Looking for AK Knowledge

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by BIGHOSS6.7, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BIGHOSS6.7

BIGHOSS6.7 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am an AR guy...I know plenty about AR's and I own several. BUT, I want to add some AK's to my collection...Who/what brand do you recommend for a good quality AK? I want the AK-47 7.62x39, not the AK-74...Thanks!

2. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +132 / 26
    Arsenal is the best bet. SGL SLR -- any of the Arsenal models are great. You could be dumb like me and convert a Saiga but right now getting a Sporter for the $3-400 would be very hard.

Arsenals are pretty much converted saigas but they are converted professionaly and they are real deal Russian AK's. I didn't know much about AK's and converted my saiga to an Arsenal and could have just purchased an Arsenal and saved time and a few hundred bones.

The AMD AK's are also good from what I hear ... If you can find a WASR for $500 then that's another good AK , but the prices are jacked up now and $6-1000 for a WASR is a JOKE.

I.O is hit or miss from what I've read ... some are fine and some are junk.

Get an Arsenal , you won't regret it.

K-Var Corp. ™, The Largest...

3. Minkman555

Ratings:
    +132 / 26
    Damn they are out of stock on K-Var but I'm sure if you search online for an SGL-21 you'll find one .

4. MidwestDefenseInstitute

MidwestDefenseInstitute XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The first and foremost that stands out among production AKs is Arsenal.

They offer stamped and milled receivers (what's the difference? Price and weight. That's about it), as well as plenty of flavors.

The SLR series of Arsenal rifles are brand new Bulgarian parts assembled in Nevada along with 922r compliance parts.

The SGL series of Arsenal rifles began life as Saiga sporter rifles, that Arsenal converted. (Since you are new to AKs, the Saiga sporters are hunting rifles that are made in Russia, in the same plant as the original Russian military AKs)

Either option from Arsenal is great. The costs will range depending on the model.

Do not, do not, buy Century produced AKs unless you can inspect them firsthand. The parts are good quality, it's the putting them together that Century has hit-or-miss success with. Look for things like canted sights/gas block, how smooth the action is (should be one bump in the action as the bolt carrier rides over the hammer to reset it, and the bolt should slam home when released. There is no BHO), and whether or not the magazine wobbles in the mag well (play should be minimal, but not so tight that it's a pain to insert/release the magazine)

5. BIGHOSS6.7

BIGHOSS6.7 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guy's! That was very informative....I was looking at the Sega's at the show before the bubble and considered one of them...I think I will wait and look when the price comes down...Sounds like Arsenal is the way to go.

6. Bull79

Bull79 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing about ak47s buddy they are all good and will go bang everytime you squeeze the trigger. Its all about fit,finish and price when you weigh your options you will get what you pay for. My opinion get any one you can you will love it just like i do all of mine and will never let you down :)

7. btsan7452

btsan7452 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guess it depends on what you want to spend.

I looked at Arsenals this past fall and they were way too expensive for something that can easily be done yourself with a Saiga 7.62

I went the Saiga route and feel I saved some money, remember its a business and these guys are in it to make money, not to convert your rifle for you on the cheap cause they're such friendly folks.

Here's my Saiga, and its way cooler what Arsenal can do ;) ;P

[​IMG]

8. MidwestDefenseInstitute

MidwestDefenseInstitute XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    All depends on what "easy" is. It's not drop-in replacement parts by any means. It does involve metal work.

Some people are not gunsmiths, nor mechanically inclined enough to do the work. Some people just don't have the tools or workshop space. Some people prefer to let the professionals do the work.

9. Piratesailor

Piratesailor XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    As people have said, Saiga is a good way to go. If you can find one a converted vepr is solid. Also a madi is good.

Wasr's are upwards of $1k now. A few years ago they were $200. If you look at one make sure it's in good shape. They've had a few problems.

Good luck finding anything. Today I did see a guy that is selling his wasr 10/63 with a tapco conversion, 4 mags, red dot and a few other items for $1,100. Pm me if you want the information.

10. Piratesailor

Piratesailor XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Nice. Looks like one of mine. I don't have the foregrip. Do you like that? I also have a red/green dot. My other Saiga has a Russian docter scope.

11. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    IMO arsenals are overpriced and not worth it.

I have a wasr and its not magic or perfect but it is nice as any stamped AK. its a good shooter and thanks to Son of Odin zeroing it for me it's pretty accurate.

12. blefferd

blefferd XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I would sit back and let this current storm subside. Once this panick is over and prices deflate back to normal get a Romanian WASR for a starter rifle, or if you are mechanically inclined and have some skill with a drill do a Saiga conversion.

Both rifles are solid, anyone that tells you a WASR is junk is a fool. They are factory built rifles in Romania and turned into there current configuration in the US by Century Arms. Mag wobble side to side is no problem. Mag wobble front to back will cause problems.

Look the rifle over, make sure the FSB is straight. If you have to push your windage drum to max it still meets soviet standards. If it goes max and still wont shoot straight then you have a problem. Those two issues are the biggest "problems" with the WASR.

People talk **** about them because they dont know any better, I remember in the 90's when the Chinese Norinco was cheap Chinese junk, but in reality they where actually high quality rifles..

13. hrvatska1

hrvatska1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go with a Yugoslavian AK. Something like the M70AB2 underfolder is overbuilt with a 1.6mm thick stamped receiver. They don't have chrome lined barrels but are a lot more accurate than a lot of AK's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

14. Minkman555

Ratings:
    +132 / 26

An Arsenal (sgl) is a saiga it's just converted professionally (I haven't seen a conversion as clean as an Arsenal) ..

Your conversion is great , but just looking at it -- it would cost the normal consumer around the same as an Arsenal .

My conversion cost me much more then what I would have (and should have) paid for an Arsenal -- and that's because I was not too informed at the time of my saiga purchase (like o.p). My saiga is pretty much an Arsenal but cost me a ton more money and time , and work and it will never be as "factory" as an Arsenal assembled one.

Ps: is that the ultimak mount ? I'm trying to decide between that and the beryl.

Attached Files:

15. Minkman555

Ratings:
    +132 / 26
    I love WASR's (had one myself) , but they may be "factory built" but they are surplus parts made in the 70's ...