Marines close-quarter combat manual... or special forces hand to hand.. pdf?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Amber, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Amber

Amber XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Hello all.

Are there any marines or special forces or Navy Seals here?

I am asking out of curiosity.
    Also does anyone have the U.S Marines close-quarter combat manual in pdf form? I have been thinking alot about learning soem kind of self-defence art but dont wanna fall vitim to the fake ones... i just wante dto learn some stuff from the real deal you know.. so i thought i;d ask here. Though i know i cant learn alot from just a book but atleast some of that stuff i could learn with alot of practice... i didi learn osme things from one of my friends brother who was in the maries but tahst was many years ago. I still know some of the locks he taught us both.

Anyway i just thought i'd ask.

Ya'all take care of yourselves.

Amber

2. BobbydaCrab

BobbydaCrab XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a PDF of the USMC Martial Arts handbook. Is that what you're looking for?

3. rufireproof

rufireproof XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You will have a very hard time learning HtH in a book. It is impossible to capture even the simplest techniques in pictures. Any technique is a fluid motion. A static picture can not convey all the subtle movements. You also need a partner for most techniques. The only way you are going to learn is to study under someone knowledgeable. Visit all the dojo's in your area, and see which one fits you. Each art is different. Each art has different strengths and weaknesses. If you truly want self defense, look for a dojo that does less tournaments and more "practical" self defense. Not saying you can't use Tae Kwon Do to protect yourself, but many of their modern kata's are designed to be safely used in a tournament setting without causing injury. I could write a book about picking a dojo, but I'll keep it short. The list below is based on my personal experience and is by no means comprehensive, nor is it intended to be a put down to any one. It represents the dojo's in my area.

Tae Kwon Do: + readily availible in most areas. very popular. lots of kicks and punches . - Can be geared towards tounaments. limited weapons training. May discourage firearms.
    Karate: + also popular. Many kicks and hand strikes. - limited weapons training.
    Akido: good blend of strikes and holds. Teaches some weapons use. -may not be available close to you. can get somewhat mystical. You can see examples of this in steven segal movies, but don't let that scare you away. :)
    Kung Fu: + many strikes. Great way to get in shape. - can be very mystical can be hard on the body. Bruce Lee's art before he developed his own.
    Ninjutsu: + blend of Strikes and holds. Extensive weapons training including firearms. -can be somewhat mystical. Dojo's may be hard to find. Finding authentic dojos can be even harder. Similar to Akido in style. Look for one that is part of the Bujinkan system.

I studied ninjutsu before I had to direct my money towards family. Obviously, that's the one I know most about. I have never seen a movie with authentic ninjutsu. When I was training, most trainees preferred the term shinobi to ninja, due to hollywood.
    Good luck.

4. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 2
    Amber, you appear to be aware of the limitations of learning such techniques from a manual. In my opinion, the only value manuals like the ones you describe have is for review by those who have already had, or are currently taking, live instruction. Learning self defense from a manual is much like trying to learn to ride a bicycle or learn how to swim by reading about it. As a former martial arts instructor (Shaolin) I strongly encourage you to find an experienced and qualified instructor in your area. I admire your determination to learn these skills and wish you well in your quest.

5. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I personally enjoy Muay Thai, which is mostly striking (hands, knees, feet, elbows) and clinching (someone's arms wrapped around you while facing eachother, and your arms wrapped around them) and phenomenal conditioning. Muay Thai is not the same thing as kickboxing. I'm looking for a good Krav Maga school around here. Check out bullshido.net for some school reviews around the country. Ideally what you do will give you some experience w/ stand-up and some ground game; the difference is that for a self-defense mindset one shouldn't worry about how badly they can mess someone up but how they quickly they can get away from the situation. Don't try to stay there and slug it out with them if you don't need to.
    If I were you I'd check out youtube and google "MCMAP" or "Marine Corps Martial Arts Program" and see what they have available. The wrist locks are nice and can be practiced at a slow pace w/o risk for injury.
    Also, I am unsure if you can access this without a CAC card (issued by govt to military and employees) but here is the MCMAP Martial Arts Center of Excellence website:
    http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mace/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. tmac5454

tmac5454 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check out the Russian Martial Art of Systema as taught by Vladimir Vasiliev. Many are skeptical of it at first, but let me tell you: It's the real deal. There are no techniques to memorize, only a few general principles off of which everything is built.

7. RangerMed

RangerMed XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depending on where you are, you should look for a Ryu Te school. Awesome self defense, joint locks pressure points, excellent technique. Not a quick fix school though. This art is comprehensive so it wont be a two week course, but the knowledge is invaluable!

8. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get a gun.

Not to be sexist but women just aren't strong enough for hand combat. Besides that it would take years to become proficient at it, and even then it's worthless because of the aforementioned strength issue. I got to a very high level of training in Marine Corps h2h and even though you can use an oponent's mass against them you still need strength to get them moving.

I'm a 240 lb gym rat and not to be arrogant but only a bullet from a gun could stop me if I got after someone half my size which the average woman is. Not that I would because that's just gross but please don't get a false feeling of safety around some pos out there.

There are a few strikes that require little strength like an eye gouge or cupped hand strike on both ears but they require you to be very close and precise.

9. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    While I agree, if you've got your hands on her already, the gun may not do much good.

10. UofHdevildog

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is true, if you're pinned that bad the only thing that's saving you is repeated headbutts and eye gouges. You don't need to waste money on schools to teach those pre-school easy but effective moves.

11. Towjam

Towjam XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look into Krav Maga. It is the real deal and is geared toward the real world. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGAE99qawps]YouTube - self defense Krav Maga Full Contact 2009[/ame]

12. Amber

Amber XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yea sure i'd love to see it.. Do u think you could email it to me?

Thank you Sir i totally agree with you. I know things like martial arts / self defence cant be learn lik ethat through a book. I have had very little training in tae kwan do and some other techniques so i just thought maybe i could learn a thing or two. Thank you ofr ur detiled answer :)

Thank you. Maybe someday i could learn something from you. Thanks :)

I'll do that, thanks fro the help and the link

Yes i have heard aout it but i dont think they teach that in dojos here. I think its strictly for the military.

I have two. But i;d rather not depend on a gun in a situation where my life or the lives of my loved ones are in danger. Its always good to be able to take care of yourself without depending on any weapons.

Thats the reason.

I thank each and every single one of you for your detailed, sincere and experienced advice. Thansk you all so much. I really appreciate it alot.

Ya'all take cre of yourselves.

*hugz*

Amber

13. BobbydaCrab

BobbydaCrab XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure. I'll send the PDF out soon.

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure what being a gym rat has to do with anything. We may interpret the term differently, but most "gym rats" that I've come into contact with had very poor technique, were generally not very flexible and tended to move slowly and leave themselves open to all kinds of things that stopped them.

On the other hand, if you're 240 lbs, well-conditioned and your gym is a Brazilian Jujitsu gym, that's another proposition entirely. :D

I'm all for a woman leaning how to defend herself with what she was born with ... starting with her brain. After that, my recommendation would be more along the lines of specific self-defense techniques as opposed to anything like what I've seen taught as "disciplines" in the strip mall martial arts schools.

15. obieone

obieone XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If size mattered, then the SEALS would have a size/ height requirement. And they DON'T!:rolleyes:

Good luck, and stay safe.

16. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 2
    Several years ago I witnessed my 150-pound martial arts instructor defend himself against a 300-pound "gym rat". He handed that guy's a** to him in a basket! :)

17. UofHdevildog

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not talking about technique. If she comes across someone who's very strong then all the punches and kicks aren't going to do a damn thing because they simply won't work.

18. UofHdevildog

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Ok then a 150 lb. man could easily subdue a woman which opens up more possibilities. Smart ass response kind of back fired on you didn't it? I was only referring to myself.

19. UofHdevildog

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wasn't a woman wasn't it?:rolleyes:

20. UofHdevildog

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm all for women defending themselves too, but I'm not going to spout any delusions. It's scientific fact that women are a lot weaker than men. It's not sexism, it's biology. I was only using myself as an example, an extreme one at that. An average size man unfortunatly has plenty of strength to overtake women.

And I'm not offended one bit by the perception of being a slow moving ogre. I get it all the time. It really is surprising to people when I'm playing sports and sprint past them or juke them.:D I can still run 3 miles in about 21 minutes too. I'm definatly not as fast striking as when i was about 20 lbs. lighter but I can still swing pretty fast.