M1A or FN FNAR

Discussion in 'M1A /M14 Talk' started by Zombie Hunter, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I’m looking to pick up a semi automatic .308 here in a few months and I thought I was all set on a Springfield Squad Scout but now I saw the FN FNAR and am having doubts.
    For comparison
    Similarities:
    They are both 7.62x51 semi automatic rifles with 20 round magazines and cost within about $100 of each other, most places I see the FN for a little cheaper than the M1A. (Magazines cost more though).
    Differences:
    The tests I have seen show the Squad Scout at best out of the box is a 3-4 MOA rifle
    Every test I have seen on the FN FNAR has proven FN’s claim that it is a sub-MOA rifle bone stock.
    The FN FNAR also comes with multiple adjustment pieces for both the stock and the pistol grip and by all accounts has a better trigger.
    Any one fired both of these and have a comparison?

2. CarlosT

CarlosT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get both?

Okay, got the standard forum answer is out of the way.

I'm actually weighing almost the same decision. For me it's between the Socom 16 and the FNAR. So I'm interested as well in the comparison between the two.

3. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I can respond better when I get home, but the review in an FN magazine had sub-moa groups. I've been considering one, but I don't know that I won't want the SCAR 17 more.

4. Zombie Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I'd have to try the 17H, I was not happy with the 16 I rented. The
    reciprocating charging handle killed it for me.

5. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    How so?

6. Zombie Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    It was distracting while firing and just begging to get caught on something. Also the barrel seemed to heat up very fast, like it was too thin.

The iron sights were amazing, it was well balanced, and quick to bring back on target for follow up shots.

IMHO not worth twice the cost of a regular AR. I liked the Bushmaster ACR becuase it is made to snap a suppressor onto and the piston system adjusts to run with it with just the turn of a switch. It also very easily switches to 6.8mm, talk about modular! Unfortunately they have all been recalled for firing multiple shots.

7. fragout2000

fragout2000 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you looking for a field rifle, or a bench rifle?

The FN looks to be a decent bench rifle, and the M1A Scout is the clear winner for a field rifle. (Hunting/utiltiy/etc..)

Since the FN doesnt have iron sights, all tests conducted must have been with the use of optics. How many tests were conducted with the M1A Scout utilizing optics....? I wonder.
    Most of the tests I seen online were of the "H" version...which is their heavy bbl version. In contrast, the Scout sports a std weight bbl.
    The guarantee of MOA is apparently covered for both versions of the FN however, and would obviously depend on what type of ammunition one was shooting through it. (Think M80 Ball and compare it to M852 or M118 if your Military)
    FWIW, I have a M1A-A1 that will keep 3 rds at an inch using M852.

A few other things worth noting......

The FN is based on the Browning BAR hunting rifle, and not the M1918 BAR.

An M1A is essentially an M14 clone with a lifetime guarantee that travels with the rifle new or used. Mags are easy to find, parts are there as well, and the knowledge base behind the M1A is quite a bit larger simply because the design has been around for awhile.

BTW...... It is possible to reduce the OAL of an M1A Scout from 40.3 inches to 39 inches. ( Socom = 37.5in)
    An SEI gas lock front sight in combo with the Vortex direct connect flash hider.

11B

8. Zombie Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    ^Good question, I was looking for more of a field rifle so sub MOA accuracy isn't a must. I'm buying a tried and true Remmington 700 for a bench gun even before I pick this guy up. I think I will end up getting the Squad scout in the long run, it has been on my list for years and I realized that I keep letting new impulse gun buys get in the way of guns I have wanted for longer. Case in point some 6 handguns later I finally just bought a 1911 last month after years of wanting one and passing it up for other stuff.

9. baldp8

baldp8 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been drooling over both for quite a while myself. I am pretty sure I will go with the M1A when the funds are here. I just love the look and feel of that rifle.

10. fragout2000

fragout2000 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL..... I hear ya brother:)

I used to do that quite a bit myself, regarding impulse buying of guns.

I also think that you would be better off by going with the M1A Scout over the FN, as it is hard to beat for a general purpose field rifle. It was built from the ground up to be a true "point and shoot" rifle, and it's layout reflects this. ( Location of op-rod handle, safety, mag release,etc..)

The worst thing about the M1A/M14S is that they are addictive. I couldn't stop at just one. Started out with a bone stock M14S Norinco, and have had a few of various bbl lengths over the years, but my absolute favorite is the 18in bbl variety, such as the Scout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    11B

11. kirk22287

kirk22287 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I vote m1a but I'm biased lol. I actually just ordered a mess of parts for my socom. Its like christmas in july ha, soon she'll be sitting in a nsg sage chassis.

12. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I have both. I've always been a little bit disappointed in my Squad Scouts accuracy, and i't s heavy SOB. I really would not grab it if I have to pack it for very long, I'd grab an AR instead and take the loss of hitting power as a fair trade off.

My FNAR is lighter, far more accurate and more ergonomic to boot, other than those spendy mags, I like my FNAR alot better.

I WOULD grab it as a packing/trekking rifle if I anticipated long ranges and/or wanted more punch or stand off than an AR.
    As a matter of fact, my FNAR is my current "reach out and touch someone" gun, and wont wear you out getting it there if you have a ways to go.

I vote for the FNAR, but you know what they say about opinions
    ;)

13. nyc71

nyc71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here..
    BTW I already own the Squat Scout.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

14. Zombie Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    What sort of optics are you running on the FNAR? I thought I could throw my EO Tech EXPS 3-0 with 3x magnifier on it and have great combination of tactical ability and enough help to hit out to 300+ meters.

I think if I get the Squad scout I'll just throw on my Aimpoint M2 with the lowest mount La Rue makes.

15. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Im currently running a Nightforce 2-10x32 on it, I think your idea or an ACOG would also work very well and make it a bit more versatile.

I currently just run a red dot on my M1A, I'ts either an M2 or a good clone from primary arms.