M223 Nikon 1-4x with pics

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Viddi212, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Viddi212

Viddi212 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I picked up the m223 1-4 power scope for a super cheap price at Primary Arms. It is mounted with ARMS tall rings with quick release. Finally got to take it to the range last weekend, thought I'd give a quick range report.

At 1x it was easy to have the rifle at low ready, bring it up with both eyes open and aquire the target. The thick reticle and the 3moa dot were really fast to use like a red dot. At 4x, nothing super special, just a 4x scope.

They eye relief is excellent. They said 4 inches, it is actually a little bit more. The flip lense covers are solid and they do come off if you don't want to use them. The focus knob is under the rear cover. If you spin the cover it can move the focus which was a nice feature. The adjustment knobs are 1/4moa and are marked. After sighting in you can pop the knobs up and move them to the 0 position another nice little feature.

I only got to shoot it indoors, so I had to ballistics chart the zero I wanted and see how low it would hit at the short indoor range and get a zero that way. Was around 1.75 inches low (dont feel like getting out the range book and looking up the exact mm) for a 50 yard zero.

Supported with elbows on the table and then with the rifle resting on my shooting bag it put rounds through the same hole with lake city ammo.

I'd definatly recommend the scope to anyone out there. The 1x handled great as a reflex site. The scope seems very sturdy and well made. Best of all it was designed for ar carbines. I personally like gear that was designed for a specific use than trying to force it to do something it isn't.

Once it gets warmer I'll have to post some real groups out at 100 and 200 yards and see how it goes.

Also, the scope just barely clears the magpul buis. By barely I mean I took a file to part of the magpul site and gave it a little work. After that it does clear, you can't really tell from the photos but you could slide a sheet of paper between the two..and that's about it, lol. Tight fit but it worked.

Was around $100 for the rings, $30 for the ring inserts and $160 for the scope. $290 total price...still cheaper than an acog ;P

Attached Files:

2. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My experience with Nikon products has been excellent. Great quality control and superior glass.

3. Viddi212

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea this is the first Nikon I've gotten. So far I am very impressed. Glass is very nice.

4. bashman

bashman XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you have a link for that scope on their site for that price?
    They are showing it for $230 right now.

5. Viddi212

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just check it myself and yup, 229 now. Still the best deal out there... looks like they caught on. lol.

6. bman940

bman940 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great to hear all your solid reasons for liking Nikon's 1-4 Point Blank Reticle.
    It is one of my favorites as well.
    If you go to Nikonhunting.com, you can click the Spot On logo, it will take you to a site that will elt you enter all your shooting data and give you the information that you need. For example shooting 50 yards and wanting a 100 yard zero, enter your ammo info and along with 50 target,zero 100 and hit fire.
    Say it's Winchester .223, 55 gr. FMJ, 3240 fps, you would need to shoot .28 inches low at 50 for a 100 yard zero. Try it, I think you'll be a fan.
    I look forward to hearing more when the weather warms up and you can really have some fun.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

7. bman940

bman940 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you check out Nikon's M-223 scope mount? Built for the AR platform and the M-223 scope line. All in one and you could have saved about $60.
    They have been flying off the shelves so they can be hard to find.

8. Viddi212

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, didn't look at mounts b/c I had already the ARMS quick rings that I was previously using for an old red dot. Thanks for the ballistics info, I'll have to check that out and see if it is easier than using the handloads website I normally do.

Good lookin out... how about getting me a job at Nikon too? :D

9. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just ordered one from Primary arms at $229. Lowest price on the web I could find currently and appears the current version has the distance markers on the elevation turret instead of the incremental marks. I think the change is the reason the "old stock" was discounted. The new, point blank reticle is now paired with marked adjustment for yardage compensation and once zero is set, you can "dial" other distances by the rapid turret as on the nikkoplex models in higher magnifications. I also think the changes don't effect the function much other than giving a bit more reference when changing distances.

This is replacing my Vorex Strikefire red/green dot which , while accurate and decent in many conditions , is really hard to see in bright sunlight. I would still use it in early morning or late, dusk conditions but at high noon IF you want one of these, get the red dot only which is said to be brighter. Just a heads up. I found myself using my absolute cowitnessed BUIS (Troys) in bright light and just turned the red dot off.

[​IMG]

10. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40AO mildot reticle placed on my Remington 700 .308. This post has convinced me to move my EOTech to my shotgun and purchase this for my SR556. Damn you.

11. Viddi212

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's interesting that they made some changes. That nikon website which was posted earlier in the thread is great btw. You put in your scope and your ammo and it can show you the impact points at the diff magnifications. Pretty damn cool.

Your sightlight issue was one thing that pushed me to get a different optic as well. Missed a coyote after I couldn't see one of my red dot reticles.

FYI. you'll have to change some of the setting like sight height when you first open the page.

12. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. Viddi212

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks mpdc. I have a lot of lake city around as well. Thatll help.

14. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, I need to correct something I misunderstood and mistakenly stated that Nikon had updated the M-223 1-4 Point Blank scope. The dial I was viewing in the illustrations on line is for a BDC 600 model of this scope they offer. My "Point Blank" version has the 1/4 MOA incriments as yours does Viddi212.

I love the scope, have sighted it in and it is a dream to shoot with.
    Sorry for creating the confusion. LOL, looks like you really got the deal of the year on yours! I am jealous but still glad I bought it. Only PA had it for even the 229 I paid, most list it at at least 279 and I sill think it is worth that.:D