Looking for a good inexpensive O/U Shotgun

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by pjmaxm, Jun 29, 2005.

1. pjmaxm

pjmaxm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking to get a decent inexpensive Over Under shotgun for under $500. I do not need any fancy wood or metal work, just a basic good shooter.
    I have been looking at the shotguns from Baikal, Spartan (which is Remington's imports of the Russian Baikal), Stoeger (which I think they make in Brazil), and Mossberg (Mossberg's over and unders are made in Turkey). I have seen some good write ups on the Baikal/Spartan shotguns as a good shooter that isn't the prettiest. The Mossberg is relatively new but I have handled one in person and the quality seems to be better for the price compared to the Russian guns. Also I think I would trust a gun made in Turkey more than one from Brazil or Russia, just because I have seen some questionable guns from Russia and some very nice ones from Turkey. Like I know CZ is also importing some over and under shotguns that are made in Turkey. I have only looked at the Stoeger because it pretty close to the cheapest price I can find for an over and under ($300), but I think that it is what it is: cheap. And if I look at the upper models of Stoeger I get into the price range of the Mossberg and Spartan; $450-470ish
    I am leaning towards the Mossberg because it is made in Turkey, it comes with 5 chokes (as opposed to the 3 with the Baikal/Spartan and 2 with Stoeger), it has a nickel receiver with some engraving (I don't need nickel or engraving but if I can get it for the same price, why not get it), it has a single selective trigger (which the Baikal also has), and it has chrome lined chambers and bores (which the Baikal is, but not sure about the Stoeger)
    So those are my initial thoughts on my choices. I am also looking at every used gun place in my area searching for a good used over and under for under $500, so it does not have to be new. Any suggestions or advice or experience with any of the guns would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other makers I have overlooked it would great to hear some other options. Thanks everyone and good shooting.

2. 87-51

87-51 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't seen the Mossberg yet, but I've always been happy with their products. I do own a Baikal SxS that I have been very pleased with for the price ($200 new). They are a very stout built firearm, just not the prettiest. Either one will probably do the trick. Good luck.

3. 87-51

87-51 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One more thing on the Baikals. You may look for a Baikal and not the Spartan. They are the same gun (I believe) but the Remingtons tend to be higher priced. I don't think EAA is importing the Baikals anymore, but I'm sure there are plenty of them out there yet. Just trying to save you a buck.

4. gunner65

gunner65 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two words Stoeger Condor ($299).....Never had a single problem in the 8 years I have had it for trap/skeet and dove hunting. I have probably put 10K rounds through that baby without a hitch.

5. aiformula

aiformula XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is the gun that is now referred to as the Baikal above. EAA took over importation from Stoeger. Kinda like how SA took over from Intrac or whoever it was on the XD.

6. gunner65

gunner65 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I was to buy another one I would look at the new Condor Trap. It has all the bells and whistles (auto ejectors, two-way adjustable butt, vented and ported barrels, and fiber sights) $499 at a local shop.

Yeah I know they are no longer Stoegers but I still call my HS an HS

7. Gary G23

Gary G23 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My next O/U will be a CZ. I have looked at the Russian guns but the Turkish guns are ten times better with only a slight increase in cost.

8. 87-51

87-51 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They are two entirely different guns. The Stoegers are still available under the Stoeger name. I believe they are made in Brazil.

9. pjmaxm

pjmaxm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I looked at those CZs, damn fine shotguns. A little out of my price range though (660 at the shop where I saw one), but I was very impressed with it. I was also impressed with the Mossberg's quality, fit and finish for $470. I agree that the Turkish made guns are much better than the Russian made guns.

10. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    I'd look at the Baikal Russian o/us - they seem like quality guns. My Dada has a Baikal 20 gauge SxS and its a decent gun.

We're definately not o/u people...we prefer SxS for double barrels, but the o/us should be as well built as the SxS.

Don't expect Beretta or Citori like quality, but better than the Brazillian Stoegers.

I am considering a Baikal SxS in 16 gauge for this seasons dove hunting. They're very affordable.

-Brickboy240

11. Bird_Dog0347

Bird_Dog0347 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on the Baikal, I bought a 12 gauge OU, took it goose hunting that weekend, monday morning, went in and bought the 20ga. just like it.. awesome guns. still prefer my brownings, but love the Baikals....

12. spade

spade XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've handled the Mossberg O/U...it's a good looking gun and I'd say it's a tad bit more nimble in the hands than the Spartan. You may want to check this yourself, but I think the Stoeger has the least stiff break-action.