Looking for info before purchase

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by JPerkMr954, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JPerkMr954

JPerkMr954 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone! I just joined last night and after such a warm welcome and some browsing, I desided to jump right on in.... I'm not a noob to shooting, but this will be my first purchase...

My first question.... I read last night about fine spot rusting on the stainless xd which is what im looking at... Has there been any correlation between the people having the rust and the part of the country they live in, or a certain storage method being used? Im trying to narrow this down a bit more...

2. pioneer

pioneer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, an admittedly wet, humid part of our great nation. I own several firearms, both stainless and not. I have never had a problem with rust on any of my guns, either pistols or long guns.

Modern firearm finishes are great at preventing rust, but even stainless metals are not rust proof. I routinely clean them and wipe them down with a silicone impregnated gun cleaning cloth. While carrying my pistols, they are seldom if ever, exposed directly to moisture. Concealed carry means to me, no exposure to moisture as well as to casual visual observation.

On my older guns, those with a shiny blued finish, I apply car wax to the exterior surfaces. Internal friction surfaces are protected with more traditional methods including gun oil. A couple of those firearms were carried for several years exposed to the elements, when I was a uniformed police officer, with never a spot of rust. My beloved S&W model 19 (no dash) has served me faithfully since 1971, with never a spot of rust.

When not being carried, my firearms are locked in one of three safes located in the interior of my home, in a dedicated room for that purpose. The safes are well stocked with silica jell packets, which absorb any moisture that might make it past my HVAC system. There are other more sophisticated moisture control products available, but the silica jell has always worked well for me.

3. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't have the stainless model, but heard there have been reports of rust spotting. Nothing too serious and not experienced on every gun. Seems easily fixable by either a good wipe down with silicone cloth, rubbing a little oil, etc. . .

a little care goes a long way.

4. Destructo

Destructo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some folks tend to believe stainless is rust proof and i've even heard of guys wiping their stainless guns down with brake cleaner....

Stainless needs to be taken care of too, I suspect the ones who had some rust did not use ANY oil or used cleaners which removed all the oil and thus rust formed.

5. JPerkMr954

JPerkMr954 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea it doesnt seem that it occurs on every stainless model, but im trying to understand who it occurs to and why...
    I live in south florida... and there is humidity here... but i know that rust occurs on cars up north... not down here... so i'm thinking i might not have much issues...
    I did read though that this occured to people who kept the weapon in the stock foam lined case as well... Im not sure why it would be going back in the case if this is from CCW or home defense... but i guess there are reasons... I just am trying to see if i should change my thoughts and go with all black..

6. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Typically, rust forms on Stainless Steel, due to surface contamination.
    Keep surfaces clean, and your potential for rust is greatly reduced.

Also,
    Never use plain old steel wool to remove surface rust from Stainless.
    You will embed microscopic pieces of steel wool in the surface of the stainless, and the potential for rust to form will be greater.

7. brennahm

brennahm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rust happens/happened on northern cars due to the use of salt on the roadways. It happens less in SoFla because you're not driving around on roads splashing ionized fluid all over your vehicle (unless you like driving in the ocean ;) ). Like others have said, keep your metal protected. With your gun that means your lube/oil of choice.

8. jemrey81

jemrey81 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *edit - brennahm beat me to it!!
    Sorry, I don't know anything about the rust issues on the gun.... but as far as the cars up north vs. where you live - it's due to the cold winters, they use salt (sometimes sand) on the roads to take care of the snow and ice.... the cars tires kick that stuff into the body of the car as well as the whole underside. It causes areas for the rust to form and get out of control quickly especially with the rest of the humidity.

You could always go all black and have the slide refinished (I saw a thread in here somewhere with photos of the different color options - they look amazing and you won't have to worry about rust... but it's probably a lot more than just getting the bi-tone).

Good luck man!

9. rdrage73

rdrage73 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Buy an all black one and have the slide refinished with whatever you want ( ion charge, Duracoat, KG Gunkote,etc) in whatever color you want for generally cheaper than the price difference and you won't have to worry about rust.

10. JPerkMr954

JPerkMr954 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would never think to use an abrasive product to it, I would assume you just need to remove particals that can land on the slide like metal shavings and such... I see people stating that wiping down the gun with a slightly lubricated cloth can prevent this.. I am going to call SA also to see what findings they have about it...
    Are most of the occurances of this rust issue found up north or does it also happen down south? Also is the foam in the case really a issue?

11. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 2
    The foam can retain moisture, but if you HAVE to keep it in the case for long periods of time I suspect spraying the bare foam down with a lube will prevent the problem.

12. JPerkMr954

JPerkMr954 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was reading into this... about how much does this cost because if its more than the difference in black to the stainless.. it might not be worth it...

13. Pucknut

Pucknut XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dwell in the deeeeeeeeeep south. Have a SS XDm with no rust issues after 2.5 years. I do make it a point to keep the slide wiped down though.

14. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I wonder if some folks initially thought, "It's stainless, no worries" then failed to oil it like normal?

It is counter intuitive that a "stainless" gun is more prone to rust!

15. JPerkMr954

JPerkMr954 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well Guys.... I decided to call SA and I spoke with a wonderfully helpful rep over there...
    It was said, as you guys did, to keep the gun oiled up as to prevent from rust on the side..(I asked about silicone cloths and this was said as good to use- but how often to do so wasnt able to be told) and as you're im sure but I was not aware, they do offer lifetime warantee.. so if it did you probably could get it refinished (didnt confirm- said you'd have to send it in)
    So they offered to speak to the techs to give me manufacturer information about how to store it and minimize the possibility of this occuring on the SS. I mean I could buy the black and have the slide done... but for my first one, I dont want to have to go thru that- which is a big reason cosmetically why I like the XD.. Aside from the excellent reviews about durability and reliability...
    I'll provide any information I am given from SA once I get it!!