M249 Saw

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by beitzel15, Apr 5, 2007.

1. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it possible for a civ. to own one of these in the US?

2. Broadside

Broadside XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At the last machine gun shoot here in Colorado one guy had one you could shoot. They are a ton of fun I remember when the Army first adopted them we put a lot of ammo down range then turned in our M60's:( . I liked the M60's but they were heavy. The M60's didn't have the rate of fire that the M249 does but they could reach out and touch someone. Nothing like the smell of a M60 on the 800 meter range in the morning. AAAAAAAAAAh

3. hardwarz

hardwarz XDTalk 100 Member

Ak-Rowdy, North side Summit County (Akron, OH)
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes... and no....
    Depends on where you live. There are SAWs out there that are legally transferable. Depending on where you live, local laws and state laws depends if you can get one. Some states are machine gun friendly. Some aren't.

There are some ways around getting the LEO signature on the ATF transfer form, but that's for another post.

hardwarz

4. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been in a lot of gunstores and to Gun Shows and I've never seen one or any other fully auto weapon really. Just old WW2 MG34's and .30 Cals and .50 Cals.

5. aiformula

aiformula XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    there are to my knowledge about 2 dozen SAW's and 2 GE mini-guns on the NFA register. compare that to a few hundred mg34's which are selling in the 20-30k range and adjust price accordingly for rarity.

6. hardwarz

hardwarz XDTalk 100 Member

Ak-Rowdy, North side Summit County (Akron, OH)
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just at the Summit County (Ohio) gun show and there was ONE SAW there. No price on it, only a sign that says, "We buy machine guns."

Hardwarz

7. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Join the Marines! ;)

8. Krypto

Krypto XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    or get your class 3 (read: allow gov't to watch you take a dump at any given hour of the day..) class 3 weapons permit is unbelievably expensive (as are the weapons this permit allows you to buy) and puts a bright red X where you are on the gov't radar..

9. Dibs50

Dibs50 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When one wishes to purchase a Class III weapon, they have to fill out the appropriate paperwork, send a copy to local LE Chief, send a check for $200 and wait a few months for approval. Once the paperwork is approved, then you can pay the exorbitant price for the actual weapon. On the low end is a Cobray M11-9 for about $3,500. On the high end is a SAW. I thought I saw one for sale on www.impactguns.com for $249k.

My point is this: The most expensive part of the process is the gun. The tax stamp for it is $200.

10. GaryXD

GaryXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I fired a civi owned 249 a couple of years ago. Last time I checked they were about $75000 though.

11. Preacher

Preacher Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Methinks he is describing becoming a class 3 dealer. Possibly. Maybe. I don't really know.

12. KP Ling

KP Ling XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds a little high, Impact Guns has three with the most expensive one going for $6,600. http://www.impactguns.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*0c15118a6703d5ca

The paratrooper version, rotating collapsible stock, is only $5365.03: http://www.impactguns.com/store/9348199-1.html

Some people are either getting ripped-off or adding extra zeroes to their price estimations.

13. WmBSmithII

WmBSmithII XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    first link isnt working for me but the 2nd is LEO only no Civilian transfers.

14. GaryXD

GaryXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly. The original poster asked for a civilian 249. That makes a BIG difference in price.

15. KP Ling

KP Ling XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe, Impact Guns like most Class III arms dealers, want to sell this to other Class III arms dealers or approved agencies so they do not have to mess with all the excessive paperwork that a non-licensed individual has to go through to get any Class III item.

I think they simply post that so they do not have to hold onto $6,000 or more worth of merchandise hoping that the person who wants it gets their request approved by the BATF and local law enforcement. After all, Impact Guns is neither the military nor law-enforcement, so how did they buy this thing if it is only for military or law-enforcement? They certainly did not manufacture it so they had to have bought it from someone or some agency which shows that a "LE/Military Only" weapon can be bought and sold among dealers without selling to non-gun business agencies. Most Class III dealers do this with anything on the National Firearms register controlled items list: full-auto parts, silencers, explosive projectiles, short barreled rifles; anyone can own these things it is just they have to pay special taxes and beg for permission to buy them whereas Class III dealers have paid their bribes up front to the govt. and gone through all the hassle of getting checked out already...so Class III dealers prefer to sell amongst themselves or approved agencies since there is no hold-up on the sale and no permission to be gotten.

Maybe only dealers can buy these but they do not have to sell them to anyone if they do not want, once in their possession. Someone could go through the hassle of getting a Class III license buy a LE/Military only firearm and then not sell it to anyone making it, in effect, a private piece.

I imagine that, in theory, it is perfectly legal for anyone of us to own one of these. Only, without the Class III license you have to fill out and pay request fees to try and get permission to buy it. No one has to give you that permission, they can simply say, "you have no business owning such a firearm," and that is that but if on the off-chance you got that permission and had convinced Impact Guns to hold onto a high priced piece of inventory for 6 months or more while you navigate the bureaucratic maze, then I truly think you can buy one of these guns. After all, the Military and LE buy direct or LE gets military hand me downs, so why would a dealer have one of these in the first place if it was "Military/LE only"? Also, what in the hell buiness does a police officer have needing one of these anymore than a regular individual if we are going to talk about practicality?