Springfield XD Forum banner

Marlin Model 75 .22LR Restoration Project

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I obtained three firearms from a guy for $150.00 total. Two were .410 single shots and one was this Marlin/Glenfield Model 75 semi auto rifle.

These were his kids truck guns and two were pretty rough. One of the .410 shotguns was in really great condition and has already been sold.

This little .22 rifle was also fairly rough, had some action issues and some barrel rust.

After stripping the stock and adding a hand rubbed boiled linseed oil finish I took the barrel down to white metal and used Brownell's Dicropan to re-blue the barrel.

I bead blasted the aluminum receiver, trigger guard and front sight. I finished all the aluminum in Duplicolor Wheel Coating in gun metal grey.

The internals of the action were cleaned immaculately and some polishing of the pieces and the bolt itself. Replaced any missing clips and pins.

I added stainless steel hardware screws and some sling swivel points.

This rifle is potentially sold this week.

See less See more
#2 ·
INCREDIBLE!

Why does that thing remind me of the Marlin 60? Maybe the predecessor?

It seems that it has a very short tube magazine..I wonder if it could possibly take the longer tube magazine of the Model 60?

Anyway...that thing is NICE...but I'm not incredibly hot on the "blonde" wood, to me it seems the wood should be darker, maybe a American Walnut color...but that's just personal preference.

Good job!

Found this info for you if it helps
Generally speaking..Marlin uses(used) the Glenfield designation on the stripped down lower price versions of a firearm. However, not all have a higher grade version, a few were only made with the Glenfield name..........mainly, the differences were in wood..Marlins used walnut..Glenfield used birch..also manufacturers would salvage parts...like they had a bunch of barrels that were chambered to deep or the muzzle was damaged..they would salvage these by using them on an economy version with a shorter barrel...ditto on magazine tubes...most such guns were sold thru chain stores that wanted a cheaper gun but with a known name...but didn't want to pay to have their name stamped on the guns. Examples: In our hosts paper catalog..there is the NEW MODEL 60 listing which also covers the models 99C...990 & 60W plus the Glenfield OLD model 60 and deeper into the catalog you will find the Marlin Model 99M1 which is also the listing for the model Glenfield Models M75 and the M75C This listing also shows a magazine tube designated to model by date of manufacture..ie magazine tube assy-produced prior to June 1975 the major difference in such parts is how they match up with the hanger on the underside of the barrel..bear in mind that the ordering instructions suggest that you include the serial number of your gun. If you take a stroll thru the Marlin .22 autoloaders..you will see that the reciever and its parts cross model lines extentsively. If your main concern is installing a longer magazine tube to get a greater cartridge capacity..Yes you can do it..it has to be done as an assembly as the internal magzine parts differ...it may even end up being a mix and match thing...and..it will be an exercise in gunsmithing..You will likey have to make changes to the underside of the barrel to match the mag tube cross pin slots it is also possible that the additional pressure exerted by the longer mag tube spring when fully loaded may compromise the cartridge stops and the parts tht activate the feeding cycle..Chances are..it will not be a straight swap thing and a helluva a price to pay for a couple extra rounds.......
And here!
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/123066-glenfield-75-same-marlin-model-60-a.html

This is probably the resource you should turn to for all your Marlin 75 needs!
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217

#3 ·
INCREDIBLE!

Why does that thing remind me of the Marlin 60? Maybe the predecessor?

It seems that it has a very short tube magazine..I wonder if it could possibly take the longer tube magazine of the Model 60?

Anyway...that thing is NICE...but I'm not incredibly hot on the "blonde" wood, to me it seems the wood should be darker, maybe a American Walnut color...but that's just personal preference.

Good job!
Thank you! This was my first "in depth" type of refinish. Took my time and tried to do it well.

The Model 75 is almost identical to the 60 and I also have one of that model that will get similar treatment.

The Model 75 does have a short mag tube and I have a long tube on the Model 60 but I never tried to retro fit it. If the locator pin is in the same position I think it would swap out.

I kept this one original as it looks like a carbine type rifle. I also like the lighter blonde color but I did want it a bit darker. I just didn't have time to get enough coats on it to darken it more. Boiled linseed oil finishes will also darken with time so it will probably change without needing any more color added.

It is sold (pending funds) so I need to let the stock finish drying out just a bit as the linseed oil can bleed out.

#4 ·
Looks great!

I have restored several older 22s and they are great shooters that are totally worth owning. One is a Remington 511 bolt gun that has a Bushnell 3x9x32 scope and that thing can knock empty 12 gauge hulls off fenceposts at 50yds all day long.

The only automatic that I have restored is a 1960s made Remington 550, but it too is very accurate.

Enjoy that Marlin...they are known to be pretty accurate.

I love old 22 rifles....they are the cat's a s s! LOL

-brickboy240

#5 ·
I call this Glenfield 75 (manufactured in 1969) rifle Jim Nelson, because that's what was (and still is) carved into its bottom when I bought it 2 years ago for $125 dollars. Thought the custom woodwork seemed worth it, even though it was scuffed up a little, the bluing was destroyed, and the iron sights were off. Turned out to be a tiny beast. It consistently pulls sub-MOA groups with this $60 little 3-9x scope I took off my crappy, broken Mossberg Plinkster (those rifles can burn in hell where they belong). I'm talking under an inch at 100 yards on a windless day. On my honor. Figure if I ever re-finished, and re-blued it, it might actually be worth a good chunk of change. Not that I would part with it, too many good memories now. Any way just wanted to show it off.

Edit: BTW this appears to be custom woodwork, as I have never been able to find another like it through research, or questioning firearm afficianados. Also I just noticed that the crown on mine seems quite recessed when compared to pictures of others (only about 1/3 as long after the front iron sight), including the one in this thread. Does anyone know if a custom crown could attribute to that kind of accuracy? Can you do better than a factory crown? I'm kind of a yuppie in this particular area.

Attachments

#6 ·
It is possible that someone buggered up the crown and had a smith re-crown it in a recessed manner. That way, any knocking around in the future would not ding the crown and ruin its accuracy.

Nice old 22s....I love old 22s.

I see lots of those Glenfields in pawn shops...maybe I ought to pick one up. The ones I have shot were very good shooters. Admittedly....I am spoiled with my Remington 550 semi-auto tube feeder.

-brickboy240

#7 ·
I see lots of those Glenfields in pawn shops...maybe I ought to pick one up. The ones I have shot were very good shooters. Admittedly....I am spoiled with my Remington 550 semi-auto tube feeder.

-brickboy240
Absolutely pick up as many as you can find at a pawn shop if the price is right. Until recently, they were $100 or less and even sometimes included a cheap scope.

Parts alone are sold on eBay for as much as the entire rifle can be purchased.

#9 ·
I actually prefer the old marlin glenfields. They just dont make them like that anymore!
I have an old marlin glenfield 25 that looks like its been through hell and back and it is a tack driver! and one of the few rifles that I own that are magazine fed and feeds .22 shorts! Think I paid about 50 bucks for it. it is my quintessential hunting 22. the 10/22s stay in the cabinet (most of the time).

#11 ·
I still see decent Model 60s in pawn shops for about 100-150 bucks. Cash can take most home for 100-125....my guess.

Yeah that Model 75 seems to be a short magazine Model 60.

I might pick one up since I do not have a Marlin auto loader. Currently, I have 3 old Remington bolt actions, a Remington 550 semi-auto and a Winchester Model 62 pump. All pawn shop rescues and all very accurate shooters.

-brickboy240

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.