miss feeds in XD .45 with 230 gr. hollow points

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by ballistics, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ballistics

ballistics XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my XD .45 ACP 4", would a 230 gr. hollow point with a larger diameter cavity and sharper edges around the cavities edge tend to miss feed more than a 230 gr. hollow point with a smaller diameter cavity and more rounded edges around the cavities edge?

2. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    I would bet that the XD would handle it. I use the ZERO 230 gr. JHP in my XDm that has what you would probably consider the smaller cavity. The largest cavity 230 gr. JHP that I can think of would be SIERRA's but I bet it would feed just fine. Which large cavity 230 gr. JHP are you using? ;)

3. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    YEs, more info would help. My XDTAC & XD45C both shoot any JHP i have tried so far. That would be any RGS, any GoldDot, including the 230grSB, any XTP, the HST, PMC, Hydrashok, the WWB 230grJHP, as well as several all lead cast HP. All run 100%. Try diff mags, make sure it's not a mag problem. The weak point of any semiauto & unfortunately, XD mags can be hit or miss.

4. ballistics

ballistics XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been using the Gold Dot 230 gr. with no miss feeds. I tried one box of 50 rounds of Federal HST 230 gr., which has a larger diameter cavity hollow point with sharper edges around the hollow point, and had one miss feed in 50 rounds. That caused me to loose confidence in that round. I'm going to try another 50 rounds of the HST and see what happens but one miss feed is all it takes if it happens at the wrong time. Am I expecting too much?

5. The Knight Of Light

The Knight Of Light XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    So you are talking about factory ammo and not handloaded ammo? That is just ammo choice for Factory ammo. You will just have to try different brands/types to find out what works.

6. fredj338

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, one round is one round, certainly would get me to test it again. Me, I am good if the ammo will feed 100% for a full mag, each carry mag. One round FT feed can happen w/ the best gun & ammo. Shooter can induce FT feeds, dirty gun, bad mag, lots of things that are not ammo related.

7. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Still... Gold Dots are amoung the best performing hollowpoints extant. If your gun feeds them reliably, you should not feel unarmed using them. I know, I know... you want your gun to shoot ANYTHING. Truthfully, most guns will hiccup on something when it is at the ragged edge of the design, most times resulting (like Fred said) from some anamoly of the shooter or condition of the weapon system. Choice is a wonderful thing. We are awash with some pretty good choices in handgun bullets. Choosing one that works for you after some testing is a good thing!

8. Nebraska12

Nebraska12 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agree with this on several fronts, well said. I too use Gold Dots. Also found that Federal HSTs work well for me. Lots of good choices out there though. Find what works best for you and yours.

9. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    A good example as to the futility of asking "What SD ammo feeds reliably in you all's XD?" What feeds good in one doesn't mean it will feed in another. That's why I say test the ammo YOUR gun if it feeds reliably and shoots accurate then your good to go.

10. ballistics

ballistics XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, yesterday I ran another 50 rounds of Federal HST 230 gr. .45 ACP through my XD and 50 rounds of Gold Dot in same weight. Once again I had not just one miss feed but TWO with the HST. None with the Gold Dot. No more HST for me.

11. fredj338

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That is a high enough number to get me to not use them either. It's why we test, regardless of what other tell you works for the.

12. ballistics

ballistics XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for everyone's advice! It was a great help. I am going to try the Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. .45 ACP in some back yard ballistics tests but from some things I've read, by Dr. Gary Roberts for one, there may be some expansion issues with this round in certain media commonly used for testing expansion and penetration. I don't think it will take the place of the dependable Gold Dot for me. Thanks again!:D

13. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    As to the Zero HP bullets... If you stand them on a bench next to an XTP bullet, they look to be identical. Doubtless the Zero will not expand like the XTP as they are a practice bullet, but the XTP has a very good record for use in defensive situations. So, if pressed and out of Gold Dots, I would not hesitate to use XTP's in any caliber available to me as carry ammo. I would think they would feed just fine in almost any gun. To the best of my knowledge, the XTP's are not bonded though (that is, the lead core is not "welded" to the jacket) and so shooting through barriers is more likely to result in core seperation than with a Gold Dot which are now mostly bonded bullets. I say more likely, but in truth, XTP's still fare well in testing even through a lot of barriers.