Lee Pro 1000 Set-Up Tutorial (Sticky??)

Discussion in 'Hand Loaded Ammunition' started by Fastsc92, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Fastsc92

Fastsc92 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    First off, I am 100% new to reloading so I figured I'd make a simple set-up post that could help others that are thinking of getting into reloading. I hope it'll be usefull and maybe even be made a sticky by the moderator. These instructions show the set-up of a Lee Pro 1000 progressive press for 9mm.

I picked up my press from a local outdoor store for $139.00. It comes complete with carbide pistol dies, powder measurer, case feeder, primer feeder, ect. It is not nearly as nice as a Dillon or a RCBS press, but I think it'll get the job done. Many people have complained about the operation, but once it's set-up, it goes fairly smooth. Once you open the box you basically get this.

[​IMG]

The next step is to find a place to mount your press. You want something solid and permanent if possible. I didn't have that option so I made a separate mounting base that I clamp to the bench. Marking 3 holes for mounting, I drilled, counterbored and installed 3 carrige bolts. The large hole in the center is for spent primers to fall into and discard. The press is then bolted down and the mount is clamped to my sturdy bench.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was installing and setting up everything I decided to get my brass clean. I purchased a case tumbler kit from Cabela's that came with everything you need to get started ($57.00). Basically you fill the bowl 2/3 with media add a few capfuls of polish, walk away and about 90min later you get clean brass that looks brand new. I think this is a must have since it cleans and polishes your brass inside and out, saving wear and tear on your equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the cases are tumbling and getting shinny, its a good time to start installing and adjusting your dies. First off, put the turret in the top. It goes in a little off-center, and then a small twist lets it snap and seat in place, with the hole in the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next install the resizing and decapping die in the front position.

[​IMG]

Lower the handle on the press and this causes the shell plate and carrier to raise to the top of its stroke. With the handle firmly down, screw in the die so that it contacts the shell plate. Raise the handle a little and screw the die in an additional 1/4 turn. Lower the handle until the shellplate contacts the die, and screw in the lock nut.

[​IMG]

Next, install the expanding and powder fill die. This die adds flare to the case for bullet seating, and at the same time, it adds the measured powder into the case. Start with the same routine as before, lower the handle, and screw the die in until it makes contact with the shellplate. Once it makes contact, UNSCREW the die 1 full turn, and tighten the locknut. This position will give the minimum amount of flare, if you need more flare just screw the die in slightly. DO NOT let this die contact the shellplate at the top of it's stroke.

[​IMG]

Next, install the bullet seating and crimp die into the last station. Adjust this die by putting an empty case into the shellplate and raising it to the top of it's stroke. Screw the die in until it contacts the top of the case. Place a bullet on the empty case and use the top adjusting knob to increase bullet depth until it reaches a distance for your application. Once the depth has been reached, screw the die itself in one half turn. This will set the crimp and finish the operation. Additional adjustments can be make to add more crimp and adjust bullet depth. Again, DO NOT let the die contact the shell plate at the top of its stroke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, install the autodisk powder measurer. This simply screws into the expanding die. Position the lever towards the rear of the press as shown.

[​IMG]

The autodisk uses these disks to measure the powder. They are graduated by volume and have charts to match up the powder, vs how many grains you intend on adding. For my application I will be using 5.1 grains of Unique, which is # .53 on the disk. (The weighed charge to get 5.6grains of Unique actually requires disk #.73.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the empty case contacts the die, it moves the charge bar, which slides the full disk over the hole that enters the die/case.

[​IMG]

Next intall the hopper and fasten it with the two finger nuts as shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, take the chain from the kit, install the pedant about 10 beads from the bottom and add the spring as shown.

[​IMG]

Install the spring through the bottom of the carrier as shown and route towards the charge bar lever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the carrier at the extreme bottom position, pull the chain so its snug. Lift the carrier enough to allow one more bead to pass through the hole. This will preload the chain and keep constant tension on it. Pass the extra chain through the next hole in the lever as shown.

[​IMG]

Next intall the case feeder assembly. Align it so that it clears the turrett, and adjust the height so that when a case is on the slider, there is about 1-2mm of clearance as shown.

[​IMG]

Add the primer tray.

[​IMG]

Finished Set-up

[​IMG]

That completes the initial set-up of the press. Part two will go through the steps to complete a loaded round. (Coming soon....)

• Like Like x 1
  2. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    :cool:! I'll be checking out this thread when I'm ready to reload. Good tutorial.

3. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Nice!:cool:

4. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I love my Lee Pro 1000. My only recommendation is to convert the powder measure to an Auto Disk powder measure. Autodisk Conversion

I couldn't stand that stupid chain.

ETA: How to assemble the LEE PRO 1000 reloader for complete assembly/dissassembly of the Lee Pro 1000 shell plate assembly.

It comes in handy, I had to take off my shell plate and readjust stuff and couldn't remember how to put back a part or two.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. XD45X2

XD45X2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. XD45X2

XD45X2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1

I am ready for part II!

7. NBollinger

NBollinger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good job, great pictures. A must 'sticky'

8. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    +1 on this being a sticky.

9. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  10. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Suggestions for proper setup of any Lee progressive press:

First, acquire either a good hacksaw or 8# sledge.....:cool:

11. orrminator

orrminator XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You have the same exact setup as I do, Cabelas tumbler and everything. If you have started reloading then you may have noticed that the primer feed needs to be kept full all the time so that the weight of the primer keeps feeding them properly. As I get low on primers (if I am only doing 100 at a time) I find that I have to push the primers down the tube to ensure that they are fed properly.

12. Fastsc92

Fastsc92 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I tried something different the other day regarding the primer feed. I took everything apart, cleaned it up and I used Pledge Furniture polish on a rag and wiped down the primer ramp (snaps apart in two peices to do this). This leaves no residue but made the ramp slick as a whistle. When I get to about 10 primers left, I still have to use a pencil to push the primers down, but whatever, its not that bad and its only for the last 1 min of operation. Otherwise, I just keep that ramp full and it goes quickly.

I'm thinking about making some sort of counter weight that will keep pressure on the primers when the tray is empty. This sould be easy since the top of the ramp is open.

13. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Yep the trick to getting primer to feed is that keeping the area nice and clean.

14. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I keep a can of canned air handy for blowing any powder or brass shavings out of the area.

15. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    bump