I have a 91/30 hex receiver too. I was doing some trigger work on both of them last weekend when I noticed the rotated rear sight on the M44.

4. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Take a BFH and knock it straight....thats what I do. If that doesn't work, repostion it and drill new holes.

5. doctor_ew

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is the pin that holds the sight mount a single pin that passes through the barrel or is it two pins that only go partially through? If the latter, how would one extract them other then trying to drill them out?