Looking to buy a Mini 14

Discussion in 'M1A /M14 Talk' started by Bluto, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a M1 Garand and have come to like the open rotating bolt design, and knowing that the Mini14 has the same open bolt design and a bottom feeding cousin to the Garand I'm looking for one. My question is which one do you guys that own them think I'd be the most happy with? I'm leaning towards a wooden stock, so does that limit me to the ranch rifle? At the moment and will probably shoot iron sites but would like to keep my options open if I did change my mind and want to install a scope on it. TIA...........Bluto

2. Jedi XD

Jedi XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I believe you can find them in both wood and fiberglass stocks, just need to look. For what you are spending, I don't think the ranch really offers much more(IMVHO). Either way it is really easy to remove the stock if you find one you like better at a later time.

So, why not an M14/M1A, if you want the next generation Garand, that would be the way to go? (you had to see that one coming, right?)

3. AMER1CAN WAY

AMER1CAN WAY XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the m1a are really nice but its a big jump in price!!!

4. imwright1985

imwright1985 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own a mini14, if you shop around used you can get some great deals on them. They are fun to shoot but not great for accuracy out of the box. The new ones are better since they have the option of a Bull barrel from the factory. I love the fact ammo is pretty cheap for it and it is reliable for shooting. Parts availibility is pretty good for them too. For a fun sporting rifle it is a great buy but for percision or anything serious I would lean towards something else

5. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

lol I figured that would come up.:D Truth is I have the M1 chambered in 30-06 and Marlin 30/30. Love the 30 cal .round but enough is enough. I also have a 10/22 that is on the opposite end of the scale and a blast to plink with, but now I'm looking for something in the middle. So I figured a mini 14 in a 223 would be nice, but not looking to break the bank either. Thanks for the input.

6. imwright1985

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would see the accuracy differences between the Ranch and Target are (both barrels are listed as Heavy hammer forged, Target has their dampening system on it). If accuarcy differences are minimal I would go Ranch to save cost. Only reason I say those two is the standard doesnt have Scope mounts on the reciever from the MFG so if you want to add optics it would make life more simple. With staying with a traditional wood stock you can get those in a number of places for under a hundred bucks used and it will probably only be be minor fitment issues (if its an older stock) since the new barrels are supposidly fatter. I dont know how long the fatter barrel has been around but heard the newer mini's have a fatter barrel increasing accuracy.

7. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have heard the newer models are a bit more accurate than the older ones do to the newer heavier barrels.
    From what I've read and from what your saying it seems like the ranch model might be the best bang for the buck, but just thought I'd ask the guys who actually own them and pick your minds a little before I went and picked one up. Thanks for the feedback.

8. imwright1985

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep I dont recall if its all new ones or certain models. If you are set on a mini I would go ranch or target if you plan on adding optics (dont know how the targets dampener works but would consider it if it is a factory part on the barrel you cant add later). If your looking more for accuracy in that caliber though i would steer towards a cheaper AR15 though.

9. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks but I'm not really the AR 15 type. Like I mentioned I'd like to have a wooden stock if it comes with the rifle I want. My 10/22 has a plastic stock and I'm still kicking myself for not getting the wooden one. Maybe I prefer wood because I was a carpenter for so many years.:)

10. Jedi XD

Jedi XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Haha, maybe! I need to pick up a 10/22 one of these days(everyone should have one). I've even seen those garand/m14 kits for them too.

Good luck on finding one and be sure to take pics. Long are the days of finding them at wal mart for $299-399.

11. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Traded one of my Pistols in today on a new Mini 14 Ranch rifle. (Wooden Stock) It looks like a little brother to my garand when I put them next to each other. I managed to get the rifle some American Eagle Tactical AE223 ammo and a extra 20 round Ruger mag for it. If I can I'll take it to the range tomorrow and let you know how I made out..:D

12. imwright1985

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so.....how did it shoot

13. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It shot great. I haven't had any problems. I'll know about the accuracy better after I get a few more rounds down the barrel and I get a liitle more familiar shooting it. I never shot a 223 rifle before, mostly 30 calibers. So far though I'm really liking what I'm seeing.
    Only shot 20 rounds the first time out then took it home for it's first good cleaning and lubing. I'll see if I can get the time next week to take it out and run some more rounds through it. I think for the first 100 rounds I'm going to be shooting 20 rounds at a time and then clean and lube. I'll get a little more serious about shooting for accuracy and how accurate I think it is then.
    I pretty much use this same approach with all my new rifles and pistols.
    Some might think that it might be a little overkill on breaking them in the way I do but it's always seemed to work well for me. Very few of my pistols or rifles have ever had any problems. When I bought my Harley I changed the oil in that at 100, 500, and 1000 miles then every 3000 miles from there on . Haven't had any problems with that either. I'm a big believer in getting things settled in before you give it hell. :D

14. imwright1985

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great to hear. Shop around for mags I have seen 30 rnd mags go anywhere from 30-60 bucks. For some reason dealers cant seem to get their prices right.

15. invssgt

invssgt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The 580 and newer series Mini 14 Ranch Rifles are indeed more accurate. They completely retooled for the rifle in 2006-2007 and eliminated a lot of accuracy-robbing tolerances in the process. The good news is that they didn't compromise reliability. My 580 Series runs as good as the old ones and shoot noticeably better, cold or hot.