mac 10

Discussion in 'NFA Talk' started by meaty, Feb 19, 2010.

1. meaty

meaty XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    these can be had (legally) for around $4k. anyone have any experience with them? seems like a pretty good deal for a fully auto weapon.

2. MagicPie

MagicPie XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is properly a dozen websites that get into the details of the MAC. I've seen a bit of a price increase, but for the most part they are around $4K, some can even be bought NIB.

From my knowledge they can be a bit of a poor weapon if not upgraded, even the brand new ones due to age, need new buffers and prone to jamming. However a lot of people are replacing the upper, bringing the gun on par with a Uzi.

mtcraigco owns one with a Lage upper .
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/nfa-talk/144066-nfa-photo-thread-2.html

3. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I've shot a few rounds through one. My father had a MAC 10, during the 70's. The MAC was bought by the local sheriff's dept. and assigned to my dad. Can't imagine paying over a couple-hundred bucks for something like that. Very crude workmanship, heavy, not very accurate. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get over the novelty of spray and pray. :) Local sheriff's office owns the MAC that my dad had. Sheriff offered to give it to me about two elections ago, but backed out. He's concerned that the original sheriff who bought the piece didn't register it. I remember when the MAC was acquired, and it was registered; however, the current sheriff can't find the paperwork, so he's afraid of stirring up the BATFE. It'd be nice to get that old MAC back, particularly with the suppressor, a few mags, loader, and no transfer taxes. Only reason I'd want it would be due to nostalgia.

4. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    They are a completely different animal with the Lage upper

Not even in the same league anymore

They are VERY good FAs to get started on with a Lage or similar upper

Very controllable, reliable and accurate.

5. Polymerhead

Polymerhead XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Seems like now would be a good time to buy. Macs are going for the low $3Ks on gunbroker. Add the stamp and Lage upper and you're looking at around $4000.

Wish I had the cash. Would definitely be a good investment and a heck of a lot of fun.

6. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Meaty, there is a wealth of information over at uzitalk in the mac forums. There are some really knowlegable folks over there.

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

I bought an M10/9 from an estate sale last year for $2800 including the transfer tax.

Though note that I have spent more on the Lage upper, Practical Solutions 22 upper, and basically just personalizing it the way I want it.

With the economy the way it is, now is a buyers market for machineguns.

As for the issues noted above with the old original buffers, they're just a piece of rubber and can be replaced for about 2 bucks each and there are lots and lots of aftermarket accessories for them.

Here are a few key places of interest:
    LAGE Mfg. Products: M-11/9 M-11 M-10 M-10/9 M-10/45 Cobray SWD Powder Springs
    US Machinegun.com : Machine gun accessories of all types
    Practical Solutions (Powered by CubeCart)

Here is a link to the dealers website who handled the first part of the transfer to me and he has several NIB macs' to choose from for not much more than $3000. D&D Guns - NIB MAC 10'9's

Here is a couple of pics of mine:

With the Lage Slowfire upper before I refinished it

[​IMG]

After I refinished it with Moly/Teflon

[​IMG]

I also modified some old Suomi 36 round mags to work in it for a couple of reasons.
    #1. Their feedlips don't wear like the old zytel 32 rounders
    #2 They are made of a very high quality metal
    #3. They are doublestack mags and much easier to load

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some 50 round monster mags with a 36 rounder in there for comparison

[​IMG]

And my new toy for it, a Practical Solutions 22LR conversion kit

[​IMG]

And just for giggles, here's all 3 of my uppers

[​IMG]

For what it's worth, Mac's with Lage uppers have been giving the MP5 guys some serious competition lately. Most recently was the last Knob Creek subgun match (where a Mac took first ;) )

And I suppose you may want to watch some video's so you can see some of the differences the aftermarket uppers make:

Suppressed Mac 10/9 with a Lage slowfire upper

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzI3FwGVwWE"]YouTube - Max 10 Machine Gun[/ame]

And with the Practical Solutions 22 kit for when you feel like shooting a bullet hose economically :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOxm7EMadA"]YouTube - Practical Solutions 22 conversion kit[/ame]