M&P12-55 vs. CMMG .22 for training?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by 762x39, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 762x39

762x39 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    am looking for:
    reliability, durability
    accuracy
    which is closer to a real AR? i bought this gun to train for the range in boot camp.
    I bought the MnP22 already, but then i saw a metal CCMG-a4 (mine is polymer). It is not a mix-matched rifle, both the upper and lower are from ccmg. i am wondering (1)how this rifle differs from mine, (2)which would you prefer to own?? and (3)which is most like an AR?? thanks.

EDIT: so are you saying that even a .22cal AR upper like on the CMMG does not field strip the same as a .223 upper?
    because i would only return my MP22 if the CMMG is more realistic in field stripping, to pratice for when i will be shooting/stripping the M16 in boot camp. thanks.

2. shadow65

shadow65 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The CMMG uses real AR uppers. The only difference between it and a 5.56 AR is the Barrel--chambered for .22 lr and 1/16 twist-- and the BCG is for a .22. It slides in the same as a 5.56 BCG. The .22 bcg is not built the same as a 5.56 BCG.

The CMMG has options of forward assist and Bolt Hold Open Actuator that locks the bolt back after the last round. Keeps the bolt locked back when the mag is removed, again, like a standard AR.

These were developed as trainers for L.E. amd Military.
    My M4 LE has been extremly reliable. I've had 3 FTE's not due to ammo early on. I have over 13000 rounds through it.

Weight is the same as a standard AR with the exception of the BCG being a couple ounces lighter.
    I always recommend the stainless up grade. It's smoother, stronger, feeds better, uses less lube, and stays cleaner.

I have conducted field testing on these for 1.5 years now. Something new all the time.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Dave

3. nateroach

nateroach XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    no .22 LR upper or complete gun (AR style) will be identical to a M4/M16, they operate differently.

The .22LR is a straight blow back action because there is not enough gas expelled from a .22LR case to make it gas operated. Conversely, the .223/5.56 is a gas operated action, because it has too much power for a straight blow back.

If you want something that is accurate to the M4/M16 (minus the fire control and FA capabilities) for training and field stripping go get yourself a Colt or other mil-spec AR's chambered in 5.56mm.

just my 2c

4. 1EYEJACK

1EYEJACK XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

5. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can tell you this, a friend has a Colt branded .22 LR AR type and it is much smaller and lacks realistic AR controls compared to the M&P. Other than weight, it is pretty close to the real thing for training purposes.

Rimfire rifles can only mimic centerfire ARs up to a point. The round is not intended for gas operation like .223 or 5.56.

6. 1EYEJACK

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right..... Properly, it is an "AR style", not "AR type".

7. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jack, for a guy with only one eye, you sure are a stickler for "precision terminology". Careful, that may lead to constipation.;)

From Encarta............
    type (n)

Synonyms: kind, sort, category, form, nature, brand, style, variety, manner, mode, class
    Synonyms: font, typeface, lettering, print, style, typography[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm... whats an M&P 12-55 ???

9. 1EYEJACK

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well,yes. Early on, I had a nun poke one of my eyes out for using "type" when I should have used the word "style". Ever since, I've had to use to use the correct word, as the Nun is still alive. ;)

Seriously, there is a difference in the words. The official S&W website does not use the word "type" in conjunction with the M&P 15/22. In fact S&W does not use the designation "AR" with the M&P 15/22, or the word "style" either.

Even the reviewers of the .22 cal, AR "style" rifles do not call them AR "types".

I'm very sorry this came up (again....) and hope that we can honor the young man's OP by giving him a thoughtful answer to his question.

Besides......."The Nun is still alive." There has been enough bloodshed over this, already!:shock:

One Eye Jack

CC: Clinton

10. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Besides......."The Nun is still alive." There has been enough bloodshed over this, already!:shock:.''

Having personally been abused by nuns in my youth, I can sympathize.

My serious answer, re bootcamp prep., either practice with an M4gery with an auto bolt carrier like the real thing or just practice marksmanship with it until you are really proficient at shooting and CLEANING it. Disassembly will be taught ad nauseum at Parris Island until you can do it in the dark and recognize your bolt from your neighbors (always a good skill)LOL.

IMHO, the M&P you have is as close as a .22 gets to being realistic as to external controls and lots of cheap fun for the money. I wouldn't trade it UNLESS it is for an actual AR 15 (that stands for Armalite) but is now a designation used by many companies for their ........errrr.....AR 15s.:D

11. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :confused::confused::confused:

I didnt say anything lol;)

12. SebZE835

SebZE835 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL ohh you guys with the AR talk. I am going to go plink with my 15-22 now

:razz::razz::razz:

13. mobilecommand

mobilecommand XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  14. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
  15. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 15
    :razz:

16. ThinkLiveLife

ThinkLiveLife XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a Marine so take this comment as such.

If your going to join the marines do not teach yourself to shoot. If you don't know let them do it. Our best shooters are the ones professionally taught because they do not have bad habits. The ******* that comes in talking about what a great shot he is usually ends up with a pizza box on the range.

As for training with how the weapon functions if your going for a 22 hands down get a CMMG. Most 22 cal AR's are not actually AR rifles at all. Their some kind of kids toy made of plastic. With a real AR you should be able to swap out the upper receiver to get a different caliber. CMMG is one of the only companies that makes a full rifle in which you can do that.

You will want to get a BHOA and mags that work with it as well. Get a MOLE vest and practice reload drills. With the BHOA do it in this order.

-Look down the sights
    -Rack the charging handle so the BHOA locks back
    -Release a mag
    -Grab a mag and load it
    -Release the forward assist
    -Repeat

This will make you faster at reloading which is very nice. If you want similar sights get a T post front sight and a carrying handle (With 0-2 flip) rear sight.

Additionally you can do failure to fire drills which I will not cover. To do those with the CMMG you will have to make your forward assist functional which is another upgrade.

Point blank- You would be better off doing pushups (If your going army) or Pull ups (If your going marines) until your arms are rubber for your pre bootcamp prep. With either do a lot of learning and get that rank structure down.

Good luck

-Edit* God help you in finding ammo for a 22 btw..