Lookin for new tires, Michelin, Goodyear, or?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by maizera, May 9, 2010.

1. maizera

maizera XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I need to get some new rubber on the car. I am very partial to Michelin, but I know there are a lot of good tires on the market. On my previous car I put Michelin Hydroedge tires on it and they made my taurus stick like glue on dry and wet pavement. The snow traction was good, and better than expected on ice. I have looked at the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and they seem to be a good choice as well. Anyone have any experience with the Assurance tires or does anyone else have any other good suggestions? I know I won't go wrong with the Michelins, but I am looking to see if I can find all the pros of the Hydroedge with a little better snow traction. I can get the Michelins for $135 and the Goodyears for $126.

I like good tires, they are one of the main components that keeps you firmly planted on the road.

2. billxdm

billxdm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelins here, well on the wifes SUV, Cross Terrains to be exact.
    BFGs all terrains on the Dodge CTD

Michelins are great but pricey.
    BFG's look and perform great but wear quick around town. and are pricy as well in 35's

3. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Buy Michilins, but shop the price they had a $50 rebate deal when buying a set of 4. I bought Harmony for my car, 80,000 mile tires.

4. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hancook Ventus V12's. Under $100 per tire, and rivaling the almighty Michelin PS2 in comparison, which is almost $200 per tire. They actually performed better over the PS2 in wet conditions, according to Car & Driver.

-Thomas

5. Blargh23

Blargh23 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have some Yokohamas on my Taurus, they ride about the same as the Goodyears I had.

6. MrBoxx

MrBoxx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I work at a Goodyear dealer, but we sell all makes of tires at my shop. Here's the low-down:

1: The Goodyear Assurance comes in 3 flavors: Tripletred, Comfortred, and Fuel Max. The Tripletred is the one made for great traction and long-lasting wear. It's an outstanding tire if you live in a place that gets snow or lots of rain/standing water. There are a few drawbacks however. It sacrifices comfort for traction. While not as noisy as a mud tire, it's a little noisier than the average passenger car tire. If safety's your main concern however, the TripleTred is the way to go. A side-note: This tire is quite a bit heavier than it's counterparts in the same size. You might not think that means a lot, until you discover that certain cars (Newer Toyota Camry and Honda Odyssey) have specifically tuned suspensions and will not deal well with a heavier tire. The results will be vibration and noise, until the tires are replaced with something else. Warranty on the TripleTred- 80k miles. Also comes with Goodyear's Assurance package, which includes free Roadside Assistance (If you get a flat tire, you call a 1-800 number and Goodyear sends out a tow truck to change your flat tire for you, FREE of charge.) That's helpful for anyone who's got a wife who doesn't know how to change a flat tire, or kids away at college.

2: The Comfortred is quite the opposite of the TripleNipple. It's designed primarily for vehicles that fall into the sport luxury/luxury touring category. Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Acura, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. That's not to say you can't put it on an '85 Ford Tempo. But the tire itself is meant to give the softest, most comfortable ride you can get. In the past month, they've debuted a new model of Comfortred called the Comfortred Touring. The standard Comfort is being discontinued and the Touring model is taking over, but they haven't been in production for very long, so certain sizes aren't available yet. The Touring model has an extra layer of it's Comfort layer rubber in the sidewall as well as in the tread area, giving an even softer ride. While not the primary choice of Eskimos, the Comfortred will still cut through the snow and rain like any standard tire, possibly better. Also has the 80k warranty and the Assurance package.

3: The third tire in the Assurance line is the Fuel Max, which is OE fitment on the Prius, the Chevy Volt, a bunch of other hybrids. The warranty is only 65k, the tread pattern is "meh" and I haven't really heard many of my customer's have glowing reviews of it. If you don't care about saving $100 worth of gas over the lifetime of your tires, then don't even bother looking at these.

Now, the Michelins are a different story. The main competition to the Tripletred is the Michelin Hydroedge, which is a decent tire that lasts a long time. If I remember correctly, some sizes/speed ratings have a 90 or 100k mileage warranty. The Hydroedge is a great water/rain tire, but it lacks a bit in winter/snow/ice traction as far as the Tripletred is concerned. Michelin's are also pricier than Goodyears and they TEND to have a faster rate of weather checking on the sidewalls than Goodyears. I've seen year-old Michelins come into the shop that look like they've been sitting in the sun for 4 years. The competitor to the Comfortred is Michelin's Harmony. Both have the 80k warranty. The Harmony is a decent tire, designed for a quiet, comfortable ride. If I had to choose between them, I'd probably just go with the cheaper one.

Right now, Goodyear is offering a $40 rebate on the Assurance Comfort and Tripletreds, but they double it if you put the purchase on the Goodyear card, which is a no-fee card that you can only use at Goodyear locations (and I think any other dealer of Goodyear tires, but don't quote me on that.) So you could get $80 off the set if you did that, and they're doing No Interest/Minimum Payments for 6 months on purchases over $250. Even if you applied for a Goodyear card and used it to buy the tires to get the larger rebate, you could just pay it off at the store the next day or whenever.

Since you live in Minnesota, have you considered just getting a set of steel wheels and some snow tires? If so, soon would be the time to get them. Don't wait till November to buy snow tires.

Sorry for the novel here. I come here and you guys are talking about a million different guns like it's second nature to you all, and I'm all lost. Then once in a while, someone asks a question that I know the answer to, and this long-ass response is what you get. :)

P.S. While it doesn't mean much to some people, for others it's a deal-breaker. All of Goodyear's tires, except for the Marathon which is a trailer tire, are made either in 5 American plants or 1 Canadian plant that does their prototyping and testing. Michelin is a French company. Cooper builds tires in Ohio. Hankook, as someone mentioned above, is obviously a Chinese tire. There are a ton of Chinese tires out there. However, if you were to go buy a Ford F150 off the lot right now, chances are it would have Hankook Dynopros on it from the factory, so while they're a foreign tire, they are gaining ground in the OEM market. But some people just prefer to buy American.

Edit #2

The Ventus line is a sports car tire. The V12 (evo) is a max performance summer-only tire. Someone from Minnesota (OP) would be very unhappy come November/December with these tires on. The PS2's are even more performance oriented. I'd recommend either of those tires to something with a bit of horsepower behind it that might only see 3 seasons worth of driving. Something in the Optimo line would be more appropriate for the OP's car, assuming it's the Ford Taurus mentioned earlier.

7. thetravlor

thetravlor XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Buy ones that say MADE IN AMERICA!!! Our economy needs the boost and our tire companies need to know we support them. I didn't see Cooper in there, quality tire to all needs. Most Goodyear are made here too.

8. TacXD9er

TacXD9er XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelins were my favorite tire. Purchased many for the wife's Acura, until I had a new set and had to replace three, yes three of them due to sidewall tears. Even the dealer was surprised. Nonetheless, I bought Goodyear Eagles. They seem to be a harder tire, with a slight humming sound at high speeds. Not as quite as the Michelin brand. But, they grip the road better on turns and (hopefully) they are still made in America. Besides, I noticed the local cop cars use the Goodyear Eagle as well. My truck however, does well with B. F. Goodrich. Two sets so far.

9. treehugger49

treehugger49 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I will soon be in need of replacing the tires on my F-250, and did a search on tires. I can't cite the reference, but the results came back recommending General Grabber HTS tires, and they were in the price range you mentioned.

Pirelli Scorpion ATRs also fared well in comparison.

ETA: I see you specified these were for your car (I should have read more closely), so maybe a comparable tire to the ones above are available.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  10. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Personally, I like Big O Tires. They have always taken care of me and the tires last quite awhile as well. I have them rotated with each oil change to help them last a bit longer.

11. toad

toad XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've always hated Goodyears for their noise. I have even bought a car I told the dealer I wouldn't sign for until he swapped the tires off. Maybe it's just me.
    I had Kumho's on both mine and my wife's vehicle until recently when I had a blowout (not tire's fault). I really like the Kumho's :roll:
    I then went to Coopers and like them so far.

...I feel ya on this one....I know about 1/1110000th of what most of these guys do about guns. What I could talk about all day is Air Force armament/weapons systems. I don't see much calling for that though. :shrug:
    lol

12. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Last set of GY tires on my truck went 22k in 13 month and were under 2/32nds. After 16k miles I gave them a 2nd rotation and found a major side pull. Yeah, I could get a pro-rated replacement at a 15% discount, but only on the one tire. Since it is a 4wd, and most of the tread was worn off, it required 4 new tires. Basically, GY tolk me to pound sand up my ass. Even though the tires were only 9 months old.

Now, I drive like an old lady. No burn outs, no power drifting in the corners, just calm driving to get maximum mpgs. Oh, the tires exhibited massive squirm from day one until they were nearly bald. Had to keep sawing the wheel back and forth to go straight. Had alignment checked at 2 places --> spot on. My opinion -- GY is junk. At least for truck tires. Will NEVER buy a GY truck tire again --EVER.

Get a cooper, if you want American made.

I've gone to Toyo M-55's on the truck. They have gone 30k and have 1/2 tread left.

13. MrBoxx

MrBoxx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cops use a specially designated Goodyear Eagle RSA for their cars. There are a billion different Eagle models, a bunch of which just got phased out. If you got the RSA, I'm not surprised there's noise. It's really not that great of tire. Whatever you do, stay away from the Eagle ResponsEdge. HORRIBLE tire and overpriced to boot. It's finally being discontinued.

The Grabber HTS is honestly my favorite truck tire right now. The tread is so awesome. It rides quietly, you can get them in just about any size and load range (if you tow or haul) and they just look sick. For a long time, General tires weren't really an option when it came to high quality when compared to the big names like BFG, Michelin, Goodyear, but lately they've been coming out with new designs that are just destroying the competition. Both Tirerack.com and Consumer Reports rate the HTS at #1 in the light truck category.

My boss's wife has the Scorpions on her Ford Expedition and he says he will never buy those again, due to pre-wear and a horrible ride. YMMV, but if you have the opportunity to get the HTS, that would be my recommendation.

Just a couple questions: Do you haul or tow anything heavy? Is your truck a fairly large one: half-ton, 3/4 ton? And did you get the proper load range for what your vehicle's needs ask for? Anything over 1/2 ton that might see some hauling duties, I usually recommend Load Range E (10-ply) tires, simply to avoid squirm issues. Which Goodyear truck tire did you get? The top of the line for passenger trucks is the Wrangler SilentArmor (I have these on my Dakota and they have been amazing) and that's available in at least three different load ranges, as well as a Pro-Grade with extra sidewall reinforcing. Did you get a different model of Wrangler?

You say you did your second rotation at 16k miles? You're about 12k overdue then, and lack of rotating will definitely cause a chopping pattern to appear on the rears, then when you rotate those to the front, you'll get that side-side motion in the steering wheel, vibration, noise, etc. That's why we recommend every 6-8k for rotations. Sometimes certain vehicles will need to have their tires rotated even more. The Ford Focus hatchback is notorious for eating rear tires.

Regarding your pull after the rotation, that sounds like a definite radial tire pull. It's simply a defect in the tire, and yes, Goodyear (or the dealer you bought them from) should have dealt with it and satisfied their customer. To get that few miles out of a set of tires, I'm just wondering if they sold you the wrong load range or type of tire for what you were doing. Not trying to overly defend Goodyear; trust me, they've made some huge mistakes in some of their tire lines. But every car is different and every tire is different, so I can't say for sure what happened.

14. ID_ford_boy

ID_ford_boy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelins hands down... currently running Latitude Touring on my Explorer

15. Buffman

Buffman XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I love the Michelin Radial X's I got from Sams on my subaru. I think they're just like the Harmony but a "private" label for Sam's. I haven't had a lick of issue at all with these tires, in any weather condition.

My wife has BFG traction T/As on her cavalier. They've been a great tire. They have IIRC close to 40-50K on them now, and are finally getting down there needing replacement.