mag load while full with 1 chambered

Discussion in 'General Springfield XD/XD(M) Talk' started by kheine, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    kheine

kheine XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi! I could not find the answer to my problem on the old threads. I remember it was a topic of discussion back in 2008 or so! Several remedies were offered, but I am unable to find these again.
    My problem is with my XD9sc with either 13rd. or 16rd. mag. When I fully load the mag, and have 1 rd. chambered, I cannot seat the magazine. It is hitting something! I remember that something was said as to remedy the problem on the old forum. I just got around the problem by putting in one less round! I think this was a common problem on most XD's sold around that time. (2008) I am trying to find the fix for this. If anyone has any info, please let me know!
    Thanks.

2. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +9,348 / 234
    Your mag springs are still stiff.

Load & unload the magazine a few dozen times (either by hand, or unload it the fun way by putting lead downrange), and it should take care of itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    birda40

birda40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 0
    What Cuda said ^

4. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    kheine

kheine XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have put about over 1000 rounds down range with this gun and mag. Still have the problem.
    A thread from around the time I bought the gun said something about the mag or receiver being the problem. I thought I saved the info, but after several computers and several years gone by, I cannot find the fix. I was hoping someone on here would remember what the problem was and how to fix it. I will spend some time looking at my gun again and seeing if I can find out what is going on.

5. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 7
    Is there a difference with a round in the chamber, versus an empty chamber, but the slide forward (fully in-battery)?

My bet is that there is not - that this issue is one that's related to whether or not the slide is forward, right?

Kinda like a closed bolt reload on the AR? ;)

Give this a try -

Instead of a single forceful entry (i.e. "slam"), insert the mag, and once it reaches the end of its travel, as the base-plate nears the grip frame, "smash/"smush" the base-plate into the gun so that it latches. Combine the heel of your dominant hand with the heel of your magazine hand, focusing more on the downward motion with the former (work with gravity).

Often times, when the shooter "slams" the magazine home on a slide-forward reload such as a tactical reload - with a full-to-capacity double-stacker magazine - there can be significant resistance as the top round "bounces" off the part of the breech block that strips off another round: essentially, the at-capacity cartridge stack has compressed the spring so much that it's now exceedingly hard to further compress it.

This "smash/smush" should help seat and lock the magazine. It's like the bolt-forward load on an AR.

Alternatively, some shooters prefer to simply down-load their magazine to allow for a more certain slide-forward/tactical reload. Here in the following TAC-TV segment, the Triumvirate of Hackathorn, Vickers, and Harrington recommends the practice of down-loading of the double-stacked Glock magazine, for this very purpose:

The way I see it, taking the extra time to "smash/smush" that filled-to-capacity magazine home and to insure it locks in place is, as an administrative task, not really all that much to ask for. For me, it's worth taking that extra time and care top-off my gun as much as physically possible, so that I'll have that one more round, upon the draw.

That said, I also believe strongly that if it's hard(er) to achieve positive locking of the magazine on the slide-forward reload with a fully-loaded-to-capacity magazine, I'd then need to debate whether or not the tactical reload has more value to me - based on my usage/mission - versus how much I value that extra round (or even two).

Towards this end, I'll give a very concrete example.

After watching the above segment, I posed just this question to one of my favorite local instructors, who also happens to be active-LE. His reply was that when he's off-duty and is concealed-carrying, the Glock 17 mag he uses as a spare for his G19 is fully topped off. However, when he's on-duty and in-uniform, with access to at least three spare mags for his duty Glock, he down-loads each spare by one.

The reasoning for this seeming dichotomy is actually very logical.

With a limited amount of ammo on his person off-duty, he feels that one more round may just save his life and that there's an increased likelihood that he'd shoot to-slide-lock, emptying the resident mag in the gun, as he would likely be responding to an ambush (just as any of us average law-abiding citizens would).

On-duty, however, with considerably more ammunition on his person as well as a different mindset - and the increased likelihood of an engagement that lasts longer - the likelihood that he will want to "top off his gun during the fight" increases, and thus the certainty that comes with the increased ease of slide-forward reload makes considerably more sense.

Now, all that said......

Have you tried a new magazine? Maybe the mags that came with your early-make gun was problematic?

If newer magazines resolve the issue, you'll then want to compare your new mags with the old ones, to see if there are any noticeable physical differences, including the follower and the magazine spring.

Assuming the magazine is not the issue, check engagement of the magazine catch as well as the function and measurements on the slide-release button. Make sure that they're all doing what they're supposed to be doing, and that nothing is out-of-spec or out-of-whack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jan 10, 2017 #6
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2,801 / 19
    FWIW all the training I've ever encountered (15 years SF) (FLEO) has trained to carry mag capacity. If your mag holds 16 that's what's in your gun. 1 chambered and 15 in the magazine. Just like Larry Vickers describes in the above video.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jan 11, 2017 #7
    kheine

kheine XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for all the info! I will be going out to shoot this weekend. I will try your suggestions. I am using only the original mags that came with the gun. I have not bought any extra mags because of the high price for them.
    Thanks again for the info!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jan 11, 2017 #8
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 7
    ^ Yup - quality mags ain't cheap. But at least you don't own HK or need tuned 2011 mags. ;)

Think of mags like the tires or brakes on your car. You want the best, but they will eventually wear out.

Keep an eye out for sales, and buy when you can, particularly if this is your primary defensive weapon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jan 11, 2017 #9
    DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +3,715 / 30
    Like a rowdy woman, give it a firm slap on the but.

Then grab it right in the pussy.

If you're lucky, it won't **** the bed and just piss in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jan 15, 2017 at 5:09 AM #10
    Handyhiker

Handyhiker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I recently bought a used XDm 45 and had problems with the short mag. It was very hard to load the last round in the mag and then when i would insert it into the gun, the top bullet would hit the slide so hard that the slide would bind and the case of the bullet would dent. I eventually found the the spring in the mag was made wrong. These were factory mags. The spring, instead of being straight so as to stack into itself correctly, had a twist. This was right where the spring went from the large coils to the smaller coils. I rebent it and it now works great. I did buy some new factory mags and the spring was straight in them. I know we are talking about different guns, but it would be worth a look as it was a zero dollar fix.

• Like Like x 2