Magpul'ed Out the WASR-10!

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by AirForceAce357, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +658 / 2
    I used some of my Christmas bonus to upgrade my WASR-10 to the Magpul MOE stock and handguard. I had a polymer K-VAR Bulgarian NATO length stock and handguard in OD green on it before. The K-VAR stock was okay, but I realized I didn't like the NATO length of pull as much as I thought I would, plus I wanted the ability to mount a flashlight and QD sling points onto this rifle. I love Magpul stuff so it seemed like a natural fit.

Installed the stock, handguard, a MLOK front QD mount, and a hardware kit for the stock for a rear stock point. The handguard installed easily, but was a pretty snug fit. The gas tube cover was a problem though. After I installed the Magpul cover on the tube and tried to close the gas tube lever, it wouldn't quite close. The tab that locks over the hood of the gas tube couldn't quite clear the tube, and it seemed the tube sat "higher" in the Magpul cover it did in the KVAR cover. I may have to take a dremel tool to the bottom of the gas tube cover to allow it to sit lower on top of the handguard and make it clear, but for now I left the KVAR tube cover on it.

The stock also was a bit tricky to install. Everything was going well until I went to tighten the rear of the two tang screws supplied by Magpul. The screw was too short and couldn't reach the threads! Apparently this is a problem others have had mounting this stock to WASRs. I was going to go to a hardware store and find a screw that would work, but I remembered I had extra screws from the rear sling mount kit. They include different length screws so the kits can be mounted to a variety of Magpul stocks, so I took one of the shorter ones and it fit into the rear tang screw slot perfectly! Problem solved but Magpul should include a longer screw with the stock for those who own WASRs or other guns that may require it.

Having said all that, I REALLY like this furniture! The stock has a more comfortable, more compact length of pull (in between Warsaw Pact and NATO length), the rubber buttpad is more comfortable and holds into the shoulder better than metal one on normal AKs, and it keeps the rifle lightweight and overall very comfortable. The handguard is similar to the MOE handguard on my AR-15 and has MLOK slots that allow me to mount a flashlight on it (which I plan to do) and a front QD sling mount (which I did). This way I can use my Vicker's sling with QD mounts rather than feeding it through the footman's loops I had to use before.

This furniture has done a lot to make this AK more into the ideal fighting rifle I want it to be! All I have left is an Ultimak gas tube rail and a red dot, but that's for another time. But the MOE furniture is great just like we've come to expect from Magpul and I recommend it for an AK!

And now for the all-important pics. Here's the rifle with the KVAR furniture it had on before

[​IMG]

And now with the Magpul furniture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Jan 6, 2017 #2
    minimum_freebore

minimum_freebore XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 49
    What's the length on that NATO stock? Wanna sell it? They high$ though, huh?

My folder stock on my slr106c is just about 2" to short for comfortable scope use. I really like that Magpul furniture too. Especially the hand guard. Nice grab.

3. Feb 23, 2017 #3
    Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 202
    I'm not the biggest "MP" fan... but that looks amazing and the furniture looks perfect-- congrats on nice stick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Feb 23, 2017 #4
    AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +658 / 2
    Thanks. Yea I like the look, but also the LOP is perfect and the rubber buttpad makes it lock into the shoulder more. The ability to mount small bits of rail for just what I need accessory-wise (light and sling) also made it appealing especially for the relatively reasonable price.

Not perfect for sure but it's functional and does the job well, at least for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Apr 20, 2017 #5
    xdkid

xdkid XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 1
    Looks just like mine OP except I went with plum furniture. Good looking rifle.

• Like Like x 1