Magpul MS3 vs MS3 QD?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by benhar, Apr 29, 2013.

1. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Alright, I need a little help/educating. It's time for me to order a sling for my AR. I'm pretty set on an MS3 because it seems to be a solid and versatile sling. And since I have the CTR stock, I was thinking to go ahead and get the QD version.

Since this is my first AR, I don't yet have much opinion on how/where I'd prefer to mount a sling. Is there any reason why I should consider the standard MS3 instead?

I really do like the idea of the QD, as long as it's as secure as people say.

2. Hawkeye337

Hawkeye337 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    do you have an ASAP or RSA? Because those are made specifically for the MS3

Also, what type of sling are you looking at running: one-point, two-point, three-point, or combination sling?

3. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have neither. Just two front sling mount points that came on my Stag (under and to side of the sight), and the QD point on my CTR stock. That's one reason I'm leaning towards the QD.

I'm assuming I'll mostly use two point, though I like the fact that the MS3 can do one point. Whether or not that has any practical use for me is another story :)

4. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a QD on my UBR stock. The ONLY reason i use it is I can't put an ASAP or SLAP plate on with the UBR stock there. I STRONGLY dislike the QD swivels. Why? Because they swivel lol. I prefer a fixed point, such as a SLAP plate. (even the ring on the ASAP bothered me).
    Now, this is only my personal opinion. Many people like QD and swear by it. I avoid it when I can.....
    Also, I find the QD button can be difficult to consistently and easily push. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't, it seems like the swivel is running away from you and playing tag.....
    Bold and underline added because I feel like I could get flamed for talking down about the QD that many people hold in such high regard....

5. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 13
    MS4 is already out might wanna check it out

6. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There's an MS4 out? Well dang, I missed that. I'll probably stick with the MS3 anyway, since I have the two rings on the front but no front QD points.

mhen, that's actually the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Though I'm not sure if the swivel will bother me as long as it's secure.

How much does the ergonomics/usability change between mounting on the back and side of the stock at the QD point, vs in front of the stock with an ASAP? I think the cost of an ASAP plus standard MS3 will be the same as an MS3 QD.

7. mbquimby

mbquimby XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 2
    I can only speak to my experience with the MS3 because I use one for work/play/hog hunting. I actually have grown to like it a lot, which means something considering that I pretty much hate all slings. Most slings have one great attribute and one great flaw. Without getting into long winded tactical scenarios that highlight these common flaws, I will simply say that the MS3 does its job well and is as versatile as you could want a 1 point/2 point sling. I stay away from 3 point slings because you never know what side of the door you will be stacked on- oops, there I go with the scenarios ;)

*Sent from my Galaxy S3 cause pirate-zombie-ninjas ate my computer.

8. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, do you have the standard or QD?

9. WantBigBoom

WantBigBoom XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've noticed the same thing with a lot of QD's. Then I started using the Damage Industries round swivel QD's with my MS3, and it doesn't twist up on me at all, very easy to disconnect, but the button is protected against accidental release.

Everybody has preferences, that's why there's so many options and more companies popping up all the time.

I like my MS3, quick transition from 1-2 point. The adjustment pull is backwards for quick tightening while you're wearing it, but it's very quick to loosen with a deliberate pull, and it's easy to tighten up for prone sling shooting.

Just in case you didn't know:

MS3- 2 quick clips
    MS3 QD- Primary connection is QD, midpoint connection is quick clip
    MS4 - 2 QD's, with a new mid-plate for QD connection

10. TheXDude

TheXDude XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's funny because I basically made one out of an MS3 - added QD on the front and added QD Triglide to the rear.

If you want QD in the front, IWC makes a slick little low-pro rotation-limited QD mount which can be installed on MOE hand guards (and 'standard' style hand guards as well, I think).

If you don't like the QDs swiveling all over the place, just go rotation-limited.

Personally, I don't care for the rear mount on the telescoping stock - the sling length changes every time you move the stock. I went with QD rear receiver plate by Noveske.

11. mbquimby

mbquimby XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 2
    Standard

*Sent from my Galaxy S3 cause pirate-zombie-ninjas ate my computer.

12. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My UBR has two QD points, one right at the receiver (where I had the ASAP before I changed the stock) and one at the rear of the stock. The receiver point is nice for transitioning, and if you are actively using the rifle. The rear point is nice for if you are carrying the rifle for a while.

13. CopNa454Sierra

CopNa454Sierra XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Check out the BlueForceGear RED QD Swivel. Some guys at work run and love them.
    http://www.blueforcegear.com/redswivel/

14. nectarp

nectarp XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MS4 with QDs

15. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I decided to go ahead and take a chance on the MS3 QD. We'll see how it goes.