looking for advice for a 9mm

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by pjohnson2, Jun 22, 2011.

1. pjohnson2

pjohnson2 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    I am looking for a 9mm to shoot at a range not really to carry since as of now you cant carry them in Illinois. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a xdm, 92fs, glock something along those lines. I was just wondering which one is the best or if it really just comes down to my personal opinion. thanks

2. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My choice would be CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all-steel) :)

3. SebZE835

SebZE835 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personal preference, fit in hand, and as budget allows. I recommend the XDm with the 4.5 barrel. There are multiple good choices.

4. SebZE835

SebZE835 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I look at it like this: Establish what you want the pistol for. Concealed Carry? Range toy? Home Defense? Etc...

Then establish what you want as far as: Type of sights? Barrel length? Warranty? Polymer frame? External Hammer? Safety configuration? Magazine capacity? etc. etc. etc...

Once you establish all of these parameters, then you will know exactly what you should be looking for. You will find maybe 4 or 5 that you keep coming back to. I would then try to handle each one up close and personal...maybe even try to rent them at a local range if possible. A decision should be pretty easy after all of the above. Happy hunting! :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

5. shooter-55

shooter-55 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the 3 you wrote about the XDm and the Glock are comparable in weight and feel. The 92FS will be a little different by weight and grip. It really comes down to what fits your hand better, and how well you can manage the gun. If you have a range nearby, you may want to see if they rent these styles and try all 3. You are sure to get varying opinions to your question.
    Good luck in your quest.

6. CarlosT

CarlosT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's no substitute for actually firing the guns. When I was first looking for a gun, I liked the looks of the FN Five-seveN, but the reality was that the gun was a horrible fit in my hand. Then I tried a couple 1911s, and that wasn't particularly impressive either. I then tried out a Sig P229 Enhanced Elite, an HK P30, and then finally, the XDm. Out of all those, the XDm is what felt best. As a bonus, the XDm is about 40% less than the Five-seveN, so that money went towards my first 2000 rounds of 9mm.

But, yeah, what I've learned through that process is that guns are not one-size-fits-all. What works exceptionally well for you is guaranteed to be exceptionally horrible for someone else.

7. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    For a truly great 9mm, I second Poink with the CZ. They're hard to beat for comfort, reliability, and cost factor.

8. pjohnson2

pjohnson2 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the opinions so far I'm really just looking for a reliable gun for the range just to have a little fun with thats not terrible in price

9. CarlosT

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And as an illustration of my point, my wife tried the CZ and hated it. Did not fit her hand at all. So you really do need to go out and try them.

10. pjohnson2

pjohnson2 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How reliable is the cz I haven't looked to much into that gun as I did for the others

11. DanTheEldest

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Not disputing that. He asked for suggestions, I suggested.

12. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Of the three you mentioned I would go with the Glock. A G17 specifically. You should also look into the M&P 9fs or the 9L, they're great guns.

13. Russ7777

Russ7777 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you have a range that rents guns? If so your best bet is to go to the range several times and rent a different pistol each time. You will be able to make a good decision on what feels best to you.
    I personally would suggest a xdm 3.8c. It comes with two magazines; one hight capacity and the other really high capacity(19). Yes you will pay more for it, but if Illinois ever gets a clue and allows it citizens to exercise your constitutional rights, then you will already have a quality weapon thqat is very concealable.

14. DanTheEldest

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    They are very good quality weapons. The basic design hasn't changed much in over 30 years and many of the top competition shooters in the world use them, along with foreign military and police units. My next purchase will probably be a PO-1 (smaller than the SP-01 for easier concealment).

15. CarlosT

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know, but it's like telling someone what their favorite ice cream should be. We can suggest all we want, but he's got to find out what works for him.

That said, all of the guns I mentioned have their good points, and would be worth looking at. One that I forgot to mention that I tried was the S&W M&P. It too eventually lost out to the XDm, but it was pretty close.