MEC 650 for shotshell reloading ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by redyak3, Oct 25, 2008.

1. redyak3

redyak3 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Now that I got the metallic reloading going...
    I picked up a used 650 from ebay and was wondering if any of you out there use them, and how you like them.

2. Hank Ellis

Hank Ellis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Haven't used the 650 but my first press was a MEC 8567 Grabber then upgraded to a MEC 9000G which is a Grabber with auto-indexing. Got both used.

Basically the 650 is the Grabber without the resizing function. Unless you're running high brass/high power loads I don't think resizing is really necessary.

The cool thing about shotshell reloading is that there is no load development. Pick your components then match it up to the reloading data or pick the load based on a certain criteria and buy the components listed in the data. I chose the latter route based on max pressure (9000 to just over 10000 psi) and to a lessor degree on wad performance (Remingtons and clones open just a bit faster than Winchester).

MEC reloaders are known for good bang for the buck presses. Unless you go with a Possness Warren or a Spolar you won't get higher performance. Check the prices on those and unless you're a really hard core shotgunner you can't justify it.

On hulls pick one and stick with it. The press must be adjusted for each hull and it's just too much of a PIA to switch from one to another. I'm a Win AA guy only because I can get them by the bucketfulls for nothing at the trap range. If I had my druthers I'd use Remington STS but not a whole lot of people shoot them locally.

Since you're already doing metallic reloading you'll have the basics of shotshell reloading down very quickly.

One question however. Shot is the big expense in shotshell reloading. Since you're on the Big Island have you thought through on how you're going to get your shot? Shipping is the killer. I order it in 1,000 pound lots and usually the company will pick up shipping and knock a bit off on the price per bag. But that's what happens here on the Mainland.

3. redyak3

redyak3 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for the reply Hank,
    I was wondering if I should get a resizer. I'll be going with the STS hulls, Rem 209P primer, Rem figure 8 wad and 17 gns Alliant e3 powder, from the Lyman Shotshell Handbook. I was given a 25lb bag of 7-1/2 West Coast Premium Magnum shot. I've gotta ask around to see the best way other reloaders get their shot.
    I've heard good things about MEC, looks like fun !

4. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    +1 on Hank's post. I had a 650 for a while when I was reloading for sporting clays/skeet all the time. It was a great setup, easy to use and produced very consistent results. I couldn't agree with you more on sticking with one and ONLY ONE brand/type of hulls. I started with Win AA's because my local club was overrun with them and they were essentially free to the takers. I then got turned on to the STS hulls which I liked better, but the supply/cost of STS hulls vs. the the same with the AA hulls...well, you can do the math. It was my experience that the STS hulls were stronger and good for more reloads than the AA hulls.

5. Hank Ellis

Hank Ellis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    From the Alliant website going with 16.5 gr of e3 will get you 1145 fps with a reasonable 9930 psi. The 3 dram load 17.5 gr at 1200 fps is a bit on the high side of 10775 psi. I'd go with something else if you want to run a 3 dram load.

FWIW: My current loads are Win AA hull, Cheddite primer, Claybuster clone of Rem Fig-8 wad, and 1.125 oz shot. 18.5 gr International Clays for 1145 fps at 9200 psi. 19.7 gr International Clays for 1200 fps at a bit stiff 10500 psi.

Shortly I'll be loading 1 oz loads for trap singles and skeet. Will use regular Clays for that. Backing off the 3 dram loads for handicap and sporting clays. The extra speed isn't needed and the extra hammering the shooter gets shows up as fatigue around the 3rd and 4th box. Additionally if I miss, having 3 oz of shot wouldn't break the bird. So back off to 1 oz, save a bit on reloading, get a somewhat better pattern, and don't get beat up as much.

Yup. STS hulls are the top shelf hulls for reloading. The red AA hulls have a habit of getting small splits at the crimp. Even once fired hulls can have a small hole at crimp. Kinda sux to shoot a box of factory AA and toss a third of them for splits. I probably toss hulls before most people but since all I have to do get more hulls is walk the line with a bucket and shortly the bucket is full. If a AA hull can make it past the 2nd fire they will tend to make it for quite a while. Eventually the fold at the crimp (the star part that rides next to the shot) will start to tear. By then the hull is so gross that you are embarrased to use it.

Anyhow. Good luck. Once you start to reload shotshells, another world of possibilities opens up for tailoring your loads to what clay frisbee you want to shoot.