M91/30 Russian Mosin Nagant Bolt action?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by silvernightmare, Nov 27, 2008.

1. silvernightmare

silvernightmare XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Big 5 is having a day after thanksgiving sale and they feature this rifle for $79.99. Is this a good deal? I know I would not shoot it much but for 80 bucks, is it worth it?:confused:
    oh yeah, it is 7.62x54.

2. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's not a bad price, Dunham's here has them for $10 cheaper tomorrow.

7.62x54r.net Firearm Buying Guide a good read to help with a better gun

They are cool shooters and ammo is cheap.... I have 4 right now in different variations

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  3. silvernightmare

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    There is no Dunham's here in AZ. I am probably going to buy this rifle just to add it to the collection. $10 cheaper does sound even sweeter though.

4. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 3
    That's a good price for a great rifle. You will definitely get your money's worth.

5. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    That's a pretty standard price. Most of the M-N's on the commercial market today are arsenal refinished, so whatever you get should be in pretty good shape. Check for numbers matching; if so, good for you. If not, it's not really a big deal. Many of the Mosins these days are "force-matched", where they take pieces and parts and build complete rifles out of them. Unless you're looking for collector value these shoot just as well as an original. Get the clerk to remove the trigger lock so you can pull the bolt and make sure the barrel's in good shape. These weren't chrome-lined, so the best you can hope for is good, distinct rifling, and no corrosion or pitting. You might want to have the headspace checked before shooting, but if the bolt closes smoothly on a round (not too hard, not to soft) you're probably okay. Also drop the stock and check the underside of the receiver just to be sure everything's there and in good shape. If you use lacquered ammo, be sure the chamber is squeaky clean, otherwise you might get sticky-bolt after a few rounds as the receiver heats up.

They're lots of fun for the money, and 54R is pretty cheap and widely available. Enjoy, and post pics. 8)

6. leper

leper XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It kicks a little. The 44 kicks a little more. I love mine. They do make a rubber baseplate to replace the steel one that comes on it

7. TeeJay

TeeJay XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    its a good price and definitely a good addition to any collection.
    i got my first 91/30 about 8 months ago for 89$ in pretty good shape, matching #'s. got another one last saturday for 99$ but its in even better shape than my first one. also in the pile of 91/30's was one i checked that on the trigger housing the original numbers were crossed out with a punch and new numbers put on. weird one.

im still looking for a good cheap m44 though.

8. AdventureMan83

AdventureMan83 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I collect these as well as other milsurps.

I believe these latest batches are from the Ukraine. To my knowledge, they were arsenal refurbished, then ground and restamped with matching #s...sometimes you can see a faint previous serial under on the buttplate or the magazine floorplate.

I think it is a great bargain simply because you get to handpick and inspect the rifle before you buy.

With online companies, I've seen as low as $49-$59 in the past (nowadays mainly $69) for a 91/30, but remember that you usually add in a handpick fee, or at least an additional fee for a Tula arsenal, or a hex receiver. Then shipping, ffl, etc., you're already talking about $120 or more.

It is an incredible deal when you can find the right one. What to look for:

1. DEFINITELY check the bores. Many are either worn or pitted. Its quite a find to see a shiny sharp mosin bore.

2. What date do you want? The hex receiver Mosins are to some more desirable, and consititute the early years up until about 1936, wherby they switched over to round receivers. Also most of the war year rifles 1942-1944 are usually the 'rougher' looking, but to some it adds historical significance as it was a sign of hurried production.

3. What arsenal? Most collectors find the Tula arsenal more desireable that the Izhevsk. Tula arsenal: Big star on the barrel/ Izhevsk arsenal: Triangle with an arrow.

There are some other cool features as well...I personally love looking to find a mosin with an older handguard with brass tips...it gives the rifle a classic look. Some have an old sniper stock that has a piece of wood spliced back in for the scope mount cutout. Also, if you open the bolt, and on the inside left side of the receiver you see two plugged screw holes, it means the rifle was a sniper at some point (PU version), and then was decomissioned and put back into regular infantry form - those are my favorite to find, and they are more common than you might think! One time I actually found a former PEM sniper dated 1939 - told my buddy and he bought it. Another way to confirm a sniper is that the snipers always had a smooth receiver (even in war years) and you may find the letters "CH" stamped on the barrel, or a scope serial # on the left side of the barrel near the woodline (sometimes lined out).

If you have several Big 5s to choose from...check them all. You may find a prize of a Mosin that really stands above the others.

You may actually find yourself liking it for a lot of reasons, some being a cheap rifle, cheap ammo (surplus), and the added perk of bring old history back to life. As milsurpers tend to say, if these old rifles could talk...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  9. silvernightmare

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Bought it. Now I need to decide if i want to refinish wood or leave it worn. Only reason I thought to refinish is because little chips of lacquer stick to my hands after I hold it. Sights are straight bolt is in good condition barrel looks dark but I am going to give it a good cleaning and see what it looks like then.

10. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good deal, surplus ammo is pretty cheap as well, just remember to clean it our really good right away since they use corrosive primers in surplus, Windex with Ammonia is the best stuff to use, just dump it through.... LOL then clean it and oil it really good like you normally would a rifle and she'll be fine

11. silvernightmare

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It has a star on the barrel and says 1943, so I guess it is a Tula Arsenal. I think it is in great condition. Barrel still has mirror shine and wood is still glossy. Here it is and let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]