Montana-Gold Bullets...

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by redyak3, Sep 24, 2008.

1. redyak3

redyak3 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was set on the 115gr FMJ in 9mm from Hornady for my first reload. I've got 500 HP-XTPs coming free for getting a press. A friend of mine suggested I look into the Montana-Gold bullets, @ 20.00 cheaper for a thousand than Hornady. Does anyone here use them?
    From the Hornady book: 5.6gr of PowerPistol for 1100 fps, the max is 6.7 gr @1250 fps using either the HP-XTP w/ COL: 1.075 or the FMJ w/ COL:1.100. If I use the the Montana-Golds instead of the Hornadys, would the recipe remain the same? I hope that's not too dumb a question.
    Thanks

2. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    The recipe will change when you change any component. The dimensions of the bullet are very doubtfully the same as the Hornady.

As for the bullets, I've never heard of the company. Doesn't mean they're no good, but I would test them thoroughly for carry. If they're for practice, go for it. Cheaper is always better, assuming you still get a quality bullet.

3. Edubya

Edubya XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Montana Gold are alright for shooting paper! I loaded and shot a case or two of MG. I have no idea why they make a hollow point, it is so hard that it will not expand. I've switched to the FMJ.
    Get a friend or two to go in with you and buy a case. You'll wish that you had bought the case on your own, before you are finished. I don't remember but I think the case has 3,750 bullets or what ever it takes to make up 66 lbs. You'll get your order within three work days brought to you by your friendly USPS. They prefer shipping to a commercial address, I guess because the carriers are more physically able or something... The company is in Montana and I'm in NC, I never sent or received anything with USPS so fast! Their prices include shipping.
    https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

4. mcb

mcb XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have shot over 10,000 Montana Gold 180 CMJ 40 cal bullets. They are excellent bullets for target shooting. They have a very heavy brass (instead of copper) jacket. This heavier jacket help keep them a very uniform size and weight. The CMJ (complete metal jacket) completely encapsulated the lead core so there is no exposed lead which is nice both handleing and shooting them. They are good bullets!

mcb

5. mhillsing23

mhillsing23 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    MGs are good, but I shoot Precision Delta FMJs for range/games/plinking. They are even cheaper and are a good bullet.

6. mcb

mcb XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also recently switch to Precision Delta because of cost. They are good enough for USPSA but I have found them not nearly as consistant and MG. I would sample weight MG and weight would vary at most 0.1grains. With the PD I get variation as high as 1.0grains. I would say that PD's 230gr FMJ 0.451 bullets seemed to be a much better/consistent bullet then the 180gr FMJ 0.400 bullets I have used. Nether are as nice as the MG CMJ but you are going to pay more for that quality.

Rambling
    mcb

7. highscore

highscore XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use MG .124 FMJ's and like them very much. Service is excellent and quality outstanding. Will try JHP's the next time, just because, unless anyone can give me a reason why not to try them. $7/case is not a reason!

8. scooterj

scooterj XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Over 50,000 Montana Gold bullets down my barrels, so far. Have loaded and shot 124gr JHP in 9mm and 38Super, 180gr JHP in 40S&W, and recently tried their 55gr 223 bullets. IMHO you won't find a better bullet at a better price for Action Pistol competition and the 223s get me sub MOA from 2 different AR15s.

9. Edubya

Edubya XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nothing wrong with MG JHP except they are no better than the CMJ or FMJ, they did not expand going through six gallon jugs. If your gun is more accurate with a hollow point they will be worth every penny difference!

10. xd_john

xd_john XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we only reload montana golds right now.

we've also used speer, hornady, berrys, and precision (lead)....

all have worked well so far. the montana golds seem decent for the money.

11. redyak3

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. MG emailed me saying that their bullets would work with the reload recipes from other manufactures. I'd use the MGs for my IDPA and USPSA matches. Their prices/quality seem like a good deal.

12. panther308

panther308 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on Precision Delta, call them first to see if they have them in stock if not you go on a list for when they do there production run

13. redyak3

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just ordered the MG 115gr JHP. They answered all my questions promptly. The prices they have listed includes shipping, even out here to Hawaii. At 93.00/1k + 5.00 to a residential address, that's about twice as many bullets for roughly the same amount of cash. I got 600 115gr HP-XTPs from Hornady coming in for buying their press kit and dies interesting to see the comparison.

14. Jeffs_Dad

Jeffs_Dad XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    redyak3, don't do what I did. I just got all my reloading gear in from different web-sites.....just to find that I haven't got a place to set it up.

Finding something suitable for a reloading bench is tough to find in Northwest Fl. jp:oops:

15. mhillsing23

mhillsing23 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    ^ Build a bench. It doesn't take much!