Looking for advice on what do first for a new XDM owner

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by scottvt98, Sep 9, 2011.

1. scottvt98

scottvt98 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a newbie gun owner and I purchased a XDM 9mm (my first handgun). I'm going to be picking up it this weekend. I'm looking for advice from the experts here on what I should do first once I get the gun.

Can I shoot it right out of the box? Should I field strip it first and clean and lube it before shooting it?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. Croesius

Croesius XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is ready to go out of the box! It isn't packed in cosmoline, so you don't have to worry about that. It never hurts though, to run a patch down the barrel. Make sure no crud somehow wound up there.

Take a 100 with you, post pics!

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the club!

3. DixieXD

DixieXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 out the box. Bring lots of ammo and break those mags in right away. Repeated pressure loosens the spring tension. Load, empty, reload, smile, repeat as necessary.

4. Smoker03

Smoker03 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do a quick field strip and clean the crap out of the barrel and the rails. These are high production guns that sit in transit for some time. Instructions state to do a field strip and clean before the first outing.

5. PistolEd

PistolEd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some things to note, when its brand new, getting a full mag seated into the pistol is tough, but that's normal. Getting the mag full is tough too, you'll need to use the loader. Now, I can load 19rds by hand without the loader and seat the mag without having to slam it.

Otherwise, clean, enjoy, repeat!

6. PCollen

PCollen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never had a problem with my XD9 Service seating the mag , but getting a full 16 rounds into the mag by had was hard to do. I bought the 'kit' without the loader, and mag and gun holsters, and I used some of the money saved to buy the UpLula mag loader, and it makes loading a full mag MUCH easier.

7. PistolEd

PistolEd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think this problem (and I hate calling it a problem) is unique to the XDm 19rd magazines since when they are new, there is no 'give' for the bullets when seating the magazine if its completely full. You don't have the problem if you only put in 18rds. Once the springs loosen up a little, it seats fine. This happens on all my new mags.

8. Xtreme Man

Xtreme Man XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Field Strip it.

Spray the slide down with a spray can of Break Free CLP or Rem Oil or Ballistol, let it soak

Spray the barrel down outside and inside

take a clean rag and wipe down the internals

Get a 9mm bore snake and run it through the barrel starting at the BREECH END not the muzzle end.

wipe the excess off the slide and barrel

put a dab of oil on the metal locking block in the center

Reassemble

Put a smidgen of oil on top of the breech or chamber of the barrel that sticks out in the ejection port.

Put a smidgen of oil on the top muzzle end of the barrel where it makes contact with the hole through the end of the slide.

Go shoot that sucker.

9. scottvt98

scottvt98 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand all of this expect, (newbie ignorance), what/where is the metal locking block?

10. Croesius

Croesius XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have the slide off and are looking down at the top of the pistol, it is the part opposite the mag well from the sear/hammer/trigger parts. The lever you flip up to field strip is attached to this part, basically.

(if I am correct...oh lord, I hope I am)

11. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I like to give it a good lube with Tetra gun grease. But if your in a hurry,

Drive to range.
    Remove from box
    Remove red tag.
    Load.
    Fire.

12. RobzXD

RobzXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The store I bought mine from had its own range. I went from the store, out to the car to get the 200 rounds I brought with me, back into the range.

Some people do have problems completely loading new magazines and some don't. If you can't get that last round into the mag, even with the mag loader, don't worry about it... You may be able to by the end of the range trip after exercising them a bit. For some, an "UpLula" (Universal Pistol MagLula) mag loader helps get that pesky last round (or last 2 rounds) into a brand new mag. :)

13. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    ^ what he said.

Plus -

Take the magazines apart. Clean by pushing a clean rag through them. Inspect the plastic followers and if there are any goobers sticking out from the molding process, gently sand them smooth with extra fine paper. While you don't have to, I like to spray the followers and inside of the mags with 100% silicone spray. It's a bit more slippery and has no residue to collect gunk.

Yeah, you can just load it and go, but that's not as smart as performing the correct maintenance. There are no benefits from the grab and go but there are from the 4 minutes it takes to field strip, clean & oil. Maybe it's advanced age, but I just wasn't in such a hurry to fire it that precluded basic maintenance.

The full mag will seat with just pinky finger pressure IF you have the slide open. If the slide is closed, then you have to compress the stack of rounds against the full spring pressure. You can make it a LOT easier if you polish the top of the mag retention tab. Either remove it and polish or "insert, remove, repeat" 500 times with each full mag against a closed slide. You need to do all mags to polish both surfaces. Mine has been polished to a high shine from use and is way easier than when it was new