Lookin at gettin a Steyr

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by bachman44, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bachman44

bachman44 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've held one Steyr in my life, the M9A1, and it may have been the best feeling gun in my hand yet. This was 2 years ago and I didn't have the money for it that weekend. I feel the urge to go gun shoppin and the Steyr came to mind. I've pretty much forgot about it since I held it unfortunately or else I would have bought one by now. I have a couple questions.... I've done a little research and saw they have the( I'll use .40 as example) m40A1, s40A1, l40A1,and c40A1. I assumed the c40 was compact but apparently the s40 is the compact? Or maybe they both are. I wasn't able to find the difference between the c40 and m40. Also does steyr make it in .45? I've never seen one fired in person, nor have I talked to anybody about their experiences with Steyr. Usually youtube tells me everything I need to know but not in this case.lol If anyone can guide me with a bit of info on these guns that would be great. If I'm able to find one I promise some pics!

2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The S model is the compact variant; the C model has the same length slide as the S model BUT it has the full length grip & capacity. I own a S9-A1 and have to say that it is the most well made polymer gun I have owned. The machine work on the slide is impressive and the slide to frame fit is much tighter than say a Glock. You either like the trap. sights or you don't. The mags have a finish on them unlike any other I have seen. Steyr has some issues with ejection and came out with updated extractors to help solve it. Naturally, accessories are not as common for the Steyr brand but holsters and night sights are offered by several manufacturers. I have found their CS to be good as well. Recoil is very manageable even in the compact models. I assume the very low bore axis contributes to this. I personally like the Steyr trigger better than my Glock's by far. You may want to take time to read up on them at SteyrClub. You'll find all the good and bad about them there.

3. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    I can tell you about my 8 Steyrs. First, it's the single most ergonomic gun I've ever held. It just FITS. Due to the design and balance, recoil is minimal. <u wife loves shooting her M357, and handles my S40 easily. The trap sights take some getting used to, but once you do, you'll love'em! Although the gun is capable of great accuracy (my wife says, "It makes me look good at the range."), the sights are quick acquisition combat sights. If you get the triangle anywhere near within the angled lines, you'll hit what you aim at. The only downside is there are little after-market items for these. Blade-Tech makes some nice holsters for them, and I think a couple other companies do, also. Trijicon makes night sights for them, but I don't know who else.

You can do a lot worse than buying one of these beauties...a LOT worse.

4. bachman44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I'm gonna go for one as soon as I see one. I'm not concerned about the lack of accessories. I want something you don't come across too often but not useless. Hopefully I can score one without resortin to gunbroker.

5. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    Look in pawn shops. too. You often see the older models (which are still very viable SD guns) for reasonable prices. They're usually in good shape. You won't see many, but you only need one.

You might want to look at the Caracal. It's a Bubbits Steyr knock-off that's pretty sweet, too.

6. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Glock's suppressed Nemesis. ;)

Buy with confidence.

7. g40

g40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was at a LGS and he had a Steyr and a Colt gold cup. He had me check each one and compare. He had me shake the guns. Unreal how sloppy the Colt was compared to the Steyr. The Steyr was tight and the Colt rattled. The Colt was about $400 more also.
    I have yet to be impressed with Colts.

8. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    I can't anything for or against Colts (I've never owned one), but the Steyr is typical Austrian gunwork. It's solid and tight.

9. LocoGringo

LocoGringo XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steyr comes from the line of Glocks. The geneology is Glock>Steyr>Caracal. I owned one of the original Steyr M40s (bought in the late 90's...serial number 00018XX). It was a very handy pistol that just fit (like you said). The trigger is superior to a Glock's as well as the ergonomics, but as stated before, accessories are minimal. I could never get used to the trapezoidal sights and never shot accurately with it. I get GREAT groups with my XDm, but my Steyr suffered with poor groups. I had some accurate, consistent shots, but never any stellar groups. Even with "law enforcement" Speer Gold Dot loads, it seemed the brass just "trickled" out for ejection. I never had a failure to eject or a stovepipe, but it was always in the back of my mind.

I got to shoot a sponsored match by Caracal and they are great pistols also. Consider looking into one of those as the ergonomics are fantastic with that pistol also and the sights are a little more conventional. However, if you like the trapezoidal sights on the Steyr, you won't find another pistol with those sights.

10. bachman44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I'm still lookin for one. I've checked every shop within 50 miles with no luck but I had a guy think he may be able to get me one so I am waiting to find out. I was gonna be picky and just get one if I found an S40A1 but I may just buy whatever he can get. When I get in a mood to buy something I'm not patient at all so if I don't hear anything from him in the next two days I'm goin for a 1911, as I don't have one yet.

11. bachman44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good news! My gun guy said his distributor has a few Steyrs. Model S40A1 which is exactly what I wanted. All I asked of him was to see if he could get any at all in and it just so happen that he can get the model I wanted. He said it will be around 550 dollars maybe a bit less. So I said get it comin! Should be here in two days he said, as long as they are still available tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

12. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for bringing these to my radar. The new L-A1 looks pretty cool.

13. bachman44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are welcome. My S40A1 is suppose to be in tomorrow. I've never held this model before and I've never bought a gun without holding it till now.... so I'm feeling a bit impatient.