lock pick set

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by flynbye, Dec 29, 2010.

1. flynbye

flynbye XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i been tossing the idea around of haveing a small lockpick set to put in my b.o.b. the reasoning is if something did happen like long term you would be albe to resupply on food water and goods when you came across a untouch store. breaking windows and kicking doors would work but also draw attention to you, also once inside you can use that a shelter.

2. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Do you know how to pick locks? I would think that coming across an untouched store would be highly unlikely. Looters will have probably already ransacked everything.

This is all the pick you'll ever need.

ESEE Knives

[​IMG]

3. flynbye

flynbye XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i been watching trianing dvds and playing around with just basic picks. you have a good point of stores beeing untouched i just think it's a good skill to have in the arsenal

4. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    If you feel good about it go for it. I think it's more likely to find cache's in abandoned homes than in stores.

5. usmamg

usmamg XDTalk 50K Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    Stores will be the first victims to looting. Also their locks will be more difficult to pick. When the SHTF locks will not have to be picked

6. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Heh, that's why I posted that ESEE 5 made from 1095 high carbon steel and is .25" thick. That thing is a tank. You can use it as a pry-bar or a glass breaker. And it will hack limbs off, tree and human. :cool:

7. titaniumskull

titaniumskull XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Padlocks are easier than door locks, the more the tumblers in the lock the harder. It takes practice, its all in the touch and the feel of the tumbler lining up. Most places online that sell lock picks also sell clear lock cylinders to practice on. I have been using lock picks at work for 16 years, sometimes they open in less than 5 seconds and sometimes 5 minutes. It boils down to lots of practice. I can only think of one specific time a lock pick is needed, when trying to gain access to a fuel pump or pump tank fill point ( trying to shoot that lock could end up in a bang) and then an ammo storage container with a key lock access.

In most states, if you are stopped (during non SHTF times) for any plausible reason and they find lock picks, they will be deemed as burglary tools and now you have another problem to deal with.

8. xxkinetikxx

xxkinetikxx XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I remember reading somewhere about some federal law thats going to pass requiring you to have a license to own a lock picking set. I may be wrong but I swore I heard about it somewhere.

9. brian704

brian704 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    not bad idea...i have been thinking of one and also thinking of a kit to break into cars...

no not trying to become a picker....

you dont know how many times i get friends to call me or neighbors call. hey i locked my keys in the car. can you help....so i want a something for that to

10. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    While you're busy picking the lock, I'll kick in the back door, and clean the place out :p

11. brian704

brian704 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hahaha

12. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

Ssshhhh, dangit RR. You're gonna attract the zombies. :D

13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What store do you think won't be looted? Or do you plan to be at the tip of the spear getting your loot on?

Lock picking is a dedicated skill set. Unless you plan on dedicating some time to it, it's not worth the trouble.

14. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 4
    The theroy behind lock picking is easy. To master the skill is an other issue. Unless you buy one of those electronic lock picks your going to need to practice a lot to learn how to do it.

Applying the right amount of pressure...
    Raking...
    Working from back to front..

Not to push to hard otherwise the teeth dont fully set.

Its hard work and took me a while to get the hang of it.

15. plastikxd9

plastikxd9 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have this southord kit:
    Eleven Piece Lock Pick Set With Metal Handles - MPXS-11 by SouthOrd Lock Picks & Locksmith Supplies

Has worked pretty well for me. I'm not any good, but I can get most masterlocks/kwiksets open easily. Schlage on the other hand...uhg.

I also had a "kiwk pick" which is just awesome...I started with that. I would still use it but it broke on me...I just haven't gotten another one yet.

Dyno Kwick Lock Pick- lock picking Tool

but honestly, picking locks is just about showing off...if you just want to open something either break it or get a lock pick gun.

Pick Gun -EZ Snap Lock Pick Gun

I don't know about needing any license for them...I just buy em online from these places...no questions asked.