Loading a nail gun, I feel dumb for asking this

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by JRB, Apr 20, 2010.

1. JRB

JRB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not a total noob when it comes to power / air tools, but I feel really dumb for asking this. I just purchased a Dewalt 16 gauge finish nailer (link). It comes with a 1000 pack of nails, in 50 nail segments. It loads from the back. The "manual" just says:

"1. Lock off trigger. 2. Insert fasteners into the rear of the magazine (G). 3. Pull pusher (H) back until the nail follower falls behind the nails."

Makes sense. But there is a retainer catch inside the magazine that stops the nails from being fed in, I have to get in there with my thumb and try to push them past the retainer with friction from my thumb so that the pusher can get behind the nails. Seems ridiculous to me, but I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I can't see a company like Dewalt making something work like that on purpose.

So, here's to hoping someone understands my question, doesn't think I'm an idiot, and can explain how to load this properly. Also, I do see the irony of asking a nail gun question on a handgun forum, but hey, just thought I'd ask anyway.

2. rockerZ71

rockerZ71 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    can't help, but I am glad to hear you ended up getting your nail gun

3. CMfromIL

CMfromIL XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure there will be someone that knows. I've not used a nail gun before, but it doesn't sound correct.

Is there a # to call DeWalt and ask? Good luck, and be safe. Don't want a nail in the head/hand!

4. JRB

JRB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea, found it for a steal on Toolking.com (under $100, brand new). Couldn't pass it up, and even got kudos from the wife on finding the deal. Was worried it was going to be a refurb or something, but it's perfectly brand new.

5. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +298 / 19
    I dunno what this "spring catch" thing you're talking about it, so I'm not sure if this will help. If you apply some force to the nails will they slide under the catch? If you pull the follower back will it grab the nails and pull them in? I have a cheapo harbor freight $19 brad nailer that just flips open. :rolleyes:

6. JRB

JRB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just talked to a DeWalt guy on the phone. He had the same nailer in front of him, and the retainer clip I'm talking about it to keep the nails pressed up against the magazine. He said there shouldn't be that much force and the nails should slide right past. Now as he said this he said he couldn't get his nails to pull back out of it, past that retainer clip. But sounds like there's an error in the gun. There's a local authorized repair shop he pointed me towards, I'll take it over there and have them look at it.

7. jkholt72

jkholt72 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On my Senco I just have the gun upside down, slide in the nails and have to give them a little nudge over the spring-loaded stopper, then pull back the pusher, and presto! Sounds like the same on you gun. The spring steel catch may have too much tension on it.

8. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yes, if the folower does nor lock back before loading the nails, then load the nails and rack the follower and all should be good

9. SwampCracker67

SwampCracker67 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a 25 yr. veteran Finish Carpenter so I'll bite...

Stick the strip of nails in....then, pull the spring loaded "follower"...it should pass right past the strip of nails and then the follower will "drop in" behind the nails...and it should be good to go...As a Pro, (if I am able to say that and not sound cocky)I have always used Senco nailers but, DeWalt setup shouldn't be that different...

Have fun...be aware of where your fingers are on the hand that is holding the wood you are nailing! (don't ask me how I know this!):p