Looking for my first gun hk416D or Sig522

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Myke2209, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Myke2209

Myke2209 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been looking at the sig for a month or two but went to a gun show today a held a 416D and was really impressed any words of wisdom

2. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 2
    Yes, buy a Sig P series or an XD.

3. DixieXD

DixieXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    HUH?
    Seriously underimpressed with my buddy's Sig 556 design and function. Never shot the HK.

4. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 2
    Well which is it, a 522 or a 556. The 416 is just another AR with extra bells. If you are looking for something different in the general assault rifle category have a look at the XCR by Robinson Arms.
    The XCR-L is 5.56 and the XCR-M is 7.62

Robinson Armament Co - [XCR-L]

I have the XCR in 5.56 and like it a bunch.

5. Sycraft

Sycraft XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, particularly if the 416 and 556 are things you like, how about the SIG516, what you'd get if you combine them :). In all seriousness I was looking at getting a rifle and the SIG516 was what I chose. The H&K 416 appealed to me but man with that price tag. However I liked the idea of a piston gun. Also I decided I wanted an AR, since there are so many options for the AR platform. Well, enter the SIG516. More or less seems to be a 416 from Sig, but like $1200 less. If you search around you'll find Sig loves doing a torture test showoff with it where they dunk it in water, mud, sand, and so on.

So I have one. I can't give you the "Oh it is so amazingly reliable," talk because it is brand new, but I like the weapon. It is nicely designed and built, I like the features, etc, etc. I'm happy with the purchase. Got it for $1,300 from Riflegear.com, which is currently offline but you can call the shop.

Lots of other options, of course, but that is what I chose. Might be right for you since you are thinking about Sig and thinking about the 416.

6. Saber6

Saber6 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sig or HK? I have owned a SIG556 and I thought it a POS (piece of junk). After a couple of years of light use the finish started coming off. The stock always wobbled a little bit. Compared to AR15s my SIG was front heavy. Accessories for the SIG are harder to find and more expensive when you do find them.

On the positive side the SIG always went bang when it was supposed to but bullet impact may or may not be where you expected. Cleaning is a breeze. And if you are an anti DGI (direct gas impingement) person, the gas piston system will be perfect.

I had been shooting at a little known range and had her working great when the range shut down. About the same time my work kicked into high gear and I didn’t get the opportunity to do rifle for like a year. When I pulled the POS out of the safe the groups had spread from 2 ½ - 3 ½ in. to huge. I worked with it for a while but then acquired a Stag Mod 2 (I got a great deal). I added Magpul MOE stocks, grip, trigger guard and a Wilson trigger. Total cost for the Stag in this configuration was $940. The Stag is now my bug out, varmint and all round fun gun.

I paid a little over $1300 for the SIG556 yet sold it for a mere $500 after trying to sell it for year. Should you decide on the Sig, look for a good deal on a slightly used one, there is a lot of them floating around.

I know Sig has a great rep and lots of folks swear by them but I doubt I’ll ever buy another Sig product after the bath I took with my first Sig purchase.

All I know bout the HK is hearsay. But it’s all good hearsay (expensive but good).

7. Sycraft

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well something to note is I'm recommending a SIG516, not a SIG556. They are related, but fairly different.

The SIG556 was Sig's attempt to adapt their SIG550 platform to be more AR like for the US market. The 550 series are good guns (used by militaries and police forces all over the world) but didn't do as well in the US because they don't use accessories you find here. The SIG556 was an attempt to solve that. As you say, didn't go so well. I've not heard particularly good things about them.

The SIG516 is there new attempt, and I think a better one. It is an AR-15. It's lower will take other AR uppers and its upper will work on any lower. However like the H&K 416 it has a reliable gas piston system. That is the only part you'd have to go to Sig for, everything else you could replace with stock AR stuff. They have modified some other things (like this have a system to keep the lower and upper fitting tightly) but it is 100% compatible.

Solves the accessories problem nicely. It works with anything that works with an AR, no problem (and has quad rails so you can bolt tons of stuff on it if you like).

In terms of long term reliability, I can't say of course I just got it. However I am optimistic because Sig loves to show it off. Their are videos of them torturing the crap out of a test gun (that has already done 20,000 rounds) and not just once, but for their own promotion, for gun mags, for the Thai military, etc.

Of course being an AR if something breaks, and Sig won't fix it (it supposedly comes with a lifetime warranty), I can simply buy the part from someone else. Even the gas system could be replaced, if it came to that.

We'll see how it goes, but I like the idea. As I said I liked the H&K 416, since it is an AR made a bit more reliable, but man with that price tag. This is the same idea, but much less cost.

8. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
  9. 94dakV8

94dakV8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why not a Ruger SR556? Buds has em for right under a grand up to about 1200 with flip up sights, quad rail, and 8 mags I believe.

10. Sycraft

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The SR556 looks cool too. The reason I personally went with the Sig over the Ruger was in part because I like Sig but also because I wanted a 1/7 barrel instead of a 1/9. My research seems to indicate that 75gr+ BTHP bullets offer the best in terms of stopping power, but also are poor at barrier penetration, which is an advantage in terms of home defense. So I wanted a gun that I knew could stabilize the heavy rounds. The Ruger probably would, but I know the Sig can.

11. 94dakV8

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point, I haven't even thought about the twist on the Ruger. Thanks for the info!

12. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I have yet to come across any AR15 barrel that will not shoot a 77 gr bullet adequately enough for home defense distances (and in this instance I'm talking about realistic HD distances of maybe 25-50 yards.)

Even a 1:12 5.56 barrel will fire the heavy stuff. I just wouldn't try to compete with one where you want cloverleaf results in the 10 ring every time you pull the trigger.

If you're talking about long distance shooting with the heavy 77 and 75 gr stuff, sure the 1:7 will do better with it at long range.

But HD scenario's, any 5.56 AR should do fine with them for that.

Just my 2 cents.

13. 94dakV8

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True. But for the same reason folks buy 5.56 rifles now instead of .223, I want to be able to shoot whatever ammo I can find. Either on sale or scavenging for SHTF. Why not buy the better option the first time. Its a moot point but when throwin down at least a grand id take everything into consideration. I've recently read some great reviews about CMMG, not sure if they offer a piston setup but they've got great prices and might be worthe looking into. Once I get my needs taken care of I won't be so damn picky about my wants.... LoL

Listen to me soundin like the OP here, didn't mean to threadjack. Hope this info helps ya out. Carry on. :)

14. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    cmmg has made a piston upper for several years now.

I understand the point you were making about wanting the 1:7 twist. Nothing wrong with wanting a gun with a barrel that will stabilize the heaviest stuff too for using at longer distances.

As for scavaging though, I think most common surplus is going to be 55-62 gr because if you look around at stores, those bullets usually outnumber the rest everywhere you look. The heavier bullets just aren't stocked in the same large quantities as the M855 and the likes.

15. Myke2209

Myke2209 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can I buy a sig522 and later down the road slap on a sig 516 upper and it work all together