Loading the Xdm

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by Schwarf, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Schwarf

Schwarf XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just purchased my first handgun, a 9mm XDm 4.5" yesterday.

Took it to the range, it shot well, no problems. Speer FMJs.

I have two questions:

First: does the slide need to be locked back to properly seat a fully loaded magazine? Mine seems to, but I wanted to make sure that's the way it's supposed to be. The manual implies this as well.

Second: JHPs are obviously more expensive than FMJs. How many of my chosen home defense round will I need to run through it to be confident it'll work when I need it to? I picked the Gold Dot 124 grain +P, in case it matters.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I'd rather learn the answers than be too embarrassed to ask.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    you should not have to lock the slide back first. a fully loaded mag should insert with slide forward or back. Just slam the mag home. No worries.

I would run a minimum of 3 mags of HP's through your weapon to determine reliability. Obviously, more is better.

3. bigred1

bigred1 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will loosen up for you after a couple trips to the range, mine was the same. I just ran a full mag of JHP's (Federal HST's) and it ate them fine. Mine has about 500 rounds through it now and it feels nice. Good luck.....

4. Schwarf

Schwarf XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, thanks for the number of JHP rounds answer.

For the first question, I had the magazine full (19 rounds) and when I tried to slam it in with the slide closed, it fell right back out. When I slammed it in harder, it stayed put, but the magazine release button was so tight I thought it was stuck. I had to push it really hard to get the magazine out. I wasn't comfortable that the gun was fully operational, so I loaded it with the slide open, and no problems.

You say this will get easier at the gun gets broken in?

Thanks again,
    Steve

5. bigred1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it will. The mag springs are really tight when new, you probably noticed that when you loaded the mags.

6. Schwarf

Schwarf XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's a relief. I thought I had either cleaned the gun wrong or been sold a defective gun.

Thanks again,
    Steve

7. Schwarf

Schwarf XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now I remember my other question!

My XDm came with a case and accessories, including a cable lock. Where in that case should the key be? I can't find it, and there don't seem to be that many places to look...

8. jab119

jab119 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got the same handgun. my mags have been going in just fine with the slide open or closed, im not slapping it in real hard or anything, just enough push to get it locked in.

the springs in the mags are loosening up a little, I have about 300 rounds through it now so each clip has had the same amount of usage.

9. bigred1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine was in the zip lock bag the lock came in.

Edit: Love Texas! Grew up there.

10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 2
    Don't treat it like a toy. Rack the slide hard, slam the mag in like you mean it.

Once you get a few hundred through it, things will loosen up.

Most of all, enjoy it! Congrats.

11. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 3
    Hey, San Antonio Schwarf! Congrats and welcome to the forum from Brown Co. Is there a reason not to lock the slide back before you insert a full magazine? Do you keep the pistol loaded on an empty chamber? I keep my .45 close at hand when I sleep and that's the condition it's in. I want to make sure I'm conscious enough to rack the slide before I let any rounds loose in my house. That's about the only time I insert a fully loaded mag into the pistol with the slide forward.

When I'm at the range my magazines are always inserted with the slide locked back since that's what happens after the last round is fired. My XDm is over two years old and seating a fully loaded magazine still requires a pretty firm push, the mag release is as tight with a fully loaded mag as it was when brand new. Other than when loading with the slide forward to have an empty chamber, I see no disadvantage in locking the slide to the rear. Typically, I slingshot the first round into the chamber.

As far as a carry load, the 124 gr. +P Gold Dot is what I use when I carry a 9mm. It is an exceptional round. Shoot a few mags. I can't imagine that they wouldn't run flawlessly in your XDm. I've never seen anyone have an issue with that load. The Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ is another very good load when you can find them. ;)

12. AMSting

AMSting XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the slide is closed, you will need to slam the fully loaded magazine in to get it to catch. Also, the mag release will be pretty tight trying to get a full mag to drop. Just push up on the bottom of the magazine as you push the mag release and it will move much easier. You should be able to drop an empty magazine easily.

The top round in the magazine pushes up on the bottom of the slide when closed, so you have to overcome the magazine spring resistance to push the round down a little to get the mag to catch. That's why you need to slam it home on a closed slide. All perfectly normal. I carry with one in the chamber, and I top off the mag after chambering the first round, so I am always inserting a fully loaded mag with a closed slide. It does loosen after a few hundred rounds, but I don't think it will ever be too easy until your mag springs need replacement.

13. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 3
    I agree with AMSting. If you are CCing your pistol you'll want to load the chamber and top off the magazine with another round and then insert the loaded magazine into the pistol with the slide closed. I must have missed it, I didn't see that you were actually carrying with the pistol. ;)

14. Lou Hillman

Lou Hillman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With a 19-round magazine, it would not hurt to carry only 16 for a while until the spring and the magazine wear in a little.

My XD9 SC and my HS2000 both took a bit of time before they ran smoothly. I would recommend rotating through the ammo in the magazines so that the same round is not always being chambered.

Over a number of chamberings of a round, especially a defensive round, it is possible that the bullet will seat itself farther into the case.

That happened with a Kel-Tec 9mm about 15 years ago. (I finally gave that gun away, I hated it so much!)

15. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    When you insert a full mag, the mag spring has to compress to get it in and it's already in a highly stressed state. just try and load round #19 thumbs only and see for yourself. That's why you need to give it a solid thump. It's a combat gun, treat it rough -- it will like it!